U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Area that is most international and cosmopolitan
Florida 24 22.02%
Texas 20 18.35%
Northern California 65 59.63%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 03:48 PM

3,492 posts, read 3,217,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizz0rd View Post
I feel that NorCal celebrates it's diversity more among all the cultures, which makes it a bit different. Central and South Florida does this as well to a lesser extent. Texas last, especially outside of Houston. Not that it isn't ahead of MANY other states, just not NorCal or Florida. This to me makes both FEEL more international and have a more "international experience". Texas is too culturally domineering in itself it seems, at least more so than the other two. NorCal and FL have also been international immigrant hubs for longer.
Even outside the main cities FL feels pretty diverse, Silicon Valley for instance is super diverse, as are wide swaths of Florida b/c of all the transplants.
Miami doesn't even feel like a U.S. city, Houston definitely does. San Francisco doesn't feel that "american" either and it's politics run counter to most of the rest of the U.S. and has welcomed diversity more so than anywhere outside of New York or Los Angeles
Gosh your right I forgot about the old celebrate its diversity. How could I forget, I dont recall how you measure that or know that in all three areas. Houston and DFW are very diverse cities as cited on an independent study on another thread here. Houston has residents from countries "foreign to most Americans". If you count embassies and consultates SF nudges out Houston I believe, not Tx versus N. Ca needs to be measured as DFW, SA?austin are decent sized towns too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 04:00 PM

12,535 posts, read 13,853,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Gosh your right I forgot about the old celebrate its diversity. How could I forget, I dont recall how you measure that or know that in all three areas. Houston and DFW are very diverse cities as cited on an independent study on another thread here. Houston has residents from countries "foreign to most Americans". If you count embassies and consultates SF nudges out Houston I believe, not Tx versus N. Ca needs to be measured as DFW, SA?austin are decent sized towns too.
With the largest Chinatown, Vietnamese, Filipino, & Asian Indian population in the South I don't see how anyone could not consider Houston cosmopolitan.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:15 PM

13,468 posts, read 14,953,828 times
Quote:
I feel that NorCal celebrates it's diversity more among all the cultures, which makes it a bit different. Central and South Florida does this as well to a lesser extent. Texas last, especially outside of Houston. Not that it isn't ahead of MANY other states, just not NorCal or Florida. This to me makes both FEEL more international and have a more "international experience". Texas is too culturally domineering in itself it seems, at least more so than the other two. NorCal and FL have also been international immigrant hubs for longer.
Even outside the main cities FL feels pretty diverse, Silicon Valley for instance is super diverse, as are wide swaths of Florida b/c of all the transplants.
Miami doesn't even feel like a U.S. city, Houston definitely does. San Francisco doesn't feel that "american" either and it's politics run counter to most of the rest of the U.S. and has welcomed diversity more so than anywhere outside of New York or Los Angeles
I don't think you know much about Texas. Texas hasn't been in immigration magnet like Florida? Since when.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:25 PM

10,263 posts, read 11,042,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
With the largest Chinatown, Vietnamese, Filipino, & Asian Indian population in the South I don't see how anyone could not consider Houston cosmopolitan.
Except for Asian Indians, correct. The largest Asian Indian metro in the South belongs to DFW.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:37 PM

8,251 posts, read 6,619,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
You need to come visit soon. I would say Houston is the most International, Miami is the most latin American, N. California the most Asian but Houston has South American/central American/canadian/Middle East/Asian and African connections that are significant due to oil. The other two areas are more connected with portions not as much of the world.
Norcal has all of the above as well.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:38 PM

398 posts, read 331,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I don't think you know much about Texas. Texas hasn't been in immigration magnet like Florida? Since when.
Here comes the TX boosters...
I said not as much, there is a difference. TX was already diverse when settled b/c it took over Mexico, and Mexicans remain the #1 foreign group there since the 1800s.
Since you don't think I know much about Texas, I think you jump to assumptions, and don't know how to read well, amongst other things.
No offense but sometimes you have to fight fire with fire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JJ0AltxiiA

In this case, I am Cinder you are Sabrewulf

what is up with rude defensive tx posters? geez.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:40 PM

8,251 posts, read 6,619,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
So Dallas, Houston, & Miami aren't cosmopolitan cities?

Typical Californian mentality who has never ventured outside of the box.

Dallas & Houston make up the 4th & 5th largest US metros after New York, LA, & Chicago in that order.

San Francisco is a distant 11th.
That was totally unnecessary.

Especially considering that a massive percentage of "Californians" are originally from somewhere else, what a baseless and rude thing to say.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:46 PM

12,535 posts, read 13,853,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Except for Asian Indians, correct. The largest Asian Indian metro in the South belongs to DFW.
This may be true, but it sure doesn't feel like it.

It feels like Houston has the larger Indian population after you visit both places.

Anyways that is for another thread.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:11 PM

13,468 posts, read 14,953,828 times
Quote:
Here comes the TX boosters...
I said not as much, there is a difference. TX was already diverse when settled b/c it took over Mexico, and Mexicans remain the #1 foreign group there since the 1800s.
Since you don't think I know much about Texas, I think you jump to assumptions, and don't know how to read well, amongst other things.
No offense but sometimes you have to fight fire with fire

Cinder 80 Hits Killer Combo - YouTube
In this case, I am Cinder you are Sabrewulf

what is up with rude defensive tx posters? geez.
I'm not a booster nor was my comment rude. The last part of your post was a bunch of childish nonsense. The fact remains, you tried to put Florida on such a higher pedestal of diversity and being and International place and I simply disagreed with it by saying you didnt know much about the place. Texas has more Asians and Africans. Florida has more Europeans, I assume, and a more diverse Latino population. Both the states are about equal if anything.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:25 PM

25,291 posts, read 33,026,650 times
Anyhow, when it comes to Northern California, most people are within 120 miles of San Francisco, in this case, 3 million foreign born persons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City