U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best food city after NYC?
Los Angeles 46 22.44%
Chicago 53 25.85%
Washington DC 5 2.44%
San Francisco/Bay Area 26 12.68%
Dallas-Fort Worth 5 2.44%
Philadelphia 25 12.20%
Houston 18 8.78%
Atlanta 6 2.93%
Miami 7 3.41%
Boston 4 1.95%
Other 10 4.88%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 02:33 PM

8,702 posts, read 11,351,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
If anything for sheer quantity.
I enjoyed my time in LA. Had a lot of good meals there. Wouldn't recommend getting a cheesesteak there haha, but the rest of my meals I really enjoyed and I was only there for 2 weeks, I couldn't imagine the places you discover when you live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 02:33 PM

78 posts, read 128,845 times
Philadelphia is a top city for food. I mean how many Iron Chef restaurants are in Philly? Like 1 million right? Philadelphia might not have the Fancy Smancy restaurants that cities like D.C have (even though Philadelphia has them). But it still is a top food city. I love Philadelphia and it's food. That's coming from a New Yorker right there. And I'm sure if many people actually traveled to each of these cities and tasted there food, you would have Philly at the top with New Orleans Miami Los Angeles and San Francisco. Man I'm going to order me a cheesesteak RIGHT NOW!

Old 03-16-2012, 02:36 PM

637 posts, read 745,230 times
I still don't see how SF Bay beats out LA, considering that all the natural advantages are the same, but there are way more options in LA rather than SF.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:37 PM

9,832 posts, read 7,325,783 times
Pretty ridiculous thread title. Who says NYC is "hands down" in this department? For day to day eating, L.A. is superior to New York City IMO.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 03-16-2012 at 02:53 PM..

Old 03-16-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Pretty ridiculous thread title. Who says NYC is "hands down" in this department? For day to day eating, L.A. is superior to New York City IMO.
In your opinion only, but most other people would disagree. And it's sort of useless to add it to a poll given that everyone will just vote for NYC regardless, so that's why I didn't add it.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:51 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,298,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
In your opinion only, but most other people would disagree. And it's sort of useless to add it to a poll given that everyone will just vote for NYC regardless, so that's why I didn't add it.
True. Which is to be expected, as a significantly larger percentage of the US population lives closer to NY than LA.

Last edited by nslander; 03-16-2012 at 03:03 PM..

Old 03-16-2012, 02:51 PM

9,832 posts, read 7,325,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
You have a point there. That has as much to do with the knee jerk reaction that NYC must be number #1 in every category as it does with the food IMO. Personally, the place has never lived up to the "food paradise" hype it receives.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:52 PM

672 posts, read 1,498,868 times
Quote:
Exactly! Insidious and trick question. And let it be know that there are people calling "bullsh*t" right now!

SF and LA are easily the best for the masses. We simply have enormous capacity and access to the freshest that cannot be matched. By the time our crops get to thier tables, they are tired and withered in comparison.

For example, to make perfect Mexican food, you need the freshest ingredients possible. Which is why you will NEVER, ever find good Mexican in NYC.

It is what it is. Truth hurts.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:59 PM

21,952 posts, read 30,822,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
Exactly! Insidious and trick question.

SF and LA are easily the best for the masses. We simply have enormous capacity and access to the freshest that cannot be matched. By the time our crops get to thier tables, they are tired and withered in comparison.

For example, to make perfect Mexican food, you need the freshest ingredients possible. Which is why you will NEVER, ever find good Mexican in NYC.

It is what it is. Truth hurts.
Honestly I really think you are overplaying this there is no shortage of excellent everyday food in many places nor fresh produce; though at certain times the cost is slightly higher because of the speedy shipping required or greenhouse grown goods.

CA is exceptional though in terms of produce no doubt (also you do realize there is some amazing home grown throughout much of the year on the East coast; believe it or not stuff grows here, ever here of the garden state, there is a reason for that, Lancaster PA is some the best growing space anywhere in the country etc.) My hometown is blessed to have the largest produce imprt center in the country oddly enough, fresh goods that wont even grow in Cali)

There is excellent Mexican food in NYC; hell there is an amazing mexican place by my office in the burbs of Philly with exceptionally fresh ingredients daily (http://www.elsarapebluebell.com/default.asp?contentID=588 (broken link)). Mexican is not as commonly good here though as are other cuisines in CA where on the whole it is typically very good. While Italian can be very good in LA and SF typically not as much good quality and in Philly Mexican can be excellent but not as consistent nor as many oferings.

And to say NYC doent have food for the masses; frankly are you kidding me?

You and Ray are as big of homers as anyone on the EC honestly

truth hurts

Last edited by kidphilly; 03-16-2012 at 03:08 PM..

Old 03-16-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
You have a point there. That has as much to do with the knee jerk reaction that NYC must be number #1 in every category as it does with the food IMO. Personally, the place has never lived up to the "food paradise" hype it receives.
....and this thread just became about NYC again, when it's clearly not part of the topic.

Quote:
How about between SF and LA? I still don't see how SF beats LA considering LA is much larger than SF and has the same natural advantages as SF.

Plus, I think people from New Orleans, Chicago (Chicago Deep Dish is amazing, so is Italian Beef, Chicago Hot Dogs, etc.), Philadelphia, etc. would disagree with you. Those above cities have distinct food culture that LA and SF doesn't quite have yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or