Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best food city after NYC?
Los Angeles 46 22.44%
Chicago 53 25.85%
Washington DC 5 2.44%
San Francisco/Bay Area 26 12.68%
Dallas-Fort Worth 5 2.44%
Philadelphia 25 12.20%
Houston 18 8.78%
Atlanta 6 2.93%
Miami 7 3.41%
Boston 4 1.95%
Other 10 4.88%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 01:18 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,372,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNative87 View Post
Locals aren't going to eat in Fisherman's Wharf, with perhaps the exception of Alioto's or Scoma's. Nor do most tourists or locals ever eat at Michelin star restaurants. Of course these restaurants add to the SF dining scene- but the city proper still dominates the area by a wide margin.
not all michelin restaurants are starred.... the starring system gives you a pretty good idea of the caliber of food in the area though... there is also bib gourmand, and others as well... the sf bay and wine guide from michelin has 100s of restaurant reviews as does zagats, my copies are from 2010 or something though.

You are;nt differentiating regular locals with foodies and gourmands, people who are into food are definitely eating at these places, maybe not the 2\3 star places, they often are too expensive and require reservations weeks or months and advance, but definitely the 1 stars, bib gourmands, and the rest of the ones in the guide.

Many people are into restuarants just as others are into shopping, sports, concerts or whatever... that is a good chunk of what people are spending their money on. i personally spend more money on travel/dining than all those other categories which i spend basically nothing on... i eat out many times a week, used to more so, but i havent been to a concert in a few years. likewise i couldnt name more than 2-3 players on the bears or cubs.

if i happen to be watching something on tv, its usually a food or travel show also.

trust me there are people out there reallly into food and the bay area as a whole is on their radar, nationally and globally. i know people who fly out to bay area just to eat at a couple restaurants as their main purpose for visiting. my friend who works at trotters just flew out there recently to do just that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 01:19 PM

36,623 posts, read 67,123,456 times
Quote:
Locals aren't going to eat in Fisherman's Wharf, with perhaps the exception of Alioto's or Scoma's. Nor do most tourists or locals ever eat at Michelin star restaurants. Of course these restaurants add to the SF dining scene- but the city proper still dominates the area by a wide margin.
Yes, but the entire region is widely recognized for its high quality restaurants, not just SF.

And foodies know that.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:21 PM

36,623 posts, read 67,123,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
not all michelin restaurants are starred.... the starring system gives you a pretty good idea of the caliber of food in the area though... there is also bib gourmand, and others as well... the sf bay and wine guide from michelin has 100s of restaurant reviews as does zagats, my copies are from 2010 or something though.
Yup, the bib gourmand restaurants are generally incredibly good too.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:31 PM

592 posts, read 824,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Again, Orange County is NOT LA! LA would hate for OC to be included with it, and vice versa. Just goes on to show your lack of knowledge about the city. And most people do think that LA has a great food scene, regardless of your opinion.

In addition, I'm sure that many restaurants in San Francisco are also "a drive away", as many live just outside the city, while LA has great restaurants one can walk to from their neighborhood. Your post reeks of ignorance.
And once again, no one is attacking LA's food scene. You need to settle down a bit. But lets just take a quick little look by using google. I'm literally going to go straight down the list of sites, so see what surveys and "experts" think about the best food/restaurant cities in America

America's Best Cities for Foodies- Page 2 - Articles | Travel + Leisure 2011

#1 New Orleans
#2 San Francisco
#12 Los Angeles

10 Best US Cities For Local Food (PHOTOS)

No rank, but SF/Berkeley on the list, LA left off.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/20/tr...-eat.html?_r=0

NYT quotes Bourdain as saying SF is his favorite city in America to eat.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

SF ranks #5, and second major city after Portland, OR. LA doesn't make list.

America's Best Food Trucks | Top Food Truck Cities - Jetsetter

CONGRATS LA, best food truck city in America. Not surprising at all.

Lets kick it up- best food cities in the world

Top 10 World Food Cities - AskMen

10- Guangzhou, China
9- Bologna, Italy
8- Cape Town, South Africa
7- Lyon, France
6- Singapore
5- Oaxaca, Mexico
4- Melbourne, Australia
3- New York City, USA
2- Montreal, Canada
1- San Francisco, USA

LA didn't make the honorable mention list.

Last edited by Yac; 10-10-2013 at 07:45 AM..

Old 09-16-2013, 01:32 PM

592 posts, read 824,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post

You are;nt differentiating regular locals with foodies and gourmands, people who are into food are definitely eating at these places, maybe not the 2\3 star places, they often are too expensive and require reservations weeks or months and advance, but definitely the 1 stars, bib gourmands, and the rest of the ones in the guide.

Many people are into restuarants just as others are into shopping, sports, concerts or whatever... that is a good chunk of what people are spending their money on. i personally spend more money on travel/dining than all those other categories which i spend basically nothing on... i eat out many times a week, used to more so, but i havent been to a concert in a few years. likewise i couldnt name more than 2-3 players on the bears or cubs.

if i happen to be watching something on tv, its usually a food or travel show also.

trust me there are people out there reallly into food and the bay area as a whole is on their radar, nationally and globally. i know people who fly out to bay area just to eat at a couple restaurants as their main purpose for visiting. my friend who works at trotters just flew out there recently to do just that.
I agree 100%

Old 09-16-2013, 02:01 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,144,030 times
Quote:
And once again, no one is attacking LA's food scene. You need to settle down a bit. But lets just take a quick little look by using google. I'm literally going to go straight down the list of sites, so see what surveys and "experts" think about the best food/restaurant cities in America

America's Best Cities for Foodies- Page 2 - Articles | Travel + Leisure 2011

#1 New Orleans
#2 San Francisco
#12 Los Angeles

10 Best US Cities For Local Food (PHOTOS)

No rank, but SF/Berkeley on the list, LA left off.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/20/tr...-eat.html?_r=0

NYT quotes Bourdain as saying SF is his favorite city in America to eat.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

SF ranks #5, and second major city after Portland, OR. LA doesn't make list.

America's Best Food Trucks | Top Food Truck Cities - Jetsetter

CONGRATS LA, best food truck city in America. Not surprising at all.

Lets kick it up- best food cities in the world

Top 10 World Food Cities - AskMen

10- Guangzhou, China
9- Bologna, Italy
8- Cape Town, South Africa
7- Lyon, France
6- Singapore
5- Oaxaca, Mexico
4- Melbourne, Australia
3- New York City, USA
2- Montreal, Canada
1- San Francisco, USA

LA didn't make the honorable mention list.
And there are many other lists where LA does make the list. Your point being? I doubt people think that Oaxaca has better food than LA, and no way does SF beat NYC in the food category (neither can Montreal for that matter).

Last edited by Yac; 10-10-2013 at 07:45 AM..

Old 09-16-2013, 02:45 PM

5,861 posts, read 15,173,601 times
One of the top things I love about living in Los Angeles the past 3 years is its food and restaurant scene. It's quite incredible imo. Quality food from around the world. I traveled extensively and around here in North America Los Angeles is somewhere near or at the top imho. No list, no surveys, no food experts, just my opinion.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:11 PM

5 posts, read 7,061 times
LA pioneered the California Roll making Sushi a popular eatery in the US. It has access to the freshest produce in the world and it doesnt cost the price of an embargo to put the veggies to use in our state. Food is overpriced in NYC and between us, my experience with food in NYC is a sorry taste. The chefs and kitchen staff in LA restaurants work more diligently to prepare a tasteful meal. In NYC, it looks like they pick out of the trash can and dump sauce over it then serve it to their guests. New Yorkers have a real taste for garbage

Old 09-17-2013, 06:43 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,524,718 times
Back under the bridge.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:29 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,874,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era LA View Post
LA pioneered the California Roll making Sushi a popular eatery in the US. It has access to the freshest produce in the world and it doesnt cost the price of an embargo to put the veggies to use in our state. Food is overpriced in NYC and between us, my experience with food in NYC is a sorry taste. The chefs and kitchen staff in LA restaurants work more diligently to prepare a tasteful meal. In NYC, it looks like they pick out of the trash can and dump sauce over it then serve it to their guests. New Yorkers have a real taste for garbage
Pointless nonfactual foolish comments like this is why so many good threads get locked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City