U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-30-2012, 11:55 AM
 
7,837 posts, read 5,262,584 times
Reputation: 1387

Advertisements

We know all about the current 24 hr American cities like New York or Vegas. What other American cities are in the process of developing more of a 24 hr culture? What cities are changing their laws and building establishments that will foster a 24 hr environment? Having a 24 hr scene brings in a ton a revenue and in these hard fiscal times, I'm sure many cities are exploring new revenue streams that will add vibrancy to their respective cities.


D.C. is changing last call to 3:00 a.m. on weekdays and 4 a.m. on weekends city wide by the end of the year. It's estimated to raise an additional 5 million dollars in FY 2013. D.C. also just opened the cities first 24 hour/7 days a week restaurant/live music venue "The Hamilton" which will benefit greatly from this change. Venues like this can foster big changes to the landscape of a city. I'm sure there are similar ventures going on across the country.



-What cities are buildings on their nightlife scene and changing the culture of their cities to foster more of a 24 hr scene?

-List any law changes or interesting venues that are changing the landscape of your cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-30-2012, 12:32 PM
 
2,249 posts, read 4,193,538 times
Reputation: 1954
Los Angeles, and maybe Washington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2012, 12:35 PM
 
Location: The City
19,357 posts, read 16,730,258 times
Reputation: 5791
Philadelphia has a bill in city council to extend drinking hours to 4AM 7 days a week and after hours licences to 6AM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2012, 12:36 PM
 
Location: The City
19,357 posts, read 16,730,258 times
Reputation: 5791
But the answers are NYC/LV/Atlantic City
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2012, 12:37 PM
 
Location: The City
19,357 posts, read 16,730,258 times
Reputation: 5791
Chicago is also fairly close especially on weekends; think bars close at 5 or 6AM on weekends already
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2012, 12:46 PM
 
913 posts, read 729,753 times
Reputation: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Chicago is also fairly close especially on weekends; think bars close at 5 or 6AM on weekends already
There are different liquor license levels in Chicago, very few bars stay open til 5 or 6am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2012, 12:47 PM
 
7,837 posts, read 5,262,584 times
Reputation: 1387
I think American cities would greatly improve their world status if many of them could extend their nightlife all through the night. Nightlife doesn't even begin in many cities around the world till 1:00 am. Partying in places like Madrid is so fun because of that. Maybe one day, all the major American cities will have this type of atmosphere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2012, 12:48 PM
 
7,837 posts, read 5,262,584 times
Reputation: 1387
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Philadelphia has a bill in city council to extend drinking hours to 4AM 7 days a week and after hours licences to 6AM
That would be huge for Philadelphia's nightlife scene. Do you think it has a good chance to pass?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2012, 12:48 PM
 
637 posts, read 285,478 times
Reputation: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Los Angeles, and maybe Washington.
2 AM last call would sorely disagree with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2012, 12:49 PM
 
913 posts, read 729,753 times
Reputation: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
We know all about the current 24 hr American cities like New York or Vegas. What other American cities are in the process of developing more of a 24 hr culture? What cities are changing their laws and building establishments that will foster a 24 hr environment? Having a 24 hr scene brings in a ton a revenue and in these hard fiscal times, I'm sure many cities are exploring new revenue streams that will add vibrancy to their respective cities.


D.C. is changing last call to 3:00 a.m. on weekdays and 4 a.m. on weekends city wide by the end of the year. It's estimated to raise an additional 5 million dollars in FY 2013. D.C. also just opened the cities first 24 hour/7 days a week restaurant/live music venue "The Hamilton" which will benefit greatly from this change. Venues like this can foster big changes to the landscape of a city. I'm sure there are similar ventures going on across the country.



-What cities are buildings on their nightlife scene and changing the culture of their cities to foster more of a 24 hr scene?

-List any law changes or interesting venues that are changing the landscape of your cities.
Great news for DC, but In my opinion, DC is too White Collar to ever be a tryly 24/7 city. I'm a currency trader in the Asian Markets, so I am up at very odd hours, and 95% of the people out and about in the middle of the night during hte week are people like myself or blue collar workers working 3rd shift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:56 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top