Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 10:44 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,487,748 times

Advertisements

Man, I hate them! I've lived in Southern California all my life and grew up in apartments so sure, every so often we'd see them, but not too often. We moved a lot and my mom was pretty clean so we were mostly lucky.

Fast forward a few decades... second hubby and I have been living in an apartment for over 8 years and just last month saw a couple of roaches for the very first time!! Nothing much different, same cooking, cleaning habits, no new neighbors downstairs...

Anyway, the apartment office sent over a bug guy a few days ago... since I've only seen a few he suggested he'd put down a gel in places rather than the whole spray thing for now. He said it might take a week or two. I was hoping to start putting back the stuff I took out of my pantry, but just now saw one crawling around in there! I'm so freaked out! I feel sick! Hubby's on a walk right now, or I'd have him get rid of it.
Okay, so I guess I'll wait some more before putting the stuff back.

Like most normal humans, I'm not fond of insects, and I can handle just about anything except for roaches!! I might jump if I see a spider or other crawley thing, but... I mean, it's almost like a phobia where I'm almost sick to my stomache and nearly crying if I see a roach!

Ug so that just got me thinking... if hubby and I were ever to move from California, (we're always toying with the idea, but the stars haven't aligned yet) what state has few roachy problems? I know to stay away from NYC!

Anyway, I know anywhere one lives if it aint one thing it's another... first world problem, but I'm really curious! Is there such a place???

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 10:53 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,092,111 times
I was in Chicago and didn't see a single one. Surely don't move to NOLA because they are everywhere.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:57 PM

143 posts, read 157,227 times
I've lived in WA state for almost 30 years and have never seen one, you'd be safe here

Old 10-06-2016, 01:49 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,487,748 times
Oh wow, when we were in Nola one.spring we didn't notice any, but I'm sure the hotels and restaurants would be on top of keeping them out of sight to keep tourists coming back.
So maybe they thrive in heat and humidity?

Ah ha! Another win for the state of Washington, a state we definitely enjoy very much the times we've visited. Aside from the climate, (my hubby is from England and this California native fell in love with the rain over there as well as him) I also hear there aren't too many mosquitoes and rattlesnakes.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:00 PM

5,839 posts, read 6,108,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I was in Chicago and didn't see a single one. Surely don't move to NOLA because they are everywhere.
True that.

Had them growing up in Houston, the flying kind, no less.

Had them when I lived in New Orleans

Had them when we lived in Jacksonville (although they called them Palmetto bugs). Sorry, guys, but it's a roach.

Had them when we lived in Wichita Falls- my 8 month old daughter had just learned to crawl and ate a dead one on our porch. When I looked over and saw a nasty roach leg sticking out of her mouth, I thought I would throw up. My husband wasn't home, so I had to dig it out of her mouth.

Did not have many the 5 years we lived in Columbia, MO, and I never saw one the 3 years we recently lived in Denver. In fact, I rarely saw bugs of any kind there, so that's it......go to Denver Now, we are back in Houston, and we live on the water.....so back to having roaches. Edit to Add: looks like our next stop may have to be Washington State.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:29 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,078,747 times
D.C. has a decent amount. When I would take late night runs I would see a ton of them on the sidewalks.

Old 10-06-2016, 02:40 PM

6,893 posts, read 7,523,007 times
I think it's a matter of cold.

When I lived in West Texas the roaches were HUGE! I still remember waking up after one ran across my eyelashes !

But once you start going North, you don't see them. I don't remember seeing any in Iowa, and definitely not in Minnesota.

Old 10-06-2016, 02:56 PM

159 posts, read 267,043 times
Alaska???????????

Old 10-06-2016, 09:24 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,092,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mantegna View Post
I've lived in WA state for almost 30 years and have never seen one, you'd be safe here
Didn't see them there either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
True that.

Had them growing up in Houston, the flying kind, no less.

Had them when I lived in New Orleans

Had them when we lived in Jacksonville (although they called them Palmetto bugs). Sorry, guys, but it's a roach.

Had them when we lived in Wichita Falls- my 8 month old daughter had just learned to crawl and ate a dead one on our porch. When I looked over and saw a nasty roach leg sticking out of her mouth, I thought I would throw up. My husband wasn't home, so I had to dig it out of her mouth.

Did not have many the 5 years we lived in Columbia, MO, and I never saw one the 3 years we recently lived in Denver. In fact, I rarely saw bugs of any kind there, so that's it......go to Denver Now, we are back in Houston, and we live on the water.....so back to having roaches. Edit to Add: looks like our next stop may have to be Washington State.
Houston too, anywhere on the coast.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:56 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,791,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mantegna View Post
I have seen a few here in central WA which is a desertish part of the state. Yet they are tiny, around 10% of the size of the huge roaches I would frequently see when I lived in Las Vegas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.