U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 08:48 AM

927 posts, read 1,394,114 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend are considering a move from the NYC area to either Washington DC or Los Angeles late this summer. Below is a list of things we are looking for in a city. Which do you think is the better match for us?

We are both in our mid-20's and looking for our next adventure. We're looking for an active city. Lots to do outdoors (biking, hiking, walking) and big exercise culture (yoga, spinning, etc). Film production jobs for my boyfriend. We know LA is the obvious answer for that, but DC also seems quite busy as well for it too? Nice studios and 1-bedrooms for $1600-$1750-ish. Walkable neighborhood with access to public transport - we'd like to get by with either just one car or no cars between the two of us. Good music scene and bar scene. We like older buildings with lots of character, or bungalows/small single-family homes. Not so into the highrise luxury apartment thing or cookie-cutter box apartments. Ideally we'd like mountains/ocean to be within a 1-2 hour drive away.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 08:55 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,482,987 times
Both cities are equally strong in most of the categories you've listed. Rent will be lower in LA, car free living will be easier in DC (though certainly possible in LA). I have to give LA the edge for your last criteria. It provides closer beach and mountain access than DC, and I would argue that in each case, what LA offers is better.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:07 AM

4,037 posts, read 8,059,476 times
I agree wit HenryAlan. If car free living is important then you should definitely pick DC. I know plenty of people of all ages and incomes that don't have a car in DC.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:13 AM

Thank you both!

My boyfriend is really leaning towards LA, and I'm leaning towards DC.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:37 AM

10,087 posts, read 13,061,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
My boyfriend are considering a move from the NYC area to either Washington DC or Los Angeles late this summer. Below is a list of things we are looking for in a city. Which do you think is the better match for us?

We are both in our mid-20's and looking for our next adventure. We're looking for an active city. Lots to do outdoors (biking, hiking, walking) and big exercise culture (yoga, spinning, etc). Film production jobs for my boyfriend. We know LA is the obvious answer for that, but DC also seems quite busy as well for it too? Nice studios and 1-bedrooms for $1600-$1750-ish. Walkable neighborhood with access to public transport - we'd like to get by with either just one car or no cars between the two of us. Good music scene and bar scene. We like older buildings with lots of character, or bungalows/small single-family homes. Not so into the highrise luxury apartment thing or cookie-cutter box apartments. Ideally we'd like mountains/ocean to be within a 1-2 hour drive away.

What do you think?
For the bolded reasons I would pick LA...

All of your other criteria (music, walkable neighborhoods) is certainly found in LA (especially if the two of you plan to share one car - which is what my wife and I do). I'm very partial to the DC music scene but LA's is excellent as well.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:37 PM

21,921 posts, read 23,488,911 times
Where will you be working?

I'll say that your boyfriend will definitely need a car if he works on set, because location shoots go all over the place. You can still have a fairly nice and walkable neighborhood in LA with mass transit options though (especially if you have a smartphone which makes navigating buses much simpler which would greatly expand what the light rail and subways give you).

Also, New Orleans? No mountains nearby though and the outdoors is something else (very novel though). Good for just about everything else you listed including film production work.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:06 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,336,457 times
Responses are in red.

Quote:

We are both in our mid-20's and looking for our next adventure. We're looking for an active city. Lots to do outdoors (biking, hiking, walking) and big exercise culture (yoga, spinning, etc).

We have that, however if you want hiking, they're 2-3 hours drive.

Film production jobs for my boyfriend. We know LA is the obvious answer for that, but DC also seems quite busy as well for it too?
I don't know the film production here other than the fact we have Discovery Communications over in Silver Spring, MD. Though it's nothing compared to LA.

Nice studios and 1-bedrooms for $1600-$1750-ish. Walkable neighborhood with access to public transport - we'd like to get by with either just one car or no cars between the two of us.
Very easy and very possible. But at the same time, there are also places where you might need a car. Just do your research.

We have zipcar and the metro is great for getting around, though in the next 4 years, they will still have delays regarding maintenance work and what not.

Good music scene and bar scene. We like older buildings with lots of character, or bungalows/small single-family homes. Not so into the highrise luxury apartment thing or cookie-cutter box apartments. Ideally we'd like mountains/ocean to be within a 1-2 hour drive away.

We also have that too. Though I'm not too fluent on the music scene. Lots of old neighborhoods like Georgetown, Chevy Chase, Dupont Circle, etc. They can be pricey though.

Try 3 hours for mountains or oceans. Not as close as it is in LA but real nice too.

What do you think?

There's no right or wrong answer. Just choose which place you think will work out for you the most in terms of work, your needs, etc.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:40 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,526,261 times
We're looking for an active city. Lots to do outdoors (biking, hiking, walking) and big exercise culture (yoga, spinning, etc).

LA would be best. Both have tons of yoga, spinning, etc., but LA is going to be better for biking and hiking due to weather and topography. There is A LOT more nature in LA than DC.

Film production jobs for my boyfriend. We know LA is the obvious answer for that, but DC also seems quite busy as well for it too?

I don't know anything about the film industry in DC, but it's obviously nothing compared to LA. At the same time, it's possible the film industry is less competitive in DC due to it not being one of the DC area's major industries, so it could be easier to find a job.

Nice studios and 1-bedrooms for $1600-$1750-ish.

You'll be able to afford a good place in either city on that budget.

Walkable neighborhood with access to public transport - we'd like to get by with either just one car or no cars between the two of us.

DC is obviously better for public transit. If you live near the Metro, you'll be fine without a car. You could live comfortably in LA though with one car between both, but it might be prove to be inconvenient to live car-free there. DC is more walkable overall, but there are still tons of walkable areas in LA.

Good music scene and bar scene.

Definitely LA for the music scene. I my opinion, LA has the best and most diverse music scene in the country. Both have a good bar scenes.

We like older buildings with lots of character, or bungalows/small single-family homes. Not so into the highrise luxury apartment thing or cookie-cutter box apartments.

Both have plenty of housing options, you'll be able to find something to your liking in either place.

Ideally we'd like mountains/ocean to be within a 1-2 hour drive away.

LA. You have mountains and the ocean right in the city. DC is over 2 hours away from each, and the mountains and beaches in LA are much nicer than anything you'll find within a few hours of DC.

What do you think?

I'd suggest LA. Especially since you live in NY right now, life in DC will feel somewhat familiar compared to life in LA. LA is different enough from where you are currently living to give you a sense of adventure.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Where will you be working?
I can work in pretty much any major city in the US because I work for a high-end retail store and can transfer. They have multiple locations in both DC and LA so I have choices. Very convenient for me. The more I think about it, the more I realize I should move to LA. It is going to fit all my requirements and then some, and my boyfriend will have more work options. Also, if I decide to go back into film (my previous career), it'll be the place to be.

Thanks all!

Old 03-29-2012, 01:01 PM

28,167 posts, read 26,106,911 times
Quote:

What do you think?
If you want most of that stuff in one place, why leave New York? It has pretty much everything you want except mountains (unless you don't mind driving to the Catskills).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or