U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 11:57 PM

9,326 posts, read 7,585,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran103 View Post
Fine, BMW versus a Cadillac. But it's still not a difficult choice. The former simply has a stronger reputation of luxury among the 1%.
It'd be a more difficult choice if merit was involved somehow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 12:25 AM

65 posts, read 9,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
lol @ listing a bunch of overpriced German cars with sub-average reliability.

The Asian cars are the best made out there. The Euros pretty much hang their hats on looks these days.

I'm not a huge fan of American cars, but they've improved considerably, while the Germans have not. At present, I would take a Ford sedan over a similar German counterpart.
You've never driven a german car I take it? I have a Mercedes S550 that someone rear ended right as I was about to leave the city for a trip. The dealer ran out of Mercedes loaners and gave me a dumpy Ford rental car and I felt like I was gonna die as I drove out of the building. Scary car. I returned it and used the train.

There is nothing quite like German engineering.

Last edited by alexander8; 03-23-2012 at 12:35 AM..

Old 03-23-2012, 01:37 AM

4,908 posts, read 4,249,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander8 View Post
You've never driven a german car I take it?
You would be mistaken.

And German engineering is great, except when you figure in the cost to maintain the damn things.

I'd pick a Japanese make over a German make almost every time.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:22 AM

78 posts, read 67,254 times
Quote:
It has nothing to do with that. It's because wealth is concentrated on the coasts. If someone has a choice between an BMW and a Ford Fiesta, it's really not a difficult choice.
That makes no since. How about this, a choice between a BMW and a Cadillac. That's a better comparison dude.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:31 AM

78 posts, read 67,254 times
Quote:
Fine, BMW versus a Cadillac. But it's still not a difficult choice. The former simply has a stronger reputation of luxury among the 1%.

Seriously no one gives a flying sh*t.

American cars are more popular in AMERICA. A-M-E-R-I-C-A. No one cares about a luxury reputation? In Europe, they think American cars are the sh*t, while here in the U.S of A, we think that European cars are the sh*t. A BMW will cost the same price as a Chevy in Europe. I've studied cars for a while and I personally know that.

Personally I'm sick of people on this site acting like theirs something wrong with American made cars. And act like if you have a European car, that means you are better then someone else with an American car. (Not all people, but the ones I experience). The O.P posting these statistics is just another booster for his beloved San Francisco. I'm not stupid.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:32 AM

9,326 posts, read 7,585,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander8 View Post
There is nothing quite like German engineering.
You're right. That's why Germans are the only ones who know how to fix the damn things when something goes wrong. It's total overkill.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:40 AM

2,716 posts, read 3,817,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp Point View Post
New York should be at the top for american cars. Must be the immigrants.

Philadelphia is also surprising. Here in Philly, all I see is euromobiles.
I agree on Philly. They are definitely under-counting the euro-car market. Audis, Volvos, Benzs and Bimmers seem like a dime a dozen here.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:21 AM

2,326 posts, read 1,522,426 times
I prefer Japanese over American-made automobiles. I've wasted enough blood, sweat, and asprin with American cars.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:41 AM

1,109 posts, read 1,096,365 times
The American luxury carmakers are not very competitive save the CTS but that doesn't tell you much when you're talking about the Germans. For the most part, lots of those who drive American luxury cars tend to be from the older demographic which also means that the Americans are a bit behind to reach their European rivals.

Moving a little more down-to-earth, the big 3 American automakers are actually doing quite well. Chevy puts out the new cruze to compete with the civic and corolla and with that new Eco model, there's no reason for anyone to not buy this car. 6 speed, 40mpg, great ride quality, there's not even direct injection!

In short, the American big 3 are not doing bad at all. They are now miles ahead from before. However, Americans need to be a little more open-minded when it comes to cars because Americans are probably not the most intelligent people when it comes to buying them, especially when the Americans themselves are doing a lot better than before.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:03 AM

2,440 posts, read 2,683,120 times
This has very little to do with snobbery and much more to do with regional differences in driving methodology and cost to acquire cars. For example in Detroit a significant majority of the population compared to anywhere else works for the car industry, that typically includes special rates.

In California it is cheaper to import cars from Japan and there's a large Asian market and long commutes making that a good choice.

And for people saying European cars are snobbier or more superior to American cars - they aren't. American cars simply don't enter as heavily into the sports and luxury sedan markets but they do enter into the highly competitive and very expensive truck market. Something no European car has yet to do and only one Japanese car has done successfully (Toyota). A good base pickup truck is going to start at about 40 but in reality after optional packages it'll be closer to 65 and that's just dealership packages not the added foglights, rims, wheels so-on. If you've ever been anywhere in the South you'd know a pickup truck is far superior to a European car. I look out in the parking lot of the office complex I work every day and there's always this one really hot pickup and a really nice porsche. I look at one, and look at the other and know that with the pickup I can work on it myself or take it to any mechanic. With the Porsche I'd have to pay 2 grand just to get a laser alignment done.

Meanwhile who in a congested city like NYC or San Francisco would be driving a huge pickup truck that doesn't fit in spaces..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City