U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best food city after NYC?
Los Angeles 46 22.44%
Chicago 53 25.85%
Washington DC 5 2.44%
San Francisco/Bay Area 26 12.68%
Dallas-Fort Worth 5 2.44%
Philadelphia 25 12.20%
Houston 18 8.78%
Atlanta 6 2.93%
Miami 7 3.41%
Boston 4 1.95%
Other 10 4.88%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 03:06 PM

672 posts, read 1,497,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
You and Ray are as big of homers as anyone on the EC honestly
You're stretching, bro.

That's why we are making threads like this, automatically assuming #1, when it's clearly debatable.

As an objective observer, I can't believe you are defending this. Objectively, it's the same as leaving Philly OUT, let me just assume that it clearly does not compete. Would that be fair? See my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 03:10 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,295,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Honestly I really think you are overplaying this there is no shortage of excellent everyday food in many places nor fresh produce; though at certain times the cost is slightly higher because of the speedy shipping required or greenhouse grown goods.

CA is exceptional though in terms of produce no doubt (also you do realize there is some amazing home grown throughout much of the year on the East coast; believe it or not stuff grows here, ever here of the garden state, there is a reason for that, Lancaster PA is some the best growing space anywhere in the country etc.) My hometown is blessed to have the largest produce imprt center in the country oddly enough, fresh goods that wont even grow in Cali)

There is excellent Mexican food in NYC; hell there is an amazing mexican place by my office in the burbs of Philly with exceptionally fresh ingredients daily. Mexican is not as commonly good here though as are other cuisines n CA where on the whole it is typically very good

And to say NYC doent have food for the masses; frankly are you kidding me?

You and Ray are as big of homers as anyone on the EC honestly

truth hurts
While I'll be honest and admit to being a homer, I don't think objecting to the premise "NY is food capital of America, hands down" is in itself evidence of that tendency. But I do submit that bolstering that assumption IS evidence.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:11 PM

14,752 posts, read 27,518,778 times
Hey, I was right, and I didn't peek. While not a fan of Chicagoland as a place to live, I think that the mish-mosh of ethnicities and its previous position of "Second City" allow it to take this claim for food. I have only eaten at Italian restaurants in 2 different socioeconomic suburbs - in Melrose Park and on the North Shore. Both were very good.

Realistically, Montreal is considered second to NY for gastronomy, per some article I was reading in an airplane magazine. Much of it is too expensive, but I've never gotten a bad meal in Montreal.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:11 PM

672 posts, read 1,497,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
While I'll be honest and admit to being a homer, I don't think objecting to the premise "NY is food capital of America, hands down" is in itself evidence of that tendency. But I do submit that bolstering that assumption IS evidence.
Exactly! To turn this into an attack on one's purported homerism is ubsurd!

Old 03-16-2012, 03:12 PM

21,945 posts, read 30,803,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
You're stretching, bro.

That's why we are making threads like this, automatically assuming #1, when it's clearly debatable.

As an objective observer, I can't believe you are defending this. Objectively, it's the same as leaving Philly OUT, let me just assume that it clearly does not compete. Would that be fair? See my point.
To me as I said I think this is between Chicago and SF with LA being the wild card. I see no place surpassing NYC overall in food quite honestly and I love eating in SF as much as the next person, sorry

NYC in here would have made it a mute point, so was removed, if you dont like the thread dont participate

Old 03-16-2012, 03:15 PM

2,076 posts, read 2,963,161 times
What food does SF really do better than LA?

I think Mexican/Latino is unquestionably better in LA. Also, while most people think of great asian food with SF, LA has just as many if not more great spots.

So what area does SF beat LA, I'm curious cause I keep hearing it but I never noticed it though I lived in LA so I got to sample more food there.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:16 PM

637 posts, read 744,623 times
..and while people argue about NYC vs. SF/LA, Chicago is winning this thread by a huge margin.

Just stick to the thread guidelines. It's not that hard. If NYC was included, then everyone would vote for it who isn't from California. Hell, even some California posters would vote for it.

Leave it alone already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
What food does SF really do better than LA?

I think Mexican/Latino is unquestionably better in LA. Also, while most people think of great asian food with SF, LA has just as many if not more great spots.

So what area does SF beat LA, I'm curious cause I keep hearing it but I never noticed it though I lived in LA so I got to sample more food there.
I agree. LA is better than anything in SF. There is nothing that SF has that you can't get in LA, while there are things LA has that you can't get in SF.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:16 PM

21,945 posts, read 30,803,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
Exactly! Insidious and trick question. And let it be know that there are people calling "bullsh*t" right now!

SF and LA are easily the best for the masses. We simply have enormous capacity and access to the freshest that cannot be matched. By the time our crops get to thier tables, they are tired and withered in comparison.

For example, to make perfect Mexican food, you need the freshest ingredients possible. Which is why you will NEVER, ever find good Mexican in NYC.

It is what it is. Truth hurts.
Not sure this was so much calling the premis into question but proclaiming an absolute winner; correct?

Whatever I still stand behind my original post Chicago with SF right on its heels

Old 03-16-2012, 03:17 PM

10,087 posts, read 12,563,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
....and this thread just became about NYC again, when it's clearly not part of the topic.

How about between SF and LA? I still don't see how SF beats LA considering LA is much larger than SF and has the same natural advantages as SF.

Plus, I think people from New Orleans, Chicago (Chicago Deep Dish is amazing, so is Italian Beef, Chicago Hot Dogs, etc.), Philadelphia, etc. would disagree with you. Those above cities have distinct food culture that LA and SF doesn't quite have yet.
Honestly I was just trying to not be a homer haha...

I am more familiar with the food in LA - however I've only lived in LA proper for a year and some so I am no expert. It is pretty incredible the quality you get for the low price, especially if you are a big fan of Asian or Latin American cuisine.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:18 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,842,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
IMO this is a battle between San Fran, Chicago and Philly

All of them are viable candidates, some amazing places in every city listed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or