U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 02:38 PM

9,116 posts, read 13,528,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
There are different liquor license levels in Chicago, very few bars stay open til 5 or 6am.
There are actually about 125 late night bars in Chicago. It just seems like there aren't because there are a few thousand regular bars that close at 2am or 4am, so you always have to trek a bit to get to the 5am bar.

Yelp lists hundreds of bars within 1 mile of my house
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 02:40 PM

9,015 posts, read 5,744,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
2 AM last call would sorely disagree with you.
LA is lacking in its early last call, that is for sure.

There are a lot of 24-stores and restaurants now, and more popping up all the time, but I would have to agree LA has some work to do before it can be a true 24 hour city.

11,273 posts, read 10,027,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
I would love if more cities were in the style of like Madrid or Buenos Aires. When I visited people wouldn't head out to the bars until midnight or so. Also you saw all sorts of people, old and young. This was in both cities.

Here in Chicago we have plenty of 4am places but they aren't the majority. I personally don't go out as much because a lot places close so early. I actually prefer to head out around 11:30pm. I hate going out like at 10pm. For some reason I like to chill at home at night for a while before heading out.
Yea, that's the other thing--the age range for night life is so much larger in other places. Really, it just seems to me that night life in the US is not very important relative to in many other places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
When I'm done with school in DC now they finally change it.

IMO Miami (Miami Beach specifically) is very much a 24hr city. A large amount of things stay open 24hrs, even clothing stores are open till 12am. Clubs don't close and there is no last call. People will,leave the clubs arou d 5-6am. Surprised now one has mentioned Miami especially when I see cities like LA, DC and Atlantic City mentioned.

MIAMI that is exactly how it is down here, dinner 9-10pm a few drinks and head out to a club around 12am or so. Going out anywhere before 11pm is considered very early. I know what you mean, lived in Barcelona for a few months and went to Madrid a few times, it's fantastic.
Yea, it is weird Miami was never mentioned.

772 posts, read 330,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
When I'm done with school in DC now they finally change it.

IMO Miami (Miami Beach specifically) is very much a 24hr city. A large amount of things stay open 24hrs, even clothing stores are open till 12am. Clubs don't close and there is no last call. People will,leave the clubs arou d 5-6am. Surprised now one has mentioned Miami especially when I see cities like LA, DC and Atlantic City mentioned.

MIAMI that is exactly how it is down here, dinner 9-10pm a few drinks and head out to a club around 12am or so. Going out anywhere before 11pm is considered very early. I know what you mean, lived in Barcelona for a few months and went to Madrid a few times, it's fantastic.
I do think Miami and NYC are the most 24 hour cities in the U.S. but they still don't compare to cities like Madrid and Buenos Aires. I mean it was amazing that at 4am it looked like rush hour in Madrid. Or when I was leaving the bar at 5:30am in Buenos Aires that the streets were packed! This was also on a weekday I believe. It helps that in Spain that they have siesta and that in Argentina they take a very laid back approach to work (meaning you show up whenever you want).

The problem with the U.S. is that with our work style it would be hard to balance it out.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
There are actually about 125 late night bars in Chicago. It just seems like there aren't because there are a few thousand regular bars that close at 2am or 4am, so you always have to trek a bit to get to the 5am bar.
Very true. PLENTY of bars stay open til that time, it's just not the majority.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, that's the other thing--the age range for night life is so much larger in other places. Really, it just seems to me that night life in the US is not very important relative to in many other places.

Yea, it is weird Miami was never mentioned.
Yeah in Spain people the age of my grandma were out and about like at 2am. In Buenos Aires I saw little kids with their parents out as well till like 2am. I am not sure if it's true for the whole country of Brazil, but I have heard Sao Paulo is a very 24 hour city.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:47 PM

4,712 posts, read 5,311,091 times
Quote:
I do think Miami and NYC are the most 24 hour cities in the U.S. but they still don't compare to cities like Madrid and Buenos Aires. I mean it was amazing that at 4am it looked like rush hour in Madrid. Or when I was leaving the bar at 5:30am in Buenos Aires that the streets were packed! This was also on a weekday I believe. It helps that in Spain that they have siesta and that in Argentina they take a very laid back approach to work (meaning you show up whenever you want).

The problem with the U.S. is that with our work style it would be hard to balance it out.
I can agree with that. From my experiences in Madrid the city was very busy even at 5am. Barcelona not so much but still fairly busy. But I think Miami and NYC can compete with them. I do feel though that in Miami and NYC there are more amenities available 24hr 7 days a week compared to a city
like Madrid or Barcelona. Living there besides for the bars and clubs not that many things were open very late at night, like grocery stores of pharmacys etc.. And though I will agree it feels busier in Madrid late at night I have seen both NYc and Miami very busy at 4am. Miami Beach traffic is at its worst between 12-3am.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:38 PM

2,233 posts, read 2,313,208 times
don't you guys have speakeasies?

Old 03-30-2012, 03:47 PM

2,836 posts, read 2,931,034 times
My town (Greenville, NC) is a 24 hour city, we have Walmart

But I'm not too familiar with 24 hour cities in America besides NYC; maybe Philly, and DC are becoming more 24 hour cities than before but who knows.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:22 PM

1,944 posts, read 2,605,079 times
Quote:

I agree. The cities in the US just don't compare with Europe, South America or even Asia.

Many businesses there (in select big cities) have a "last patron out" policy instead of set hours - - all the time.

People also didn't get as wasted and foolish either, they just stayed out late to have a good time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City