Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 10:25 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times

Advertisements

I would rather watch the team that can make it to the play offs.

That is either.

Say what you want but the skins were crappy last year.

Who wants to watch teams that are 'nice' in name only?

and all teams in the NFL are national team that is why it is are called the National Football league
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 12:12 PM

229 posts, read 304,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
I know you love Houston, but Houston isnt gonna win at EVERYTHING. As a football fan, when you factor in the opportunities to not only watch higher profile pro games; DFW has far more D1 College Football games. The Metroplex even wins when it comes to better high school football.

Sure Houston has pro,college, and high school football but very few people outside of the Houston area would say that watching a regional team like the Texans is better than watching Cowboys v Skins. Or that watching UH vs Rice is better than watching Texas/OU. Come on now.

marcopolo, you are going to lose on this one, might as well give up. HtownLove is relentless in convincing all that Houston is the most fabulous city in the world. He will state things as say they are "facts" and "undisputed", although they aren't, might as well let him run with it.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:21 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,757,917 times
I really don't have a dog in this, but to say Houston is a better sports city than DFW is false. Houston is a great sports city, but it doesn't have the same type of coverage and support as the DFW area(I wish that wasn't the case).

Take a tour of the two major sports section for both areas and you'll see one runs like a first class organization for a first class city, the other runs like a third world rag for a first class city.

Dallas-Fort Worth Sports News - News for Dallas, Texas - SportsDayDFW

Chron.com Sports - News, Scores, and Schedules for Houston teams - Houston Chronicle

fyi; Even their High School coverage/support is light years ahead of Houston

Old 04-06-2012, 12:40 PM

998 posts, read 1,324,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I would rather watch the team that can make it to the play offs.

That is either.
using this logic, the Jacksonville Jaguars "can" make it to the playoffs. That hardly means that Jacksonville and Houston are equal sports towns.

Quote:
Say what you want but the skins were crappy last year.

Who wants to watch teams that are 'nice' in name only?
Well the Texans have been crappy pretty much their entire existance but they still had fans willing to watch them. It just so happens the Redskins have more of them.

Quote:
and all teams in the NFL are national team that is why it is are called the National Football league
You can't be serious. National Teams are those that have a national following. No matter where these teams play, almost half or more of the crowd will be supporting them. (ie Dallas Cowboys, LA Lakers,NY Yankees,etc) The closest Houston has come to having a national team was the Comets in the WNBA (and the city found a way to screw that up as well)

Old 04-06-2012, 12:42 PM

998 posts, read 1,324,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarn View Post
marcopolo, you are going to lose on this one, might as well give up. HtownLove is relentless in convincing all that Houston is the most fabulous city in the world. He will state things as say they are "facts" and "undisputed", although they aren't, might as well let him run with it.

LOL...I see

Old 04-06-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarn View Post
don't be silly. All I said is that the OP can enjoy football in both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
I really don't have a dog in this, but to say Houston is a better sports city than DFW is false.
You are making a long post about something no one has said.

Give you 500 bucks if you show me one post where someone is saying Houston is better.

Dallas posters seem to think it is a competition so they come into the Houston forum and say they are better in sports.

The op ask for a city he can enjoy football in and All I said was both.

I was being impartial and the Dallas trolls are acting liek I said it was better.

They can't let Houston have anything.

Like Houston doesn't have a TEAM

OP for the zillionth time ignore the people trolling the forums BOth cities have Pro Football teams

Quote:
using this logic, the Jacksonville Jaguars "can" make it to the playoffs. That hardly means that Jacksonville and Houston are equal sports towns.
The Op is not looking for the best football town he is looking for a town he can enjoy football in and yes, that cane be Jacksonville too.

can't yall understand simple logic?

If I want to enjoy good OPizza is NY and Chicago my only options? Jesus Christ, I would probably have more luck reasoning with a mule

Old 04-06-2012, 03:12 PM

61,659 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Ok, we already decided that OP can enjoy football in both. OP has more questions about both cities than football.
Move on.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:20 PM

613 posts, read 1,001,980 times
Quote:
Dallas is the better sports city period. The attendance at Rockets and Astros games are a dead giveaway.

In addition to the Cowboys (love them or hate them, they are perhaps the most famous team in America. And they just happen to play in the best NFL stadium. Jerry's World > Reliant Stadium.

Contrast that with the start up Texans who just made their first playoff appearance. No games on the Texans' annual schedule can compare to Cowboys vs. the Redskins/Eagles/Giants. These games are huge and they attract a national audience. They rarely even show Texans games up here in the Metroplex but I'm sure Houston gets a fair share of Cowboys games.

I'm a Rockets fan, but they haven't been relevant for almost two decades now. The Mavericks meanwhile are the defending NBA champs.

The Rangers are coming off back to back World Series appearances. What was the Astros record last season?

Throw in the fact that you have more opportunities to witness nationally known college football on all levels in the metroplex (Texas/OU, CottonBowl, Grambling/PV,TCU,etc) and its already a landslide before you even throw in the NHL. Sorry, the Meineke Care Care bowl does not compare to the Cottonbowl.

Best Sports Cities: The list from 1 to 271

Read more: Best Sports Cities: The list from 1 to 271 - - Sporting News
I wouldn't call one city a better sports city than another based on how teams are currently performing. Team performance ebbs and flows over time. Go back 5-6 yrs and there would have been no argument that the Astros were a better franchise than the Rangers for example.

Sports cities are made by: 1) the number of franchises, 2) the commitment and knowledge of the fans. For example, Atlanta is a terrible sports town despite having loads of franchises as the fans have little commitment. Even when the Braves were one of the best in the MLB, for example, they couldn't sell out.

Dallas has a slight edge on Houston by virtue of having an NHL franchise rather than an AHL franchise. Who cares though, nobody goes to the Stars games anyway. They had the 3rd worst attendance in the league last year.

From a fan base, I don't see a discernible difference. Cowboys and Texans fans are both rabid and show up regardless of how the team performs. In all other sports, when the team is weak, the fans don't show up. When doing well, they show up in droves.

Not sure where you come off talking about Astros poor attendance. Maybe you need to look up annual attendance averages: the Astros have outdrawn the Rangers over the last 10 yrs. Since 2000, the only years where Texas had a higher average attendance than Houston were 2010 (barely) and 2011. Surprise, surprise, the two years when the Rangers go to the World Series the fans show up. Actually, 2010 attendance Rangers attendance was still lower than previous Astros seasons but the Astros attendance dropped enough to put the Rangers over the top.

As for the Mavericks, their attendance figures were crap before they started getting good in 2001. The fans didn't show up when they sucked. You say the Rockets haven't been relevant in two decades (not quite they were in the finals in 1997 so a bit less than two decades). So what? It happens. The Chicago Bulls went through a long stretch of not being relevant. However, the attendance during those years shows the difference in a top sports city like Chicago rather as opposed to both Dallas and Houston: Bulls attendance figures never dropped. The fans continued to show up regardless of how bad the Bulls were. Same with the Cubs. Same as you'll find in New York. Real fans love the sport, love the team and stick with through thick and thin.

Moral of story: calling Dallas a much better sports city than Houston is silly. Reality is they are pretty much about the same and compared to other cities, only somewhere in the middle in terms of quality. Nowhere near the level of Chicago, New York, Philly, Boston, etc. and much better than Atlanta, Miami, Tampa, etc.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:29 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Dallas is MUCH drier than Houston. Last summer in Dallas was brutal, but I have spent most of my Dallas summers outdoors. Things I hate about about Houston are the persistent humidity and the lack of zoning.
Things I can't stand about Dallas are American Airlines and the fact that all the lakes get clogged up with drunk idiots every summer.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Dallas is MUCH drier than Houston.
drier, yes

Much Drier (with emphasis on the much) nope. The stats don't show that.

Dallas is drier, but not THAT much drier.

Both will make the most people head for the AC once the summer rolls around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City