U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2012, 04:19 PM

9,064 posts, read 17,408,515 times

Advertisements

Stumbled upon this list naming the top ten worst cities for spring allergy sufferers.

1- Knoxville, TN
2- McAllen, TX
3- Louisville, KY
4- Jackson, MS
5- Wichita, KS
6- Oklahoma City
7- Chattanooga, TN
8- Memphis, TN
9- San Antonio, TX
10- Dayton, OH

Worst Cities for Spring Allergy Sufferers | Yahoo! Health

Noticibly many of the cities are located in the south where there is very dense and thick vegetation, or out on the prairies and grasslands that produce a lot of pollen. How bad are the pollen levels where you live? Have you lived elsewhere and noticed a difference between where your previous home was and where you live now? I'm curious as I get spring allergies in late spring here in New England, mostly from grass pollen, but each year varies and some years are worse than others. I wonder if living in the desert where I'm moving to will either trigger or relieve some allergic reactions to certain types of pollen. Is there any type of terrain of topography that makes allergies either more or less barable in your experience?

Last edited by JMT; 04-01-2012 at 08:15 PM.. Reason: Corrected your spelling of Chattanooga.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 10:16 AM

9,190 posts, read 29,649,315 times
It's impossible to come up with a list like that (it was just a filler article on their part). Pollen is more area-wide and not city-specific.

This year we had a day in Atlanta where the pollen count exceeded a number of 9,200+. That not only broke all records for March, but I think they said broke all records of any time of year, since they started keeping track of pollen counts in this area. A friend of mine is a doctor and he said this year they've had a record number of people coming in with asthma-like attacks in need of treatment for it (especially those who have recently relocated to this area, and children).

I actually survived that day, but a few days later a neighbor was mowing their grass and I walked right by them at close range as they made a pass, knocking a week's worth of accumulated pollen in their grass up and blowing it directly at me like a "pollen cannon". Two minutes later and well into the night (4am), I just about went to the hospital myself from extreme allergic reactions to it all. It really is the worse we've ever had down here since I moved here nearly 30 years ago.

My advice to anyone who comes from a low pollen area who is moving to a higher pollen area who may suffer from allergies, is to have some good allergy medicine ready on hand, and to be prepared for the worst, just in case. Or better yet, if it's feasible, visit an area you are considering relocating to during early Spring to see how you react to the environment.

Severe allergies are serious, and are nothing to sneeze at.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:50 AM

3,256 posts, read 4,115,564 times
One thing to keep in mind is that this list changes from year to year, though there are patterns.

The more complete report is here: http://www.aafa.org/display.cfm?id=9&sub=33

Personally, I'm more interested in the pollen score than the other measures (or total score). Medicine utilization can be a function of access to insurance, or possibly even cultural issues.

As far as some of your other questions, I moved from Pennsylvania to New Mexico to escape a very bad allergy to airborne grass mold (which became more severe, despite treatment). I'm doing better than I was previously, but my allergies (I have lots of them) are still pretty severe and I'm still struggling to get my life back, frankly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or