U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 09:27 AM

24,557 posts, read 29,936,433 times
Default NeighborhoodScout's 100 Most Dangerous Cities in the United States

Intriguing. I never would have thought that West Hollywood was right next to Richmond?

Anyway, here's their findings.

Quote:
100 Most Dangerous Cities

Go to the link and click on a city to view crime stats:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

1 East St Louis, IL
2 Chester, PA
3 West Memphis, AR
4 Saginaw, MI
5 Camden, NJ
6 Detroit, MI
7 Flint, MI
8 Wilmington, DE
9 Atlantic City, NJ
10 St Louis, MO

11 Pontiac MI
12 Newburgh, NY
13 Riviera Beach, FL
14 Chelsea, MA
15 Myrtle Beach, SC
16 Inkster, MI
17 Spartansburg, SC
18 Oakland, CA
19 Memphis, TN
20 Harrisburg, PA

21 Harvey, IL
22 Salisbury, MD
23 New Haven, CT
24 Little Rock, AR
25 Baltimore, MD
26 Rockford, IL
27 Texarkana, TX
28 Desert Hot Springs, CA
29 Homestead, FL
30 Stockton, CA

31 Trenton, NJ
32 Pine Bluff, AR
33 Atlanta, GA
34 Cleveland, OH
35 Buffalo, NY
36 Compton, CA
37 Battle Creek, MI
38 Springfield, MA
39 Daytona Beach, FL
40 Washington, DC

41 Hartford, CT
42 Lake Worth, FL
43 Springfield, IL
44 Bridgeton, NJ
45 Alexandria, LA
46 Miami, FL
47 Cincinnati, OH
48 Fall River, MA
49 New Bedford, MA
50 Poughkeepsie, NY

51 Niagara Falls, NY
52 Philadelphia, PA
53 Holyoke, MA
54 Kansas City, MO
55 Rocky Mount, NC
56 Nashville, TN
57 Ft Pierce, FL
58 Brockton, MA
59 Norristown, PA
60 Hot Springs, AR

61 Richmond, CA
62 West Hollywood, CA
63 Sumter, SC
64 St Petersburg, FL
65 Ft Myers, FL
66 Lowell, MA
67 Elizabeth, NJ
68 Tulsa, OK
69 Orlando, FL
70 Lansing, MI

71 East Point, GA
72 Houston, TX
73 Paterson, NJ
74 San Bernardino, CA
75 Dayton, OH
76 Milwaukee, WI
77 Minneapolis, MN
78 Newark, NJ
79 North Miami, Fl
80 Rochester, NY

81 Goldsboro, NC
82 Chicago, IL
83 Danville, IL
84 Bessemer, AL
85 Youngstown, OH
86 Farmington, NM
87 New London, CT
88 Kingsville, TX
89 Schenectady, NY
90 Columbia, SC

91 Council Bluffs, IA
92 Lauderdale Lakes, FL
93 Mount Vernon, NY
94 Albany, NY
95 Carbondale, IL
96 Kissimmee, FL
97 Talahassee, FL
98 Jackson, MI
99 Nacogdoches, TX
100 Pompano Beach, FL

Last edited by Yac; 03-20-2012 at 06:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 09:43 AM

8,709 posts, read 4,830,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Intriguing. I never would have thought that West Hollywood was right next to Richmond?

Anyway, here's their findings.
Yeah WTF????

West Hollywood, if anything is yuppy-land.

I worked in Richmond, and that place is downright frightening. Lots of people milling around, nothing to do, drinking / smoking. Tons of zombies trudging down Macdonald Ave, I got turned around one time coming home from work and I was actually a little frightened in some of the residential neighborhoods (And I live in Hollywood, so I don't scare easily.).... I guess the hills really make up for the rest of the city.

Are property crimes weighted really high in this study? That is the only way I could imagine Weho being so high.

EDIT: I just took a look at that site.... definitely never going to use it. Look at where the most dangerous/high crime part of Weho is (adjacent to the upscale parts of Beverly Hills): Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
i

Last edited by Yac; 03-20-2012 at 06:47 AM..

Old 03-16-2012, 09:46 AM

24,557 posts, read 29,936,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Yeah WTF????

I worked in Richmond, and that place is downright frightening. Lots of people milling around, nothing to do, tons of zombies trudging down Macdonald Ave.... I guess the hills really make up for the rest of the city.

Are property crimes weighted really high in this study? That is the only way I could imagine Weho being so high.
WeHo seems way out of place(maybe public drunkeness is a factor?LOL), but Richmond has also seen a huge decline in crime over the past 5 years as well.

But I think your on to something about the hills. It seems that based on those maps that they factor in that some parts of town are more dangerous than others.

That's how I can explain Oakland being all the way down at 18th and not higher like it is in every other ranking--not that In complaining of course, I am happy to be 18th and not 4th or 5th.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:53 AM

18,511 posts, read 14,507,493 times
Sadly this list has many post industrial cities many times left in sub optimal conditions.

Am actually surprised to see DC as still more dangerous than Philly even with all the gentrification taking place

Also am somewhat surprised to see an aggregate fo Houston among the top 100 given the land area and many areas within the city more akin to suburban areas and more dangerous than Patterson or Newark NJ

Old 03-16-2012, 09:54 AM

6,797 posts, read 6,089,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Yeah WTF????

I worked in Richmond, and that place is downright frightening. Lots of people milling around, nothing to do, drinking / smoking. Tons of zombies trudging down Macdonald Ave, I got turned around one time coming home from work and I was actually a little frightened in some of the residential neighborhoods (And I live in Hollywood, so I don't scare easily.).... I guess the hills really make up for the rest of the city.

EDIT: I just took a look at that site.... definitely never going to use it. Look at where the most dangerous/high crime part of Weho is (adjacent to the upscale parts of Beverly Hills): Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Even in the flatlands of Richmond there's decent neighborhoods... North & East and Richmond Annex come to mind.

The majority of the Richmond flatlands though is the only area in CA that reminds me heavily of Gary Indiana... "economically depressed" is an understatement.

Last edited by Yac; 03-20-2012 at 06:47 AM..

Old 03-16-2012, 10:35 AM

10,424 posts, read 7,598,158 times
Oh look New Orleans didn't make the list.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:38 AM

5,531 posts, read 5,464,421 times
Neither did Gary, IN....which is pretty easily top 5 or 10. There's a few Chicago suburbs I don't see on the list that probably belong there (e.g. Maywood or South Holland). Somehow Minneapolis is above Chicago, Milwaukee, Newark and Youngstown, and I have a hard time believing that.

I'm not sure this data is very helpful...

Old 03-16-2012, 10:43 AM

1,138 posts, read 924,322 times
The only thing I can think of for WeHo is that the large number of clubs/bars contributes to stupid stuff like drunken fist fights, and that's all counted as "violent crime".

When you look at the map, the "most dangerous" areas are where all the clubs/bars are (along Sunset & Santa Monica blvds). So you have a huge population of club/bar-goers and a relatively small actual resident population.

That is literally the only reason I can think that WeHo would be on this list, because nobody I know considers WeHo the least bit "dangerous".

Old 03-16-2012, 11:08 AM

111 posts, read 108,636 times
Kudos to Newark!!!! #78, keep on progressing baby.
Sucks for Atlantic City.

And it's about time Fort Myers is recognized, I found it to be very sketchy in certain parts, it's very segregated in a way.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:17 AM

528 posts, read 579,633 times
yeah...i find it hard to believe DC and Minneapolis are more dangerous than Newark...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City