Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Region with most diverse culinary options
Northeast 15 26.32%
Midwest 4 7.02%
South 13 22.81%
West 25 43.86%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 12:15 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Name one food you believe the Northeast has that no other region has? I'm willing to wager you're wrong.
Cape Verdean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 01:42 PM

637 posts, read 1,014,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
As far as diversity of foods is concerned the Northeast has a major advantage because of NYC being the most diverse dining city in the country. Then you throw in cities like Philly and Boston and you have a tough time matching up any other region with the Northeast.
Agreed.

Nothing can really touch NYC in diverse dining options. There are things there that can't be found outside the city.

I think NYC alone can take on the rest of the United States in terms of food and still win.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:49 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
Agreed.

Nothing can really touch NYC in diverse dining options. There are things there that can't be found outside the city.
I give NYC props for having as many options as it does; it's great that you can get so much within the confines of one city. It just seems that on the whole, the average quality of what you'll get elsewhere is lower.

Italian: Boston and Chicago
Mexican: LA, SF, TX, AZ, NM, etc.
Soul Food: Atlanta
Cajun: New Orleans
Indian: Boston, Greater Bay Area
Ethiopian: DC, Boston, LA, Seattle
Chinese: LA, SF
Vietnamese: LA
Thai: LA, SF
Korean: LA
Seafood: Seattle
Cuban: Miami

I guess it wins when it comes to individual islands in the Caribbean, but that's really it.

Quote:
I think NYC alone can take on the rest of the United States in terms of food and still win.
Nope. Not by any remote stretch! No one city can take on the whole of the US and win.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I give NYC props for having as many options as it does; it's great that you can get so much within the confines of one city. It just seems that on the whole, the average quality of what you'll get elsewhere is lower.

Italian: Boston and Chicago
Mexican: LA, SF, TX, AZ, NM, etc.
Soul Food: Atlanta
Cajun: New Orleans
Indian: Boston, Greater Bay Area
Ethiopian: DC, Boston, LA, Seattle
Chinese: LA, SF
Vietnamese: LA
Thai: LA, SF
Korean: LA
Seafood: Seattle
Cuban: Miami
But there is at LEAST one good restaurant in each of those categories that matches up with what you can find elsewhere. However, if there is a complete lack of that option, for example finding a good Puerto Rican restaurant in the Bay Area, then that's telling.

That's the magic of NYC, it doesn't NEED to have the best of every category but as long as it has a few good places that can match up, it wins in my book and a whole lot of other foodies book.

It's telling when you read a site like "Chowhound"

Quote:
Nope. Not by any remote stretch! No one city can take on the whole of the US and win.
We can agree to disagree here, because it really is my opinion.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:21 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post

I guess it wins when it comes to individual islands in the Caribbean, but that's really it.
Funny.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:30 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,056,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Cape Verdean?
That's a tricky one, I'm not sure of any but I do know both Atlanta and Miami have some small populations. Nothing like Boston but they're there so there is probably the food somewhere.

How about the Northeast though - have you got food from the Canary Isles? I know of a great little restaurant in Miami for food and music from the Canary Isles. I found a few places up in the Northeast with Wine from the Canary Isles but none with the cuisine.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:35 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,056,314 times
Or better yet if you can find me somewhere in New York that sells Samoan food - not Polynesian, not Hawaiin, but Samoan. Specifically Lu'au or Palusami (same dish different names) anywhere outside of the West Coast (Los Angeles and Salt Lake City) I'd be amazed.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:50 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times
Quote:
Or better yet if you can find me somewhere in New York that sells Samoan food - not Polynesian, not Hawaiin, but Samoan. Specifically Lu'au or Palusami (same dish different names) anywhere outside of the West Coast (Los Angeles and Salt Lake City) I'd be amazed.
No idea man! Cant tell you I have even tried the dish before in my life. But if you go back and read my post, I don't remember ever saying that every single type of food can be found in the Northeast (or specifically NYC) I just said no other city matches its diversity.

As you said there is a great place serving cuisine from the Canary Islands in Miami, but can you find every single type of food in Miami? Where is the Azorean cuisine or Cape Verdean as I mentioned or even Authentic Quebecois cuisine?. I am sure I could name a few more.

I have no specific loyalty to the Northeast, I just live here now (I am not from the area) but I will never deny that NYC gives the region a serious advantage when it comes to diversity of food.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
There are some Pacific Islander restaurants in Queens (really small places), but none off the top of my head serve Samoan.

However, no one is saying that NYC has EVERY single listed cuisine. Just the most different types. The Pacific Islands, while interesting, are really only one very minor part of the world that NYC may not excel as much in.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:29 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
But there is at LEAST one good restaurant in each of those categories that matches up with what you can find elsewhere. However, if there is a complete lack of that option, for example finding a good Puerto Rican restaurant in the Bay Area, then that's telling.
Parada 22 - Haight-Ashbury - San Francisco, CA
El Nuevo Frutilandia - Mission - San Francisco, CA

Quote:
That's the magic of NYC, it doesn't NEED to have the best of every category but as long as it has a few good places that can match up, it wins in my book and a whole lot of other foodies book.
That's not really magic; that's a food court!

Which actually is a pretty apt title... America's Food Court! Little bit o'everything. Not the best by any stretch, but, it'll hit the spot!

Quote:
However, no one is saying that NYC has EVERY single listed cuisine. Just the most different types. The Pacific Islands, while interesting, are really only one very minor part of the world that NYC may not excel as much in.
Sort of like CA with the Caribbean...

At the end of the day, I think a lot of it has to do with what sort of cuisines are your favorite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City