U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best food city after NYC?
Los Angeles 46 22.44%
Chicago 53 25.85%
Washington DC 5 2.44%
San Francisco/Bay Area 26 12.68%
Dallas-Fort Worth 5 2.44%
Philadelphia 25 12.20%
Houston 18 8.78%
Atlanta 6 2.93%
Miami 7 3.41%
Boston 4 1.95%
Other 10 4.88%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 06:16 PM

8,671 posts, read 8,828,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
The variety grown in CA is unmatched, that's what it comes down to
well at this point in time, you can get from 1 side of the country to the other in 6 hours, so freshness of West Coast Produce going to the East Coast is not really comprimised, and vice versa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 07:07 PM

5,793 posts, read 10,657,913 times
LA probably has the best variety and prices. Quality goes to NYC/Hudson Valley and San Francisco/Napa.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:37 PM

637 posts, read 747,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
How do LA and SF not do well in those categories as well? Why do you feel Chicago does better?
I don't think LA or SF doesn't do well, but I feel that Chicago's established food scene has more to do with why most people put it ahead, especially in the area of fine dining.

LA and SF are way too new to have made a palpable impact on the US' food scene, but are catching up.

IMO, LA far surpasses SF though, simply because its bigger. And bigger generally always means better options. Same thing with Chicago vs SF.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:41 PM

9,620 posts, read 12,828,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
LA and SF are way too new to have made a palpable impact on the US' food scene, but are catching up.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:54 PM

637 posts, read 747,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post

Maybe its just me, but burritos aren't very popular in the Northeast. Not saying no one likes it, but its not nearly as popular out here than there.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:07 PM

20,282 posts, read 21,867,833 times
Quote:
I don't think LA or SF doesn't do well, but I feel that Chicago's established food scene has more to do with why most people put it ahead, especially in the area of fine dining.

IMO, LA far surpasses SF though, simply because its bigger. And bigger generally always means better options. Same thing with Chicago vs SF.
LA is less established than SF and Chicago, but it's still great.

The Bay Area has had an undeniable influence on US's food scene. Thomas Kellor's The French Laundry is responsible for training many of the best chefs today including the chef of Alinea. The Bay Area actually has more Michelin stars than Chicago does.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Maybe its just me, but burritos aren't very popular in the Northeast. Not saying no one likes it, but its not nearly as popular out here than there.
Cause it's hard to find a decent one out there. I'm not joking: one of my biggest reasons for moving from Boston to CA at 18 was the lack of decent Mexican dining options in the region!

Old 03-17-2012, 08:15 PM

20,282 posts, read 21,867,833 times
Quote:
That's true, though the number of places that have popped up in NYC the last five years probably signals it was probably not lack of appreciation so much lack of opportunity. You can get pretty good burritos in a good number of places now, and it's not all Chipotle (which as far as fast food goes, isn't awful).

Old 03-17-2012, 08:18 PM

21,973 posts, read 30,906,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Cause it's hard to find a decent one out there. I'm not joking: one of my biggest reasons for moving from Boston to CA at 18 was the lack of decent Mexican dining options in the region!

Not sure if Boston is known for their mexican, never actually ate mexican in Boston, would not be the first choice there. I have had great mexican in NYC, NJ, and Philly and some better on the West Coast. I seek it out more on the west coast though and know where to get it where I live. Never even tried in Boston. While to me Mexican requires a little more seeking here (not too much really) I can find it. Not in the quantity nor on food trucks here mostly, that is reserved for other cuisines. Quite frankly if mexican or italian for that matter are defining why a city is better I am not on board.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Not sure if Boston is known for their mexican, never actually ate mexican in Boston, would not be the first choice there. I have had great mexican in NYC, NJ, and Philly and some better on the West Coast. I seek it out more on the west coast though and know where to get it where I live. Never even tried in Boston. While to me Mexican requires a little more seeking here (not too much really) I can find it. Not in the quantity nor on food trucks here mostly, that is reserved for other cuisines. Quite frankly if mexican or italian for that matter are defining why a city is better I am not on board.
There were a couple really good Mexican joints in Boston about 13-14 years ago. BeBop Burrito in Cambridge was opened by the head chef from Zona Rosa is SF and served some of the best Mexican I'd ever had, but they shuttered their doors.

My sisters and parents have told me that there are a couple places that have popped up in the Boston metro that are pretty good, though still nothing quite like out here.

As time goes on, I don't see any reason why more Mexican joints wouldn't open up, and why their quality wouldn't improve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or