Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is a more desireable place to work, live, and raise a family?
Charlotte, NC 117 74.05%
Cleveland, OH 41 25.95%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 03:09 PM

749 posts, read 1,315,967 times

Advertisements

I agree with the poll. Charlotte wins for me because of weather, location, and civic pride.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:44 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,253,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
I agree with the poll. Charlotte wins for me because of weather, location, and civic pride.
I agree with the FACTS. Cleveland wins for me because of weather, better job market, urban appeal, sophistication, name recognition, renowned and iconic cultural institutions, spacious suburbs 'with character', our nations second largest performing arts district ( Playhouse Square ), world acclaimed and superior healthcare, fascinating history, iconic architecture, a far more picturesque setting on a Great Lake, and of course, our civic pride.

Oh, and a much lower employment rate!

Old 04-16-2012, 04:15 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,872,064 times
Let's be honest, shall we? The people from the Carolinas say "Charlotte wins", and the people from Ohio say, "I vote for Cleveland", followed up by "facts" displayed in websites. Most of us vote for our home city because we are Homers. Period. Don't try to play like you don't. To truly get unbiased opinion based on real facts, you have to get feedback from people with no connections to either place.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
I agree with the FACTS. Cleveland wins for me because of weather, better job market, urban appeal, sophistication, name recognition, renowned and iconic cultural institutions, spacious suburbs 'with character', our nations second largest performing arts district ( Playhouse Square ), world acclaimed and superior healthcare, fascinating history, iconic architecture, a far more picturesque setting on a Great Lake, and of course, our civic pride.

Oh, and a much lower employment rate!
How old are you, really?

All of that yet it's still losing population, and not to mention, the poll...quite badly. The name recognition probably comes from mostly negative stereotypes quite honestly. Cleveland is a fine city, But I, like many of those who have moved here, like Charlotte better.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
How old are you, really?

All of that yet it's still losing population, and not to mention, the poll...quite badly. The name recognition probably comes from mostly negative stereotypes quite honestly. Cleveland is a fine city, But I, like many of those who have moved here, like Charlotte better.

First off, that ridiculous poll is not scientific, so it holds no true merit. Secondly, I'm glad that you chose to move to Charlotte, and that you enjoy your life there. Cleveland's higher name recognition is mainly because of its importance, and vital role in helping to build our country ... being an industrial Goliath is how Cleveland truly gained prominence with its own name recognition. I simply prefer Cleveland for all of its aforementioned strengths in my prior posts. Many people are returning to Cleveland, so it's not the 'Hell Hole' that many continue trying to perpetuate.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
First off, that ridiculous poll is not scientific, so it holds no true merit. Secondly, I'm glad that you chose to move to Charlotte, and that you enjoy your life there. Cleveland's higher name recognition is mainly because of its importance, and vital role in helping to build our country ... being an industrial Goliath is how Cleveland truly gained prominence with its own name recognition. I simply prefer Cleveland for all of its aforementioned strengths in my prior posts. Many people are returning to Cleveland, so it's not the 'Hell Hole' that many continue trying to perpetuate.
I wonder if your opinion about the poll would be the same if Cleveland was winning, I'm gong to guess no. You can prefer Cleveland all you want, just as I prefer Charlotte. The difference is that I'm not taking juvenile jabs at Cleveland after sentences of talk on how enlightened Charlotte is.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
I wonder if your opinion about the poll would be the same if Cleveland was winning, I'm gong to guess no. You can prefer Cleveland all you want, just as I prefer Charlotte. The difference is that I'm not taking juvenile jabs at Cleveland after sentences of talk on how enlightening Charlotte is.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm ... I've seen no juvenile jabs anywhere in this thread? Particularly, none composed by myself. Oh, and btw, even if Cleveland were winning in the attached ( and dubious ) poll, I'd still place no merit on it whatsoever. Go ahead though, I know you're inclined to 'base your choice of Charlotte' upon this highly unscientific poll .... you said so in a previous post.
Oh, and in case you missed it, I actually did include a bonafide scientific poll / study by the famed Brookings Institute.

Any guesses as to who fared better in this study, Cleveland or Charlotte?

Cleveland would be the correct response!

Old 04-16-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Hmmmmmmmmmmm ... I've seen no juvenile jabs anywhere in this thread? Particularly, none composed by myself. Oh, and btw, even if Cleveland were winning in the attached ( and dubious ) poll, I'd still place no merit on it whatsoever. Go ahead though, I know you're inclined to 'base your choice of Charlotte' upon this highly unscientific poll .... you said so in a previous post.
Oh, and in case you missed it, I actually did include a bonafide scientific poll / study by the famed Brookings Institute.

Any guesses as to who fared better in this study, Cleveland or Charlotte?

Cleveland would be the correct response!

I didnt choose Charlotte because of the poll, I said I agreed with the poll.
Of course Cleveland did better in the study, Cleveland had no boom to bust on, especially when compared to Charlotte. The fact is that Charlotte has been down some dark roads recently, and still continues to have positive strides and to move forward.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
I didnt choose Charlotte because of the poll, I said I agreed with the poll.
Of course Cleveland did better in the study, Cleveland had no boom to bust on, especially when compared to Charlotte. The fact is that Charlotte has been down some dark roads recently, and still continues to have positive strides and move forward.
Glad to hear of Charlotte's strides, really ... just as I am elated by Cleveland's major leaps and bounds!
Healthy cities can only translate into good places to call home.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:48 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
I find it interesting that posters state they say the facts and back what they believe with facts but don't point out the misinformation when it is posted about the opposing city. First, Cleveland is waaaaaaaaay more urban than Charlotte. That is without a doubt. Cleveland, has incredible urban neighborhoods, higher education, and high arts. However, if the last time you came to Charlotte was 2007, you have missed an incredible transformation the city id going through. There has been an incredible renaissance in the city as evidence by a building boom. Such as an Ikea, several buildings at UNCC, among others.

This recession has severely hurt Charlotte, and I don't wish any city in the country would suffer and why some seem to gloat when they do. I'm happy to hear that Cleveland is doing good and I'm familiar with the article byBrookings. However, something else I want to point out is Cleveland has a higher population than Charlotte and a higher workforce than Charlotte as well. Yet, Charlotte's GDP is higher. I think that is something commendable on Charlotte's behalf just as it was commended how Cleveland is improving despite it's recent struggles in the past few decades.

I should also more that both metros seem to see the benefit of working together as evidenced by the Cleveland Clinic working with Carolina's Medical Center to help treat heart disease.

Last edited by adavi215; 04-16-2012 at 10:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City