U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-26-2012, 07:17 PM

5,101 posts, read 4,937,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
That is the same place Colorado Springs finds itself in as they are between two population centers, Denver to the north and Pueblo to the south. As the front range grows Pueblo will be large enough to command a region south, east and west but Colorado Springs, no mater how big they get, will always find themselves between two major cities and that will always be a hindrance on the region they control. That is why a big factor on regional influence is location and infrastructure when it is determined what region a city has influence over.
I hate to break it to ya, bud, but Colorado Springs is between two population centers...Denver and Albuquerque.

Pueblo might "command" a 20 county region...but it's 20 counties of largely nothingness.

Influence also has a lot to do with perception...and a lot more people know of Colorado Springs than know of Pueblo. And this is not something that is going to change anytime soon, given that CS is growing considerably faster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 07:39 PM

10,306 posts, read 11,759,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
I hate to break it to ya, bud, but Colorado Springs is between two population centers...Denver and Albuquerque.

Pueblo might "command" a 20 county region...but it's 20 counties of largely nothingness.

Influence also has a lot to do with perception...and a lot more people know of Colorado Springs than know of Pueblo. And this is not something that is going to change anytime soon, given that CS is growing considerably faster.

Colorado Springs is more known because of the military but this is not a popularity contest as the Spring would win that. I get that and they can have it as I would not want Pueblo to be a military town. Albuquerque is to far to have any influence on Colorado. Yes Colorado Springs will grow fast but so will Pueblo as the regional planners have forecasted Pueblo to grow 11 times more in the next 30 years then it did in the past 50. That will put the city over 300,000 people by 2040 and while smaller then Colorado Springs it will be large enough to have everything people need south, east and west of Pueblo. That means people from that area will do most of their shopping in Pueblo as they can care less where they shop as long as the city has what they need. Even now Pueblo has the only mall and certain department stores south of Colorado Springs in the state and why people from as far as New Mexico drive to Pueblo. This makes Pueblo a regional city and a important city in the state something that due to its location Colorado Springs will never have.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:46 PM

5,101 posts, read 4,937,571 times
Quote:
Colorado Springs is more known because of the military but this is not a popularity contest as the Spring would win that. I get that and they can have it as I would not want Pueblo to be a military town. Albuquerque is to far to have any influence on Colorado. Yes Colorado Springs will grow fast but so will Pueblo as the regional planners have forecasted Pueblo to grow 11 times more in the next 30 years then it did in the past 50. That will put the city over 300,000 people by 2040 and while smaller then Colorado Springs it will be large enough to have everything people need south, east and west of Pueblo. That means people from that area will do most of their shopping in Pueblo as they can care less where they shop as long as the city has what they need. Even now Pueblo has the only mall and certain department stores south of Colorado Springs in the state and why people from as far as New Mexico drive to Pueblo. This makes Pueblo a regional city and a important city in the state something that due to its location Colorado Springs will never have.
Future growth projects don't really have any bearing about the current state of things.

I think it's great that you have enormous pride in your city, but the reality is, as it stands right now, Colorado Springs is a more important city than Pueblo. That's not going to change any time real soon. Maybe someday...not now.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:49 PM

30 posts, read 40,214 times
@Josseppie

SMH. Colorado Springs isn't "in between" two MAJOR population centers, LMAOOO. Colorado Springs is below one major population center, Denver. Colorado Springs controls all of Pueblo and their surrounding counties. This is well known in Colorado economics and politics. Pueblo is a major population center?? Give me a break. All those 140 counties are rural areas that account for less than 5% of the total population of the state. Colorado Springs and El Paso county have a much larger population than all those counties combined.

As for schools, are you serious? CSU Pueblo is a last resort college for kids who slacked off in high school and couldn't make it into their top choices. NO ONE wants to go to that school. AND it's the least prestigious state school in Colorado. Colorado Springs has the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs which is ranked 7th IN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY for engineering, The United States Air Force Academy which is ranked #10 BEST UNIVERSITY IN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY and second best in the west after Stanford, AND Colorado College which is a nationally recognized private school and ranked #26 BEST LIBERAL ARTS COLLEGE IN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY. Guess what....CSU Pueblo doesn't even have a significant ranking in any category, if at all.

Let's not forget the REAL reason why anyone would move to that toilet bowl of a city...Pueblo is ranked as the #1 cheapest "city" to live IN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY. Perhaps it's because no one wants to live there? Or maybe it's because of the EXTREMELY high crime rate? Or how about the nearly 20% of the population that lives under the poverty line due to NO JOBS in that little pot hole town? Pueblo wouldn't even exist if it weren't for Colorado Springs being close enough for the THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS of Pueblo residents to commute to Colorado Springs for work. Yeah, what an economic power house .

As I've said, keep living in that fantasy world. Colorado Springs has gained more people in a decade than Pueblo has gained in it's entire existence. Pueblo will never surpass Colorado Springs in either population, economy OR relevance. It's just Pueblo's place in the world. Deal with it and quit clogging these forums with your propaganda. It's pitiful.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:53 PM

1,308 posts, read 1,266,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_U_SERIOUS? View Post
@Josseppie

SMH. Colorado Springs isn't "in between" two MAJOR population centers, LMAOOO. Colorado Springs is below one major population center, Denver. Colorado Springs controls all of Pueblo and their surrounding counties. This is well known in Colorado economics and politics. Pueblo is a major population center?? Give me a break. All those 140 counties are rural areas that account for less than 5% of the total population of the state. Colorado Springs and El Paso county have a much larger population than all those counties combined.

As for schools, are you serious? CSU Pueblo is a last resort college for kids who slacked off in high school and couldn't make it into their top choices. NO ONE wants to go to that school. AND it's the least prestigious state school in Colorado. Colorado Springs has the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs which is ranked 7th IN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY for engineering, The United States Air Force Academy which is ranked #10 BEST UNIVERSITY IN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY and second best in the west after Stanford, AND Colorado College which is a nationally recognized private school and ranked #26 BEST LIBERAL ARTS COLLEGE IN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY. Guess what....CSU Pueblo doesn't even have a significant ranking in any category, if at all.

Let's not forget the REAL reason why anyone would move to that toilet bowl of a city...Pueblo is ranked as the #1 cheapest "city" to live IN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY to live. Maybe because no one wants to live there? Or maybe it's because of the EXTREMELY high crime rate? Or how about the nearly 20% of the population that lives under the poverty line due to NO JOBS in that little pot hole town? Pueblo wouldn't even exist if it weren't for Colorado Springs being close enough for the THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS of Pueblo residents to commute to Colorado Springs for work. Yeah, what an economic power house .

As I've said, keep living in that fantasy world. Pueblo will never surpass Colorado Springs in either population, economy OR relevance. It's just [Pueblo's place in the world. Deal with it and quit clogging these forums with your propaganda. It's pitiful.
Yeah they do. Coupons. lol

Old 03-26-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Future growth projects don't really have any bearing about the current state of things.

I think it's great that you have enormous pride in your city, but the reality is, as it stands right now, Colorado Springs is a more important city than Pueblo. That's not going to change any time real soon. Maybe someday...not now.
Even now the Pueblo MSA is over 160,000 people and has retail stores like Best Buy, JC Penny, Dillards etc that people come to from a large geographic region to shop at. That is what gives a city a regional city status. This is not what might happen in the future or what has happened in the pat but what is going on now. This make Pueblo a regional city and gives it the second city status despite it population.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:58 PM

3,720 posts, read 3,046,009 times
Isnt Josseppie the person who kept saying Pueblo skyline beats chicago skyline in a thread. I though it was her.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:01 PM

3,720 posts, read 3,046,009 times
Ohio
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Columbus
Toledo
Dayton
Akron
Youngstown
Canton
Springfeild

Old 03-26-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
@Josseppie

In the west a city over 100,000 people is a major population center because there and few and they are far between. Yes the other counties are small but they come to Pueblo to shop and use our health care facilities. That makes Pueblo a regional and a hub city both key factors in determining what is the second most important city in the state.

Quote:
Both are good schools in great systems. The big difference is sports and CSU Pueblo has football and like it or not it will help get the school attention UCCS will never get by not having it.

As far as being the school no one wants to go to. That was true when it was known as the University of Southern Colorado and even I made fun of it and it was nearly closed in the 90's. Once it became part of the Colorado State system and the name changed about 7 years ago all that changed and now its one of the fastest growing schools in the state and with its football program getting great national coverage in D2 sports.

Quote:
Let's not forget the REAL reason why anyone would move to that toilet bowl of a city...Pueblo is ranked as the #1 cheapest "city" to live IN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY to live. Maybe because no one wants to live there? Or maybe it's because of the EXTREMELY high crime rate? Or how about the nearly 20% of the population that lives under the poverty line due to NO JOBS in that little pot hole town? Pueblo wouldn't even exist if it weren't for Colorado Springs being close enough for the THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS of Pueblo residents to commute to Colorado Springs for work. Yeah, what an economic power house .
I get it you don't like Pueblo. Yes it is cheap to live here and we have plenty of water. I like that because I can have a nice house and go to nice restaurants and pay less then someone would in Colorado Springs or Denver yet I have all the amenities you would find in a city.

Quote:
As I've said, keep living in that fantasy world. Colorado Springs has gained more people in a decade than Pueblo has gained in it's entire existence. Pueblo will never surpass Colorado Springs in either population, economy OR relevance. It's just Pueblo's place in the world. Deal with it and quit clogging these forums with your propaganda. It's pitiful.
I grant you Pueblo will never pass Colorado Springs up in total population nor does it have to to be the states second city. Finally I am not clogging up the forum as I gave my opinion just like everyone else about the topic the OP asked about and responded to people who said I was wrong just like other people have.

Last edited by Josseppie; 03-26-2012 at 08:24 PM..

Old 03-26-2012, 08:16 PM

30 posts, read 40,214 times
Quote:
...The big difference is sports and CSU Pueblo has football and like it or not it will help get the school attention UCCS will never get by not having it...
So you skip the other schools I name and single out the least known of the three? The United States Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs has a well known and established Division I football program which is actually competitive....CSU Pueblo has an up-start Division II football program. Advantage, Colorado Springs. How skewed can your perception possibly be?...

And Pueblo's skyline is better than Chicago's???? Seriously, just move on. You're not winning any battles here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City