Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Region with most diverse culinary options
Northeast 15 26.32%
Midwest 4 7.02%
South 13 22.81%
West 25 43.86%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 07:10 PM

611 posts, read 1,600,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
So a city that has 8 million people and is

33% White
28% Hispanic
22% Black
12% Asian

Is less diverse than a city of 2.3 million and is

44% Hispanic
26% White
24% Black
6% Asian

Where almost every ethnic group is represented in the above categories, while the ones below are overwhelming Mexican, American White, African American, and Vietnamese/Indian.

Guess we learn something new everyday.

That's probably the only study you're going to find, and I bet some academic board is tearing it up.

Nothing beats NYC, not LA, not Houston, not SF, not anyone.

And if you need a citation, here's a simple one:
American FactFinder - Search
Why start a thread if you're already so sure of the answer? An ego boost?
Btw, hello Pollster!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 10:47 PM

662 posts, read 1,281,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
I'm sorry but perhaps your grasp of English isn't very good. An opinion would be going off arbitrary ideas and speculation, like what you had done. What I said was the opposite, it was going off published scholarly article.

I like that you posted the same article on two different sources, that's very good. Now Bloomberg hasn't picked up the Rice report yet but here is that same article you posted on Huffington Post:
New York More Diverse Than Los Angeles Thanks To Brooklyn Neighborhood: Study

Now that was a year ago. Here is Huffington Post less than a month ago:
Houston Surpasses New York And Los Angeles As The 'Most Diverse In Nation'

And again my point in this thread as you can see in every post I've made in it isn't too say Houston is the best, the South is the best, NYC is the worst, or anything of the like. It is simply to say that the answer is equal because these are vast regions and there are enough diversity in cities like Miami, San Francisco, Houston, Boston, NYC, Chicago and so on that to say one region has more diverse food options of another region is silly.
The "most diverse city" depends on the metrics being used by the researchers rather than any true definitive statement. Diversity can be very much qualitative as quantitative. There are just as many studies saying LA or Miami are the most diverse due to their minority-majorities, or NYC for linguisitic diversity, or Houston as stated above.

With that being said, just because a city or state is the only place with a single Vanuatuan man living there, doesn't mean he'll be compelled to start a Vanuatuan restaurant.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:42 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,404,388 times
Lived in NJ suburbs of NYC in the 80's, immpossible to find decent Mexican or BBQ then. When did they wake up and become so enlightened and diverse food wise?

Old 03-26-2012, 08:55 PM

637 posts, read 1,014,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Lived in NJ suburbs of NYC in the 80's, immpossible to find decent Mexican or BBQ then. When did they wake up and become so enlightened and diverse food wise?
A lot has changed in the past 20 years...there are Mexicans everywhere in the NY area now.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:08 PM

239 posts, read 509,132 times
I'm from Long Island so I know NYC well. I agree it's the most diverse, however diverse doesn't always mean quality. NYC top qualities are Italian and Kosher (Jewish) IMO.

I cannot find any Mexican in NYC that is as good as the Southwest (and I'm not counting places like Rosa Mexicano). I also don't know any Cuban restaurants in NYC, but are they going to be as good as Miami? Same with Cajun, Hawaiian, etc.

But if we're talking it terms of only food diversity, NYC probably wins.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:40 PM

637 posts, read 1,014,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNNY View Post
I'm from Long Island so I know NYC well. I agree it's the most diverse, however diverse doesn't always mean quality. NYC top qualities are Italian and Kosher (Jewish) IMO.

I cannot find any Mexican in NYC that is as good as the Southwest (and I'm not counting places like Rosa Mexicano). I also don't know any Cuban restaurants in NYC, but are they going to be as good as Miami? Same with Cajun, Hawaiian, etc.

But if we're talking it terms of only food diversity, NYC probably wins.
Isn't that dependent on cook and not on the city? I mean, if a Cuban chef known for Cuban food moves from Miami to NYC, does it mean that the quality of his dishes will be worse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City