Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 10:12 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times

Advertisements

Its that time of year again where every plant starts to come back to life. Which city do you think makes the best transition from winter to spring? Please add pictures if you have any!!

my votes are...D.C., Denver, and Minneapolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 10:19 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,760 times
Any place in the south that is humid produces a gorgeous spring

Old 03-24-2012, 02:54 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,287,236 times
DC, if only because winters are so utterly depressing (not really cold enough to snow, so it's just windy and barren, the city doesn't make much of the season etc) and spring is gorgeous enough on its own with incredible weather and cherry blossoms.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:20 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Its that time of year again where every plant starts to come back to life. Which city do you think makes the best transition from winter to spring? Please add pictures if you have any!!

Lemme tell you why I don't think it's Minneapolis......Minny goes from very cold (which we all know) to pretty damn warm to borderline hot in a VERY short period of time. If you look at the Sine curve for its avg high temps, it's the steepest of the major cities in the country. FOR THIS REASON, Spring is very short -- beautiful, but short -- and very wet (change in temps and all).

I personally prefer places where it goes from cold to warm/hot (i.e. 4 seasons) but is a smoother, longer transition: D.C., Cleveland/Cincy/Columbus, Detroit, Baltimore/Boston/Philly/NYC, St. Louis/Indy/Milwaukee/KC, and probably Denver.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:30 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Any place in the south that is humid produces a gorgeous spring
^^^ With tall trees. The south is very pleasing to eyes during the spring, but it's hell on your other senses. Bugs and pollen out the ass.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:40 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,774,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post

Denver? Nah, what's so great about spring in Denver? I much prefer the amazing summer Spring is short on the Front Range, and some of the nastiest weather is in Mar/Apr.

I can't say it's the best, but west of Austin/SA in the Hill Country has a beautiful spring due to the wildflowers - especially good this year after the wet, wet winter:

http://www.highlandlakes.com/wildflowers/

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...AaHWsgKLmp2HCw

Old 03-24-2012, 10:32 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Yes, pretty much ANY Deep South city has glorious springs. From personal experience I can tell you Savannah is at its peak right now -- virtually every direction you look is an explosion of color. Of course, the pollen levels are off the charts. That's why they make Claritin.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:42 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
The Pacific Northwest has a long, temperate, and very impressive spring. It rains and rains and rains during the winter. The clouds part, some spring showers come and go, and everything greens up so beautifully. In a place that is already very green, the intensity of the bloom in cities like Seattle and Portland are unparalelled. Spring blooms in the Northwest start early in late February and gradually go on well into May. One especially good place to spot spring bloom are the gardens (Japanese and Rose Gardens) at Washington Park in Portland, OR. It's absolutely glorious!

Old 03-24-2012, 11:43 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
Denver? Nah, what's so great about spring in Denver? I much prefer the amazing summer Spring is short on the Front Range, and some of the nastiest weather is in Mar/Apr.

I can't say it's the best, but west of Austin/SA in the Hill Country has a beautiful spring due to the wildflowers - especially good this year after the wet, wet winter:

Wildflowers in the Hill Country of Central Texas

hill country wildflowers - Google Search
I grew up in Denver, so I might just be a homer but the second the weather starts getting warm, everything just starts to come back to life, the trees are just really pretty, and watching the plains get some color is cool.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:36 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,387,154 times
DC's spring is pretty hard to beat, what with the cherry blossoms and abundant treescapes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City