U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2012, 07:08 PM

429 posts, read 895,318 times

Advertisements

I live in Nashville, TN. (Well, in a first-ring suburb actually.)

There are a lot of things I like about this area, but I find it strangely infuriating (strangely because I didn't anticipate that I'd feel this way) that practically everyone in my neighborhood and most of the metro area has the same dang landscaping -- huge lawns, tight ring of similiar foundation plants (boxwoods, hollies, etc.) and maybe a couple small lollipop trees stuck in the front yard.

Sure, part of the issues is that I live in a relatively young neighborhood (5-10 yrs old) but I've seen the same pattern even in some 50-yr old established neighborhoods.

My question is this -- Is there a city where a majority or significant minority of people are into creative and beautiful residential landscaping -- ripping out their boring lawns and replacing with native plants, gardens, etc.?

Or is the situation in Nashville the same all over the country?

I'm not a huge L.A. fan, but I have to say I was impressed on my last visit that there was some pretty cool landscaping in Manhattan Beach. Of course, those are also people with $$$$ who can probably afford full-time gardeners, but still...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 07:20 PM

3,895 posts, read 4,384,208 times
Meridian street here in Indianapolis is beautiful
The Million dollar mansions on both side. Meridian street also past 465 has alot of high tech companies.
Its the supreme corridor in Indianapolis and living on Meridian street gives you some prestiege
Very well maintained and nice sidewalks and landscaping all up and down it. Heck when you get torwards downtown all the office buildings are well maintained.
Indianapolis does a great job keeping meridian street nice always wonderful to go up and down it periodically.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:33 PM

14,805 posts, read 16,988,533 times
Nashville and that street in Indy seem nice (from google streetview)

Check out Summit Avenue in Saint Paul... very beautiful huge Victorian homes and great landscape (the road is kind of like a parkway with a large median with trees)

But in my opinion i dont think any city will beat San Francisco, really love the row-houses with the bay windows. As a kid i always watched Full House and i dreamed of living in one of those houses

eKarjala The Full House house

Old 04-09-2012, 05:33 AM

20,208 posts, read 28,258,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmidnight View Post
I live in Nashville, TN. (Well, in a first-ring suburb actually.)

There are a lot of things I like about this area, but I find it strangely infuriating (strangely because I didn't anticipate that I'd feel this way) that practically everyone in my neighborhood and most of the metro area has the same dang landscaping -- huge lawns, tight ring of similiar foundation plants (boxwoods, hollies, etc.) and maybe a couple small lollipop trees stuck in the front yard.

Sure, part of the issues is that I live in a relatively young neighborhood (5-10 yrs old) but I've seen the same pattern even in some 50-yr old established neighborhoods.

My question is this -- Is there a city where a majority or significant minority of people are into creative and beautiful residential landscaping -- ripping out their boring lawns and replacing with native plants, gardens, etc.?

Or is the situation in Nashville the same all over the country?

I'm not a huge L.A. fan, but I have to say I was impressed on my last visit that there was some pretty cool landscaping in Manhattan Beach. Of course, those are also people with $$$$ who can probably afford full-time gardeners, but still...
I lived in the Durham-Chapel Hill area in North Carolina and found most homeowners (in the older, established neighborhoods anyway) to be pretty creative in terms of plantings and design. There's a high ratio of DIY gardeners in the area and the pride in lawns/gardens is pretty high in my opinion.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:24 AM

429 posts, read 895,318 times
Thanks for all the responses.

Just to clarify, while I think all the places mentioned so far are very pretty, what I'm looking for specifically (and I probably should have specified this at the beginning) is for a cottage garden type residential landscaping, yards overflowing with informal displays of flowers and shrubs, something like this - Dreams & Happy Things...: ...in a cottage flower garden

Not sure it exists outside Merry Olde England or the Hobbit kingdom!

Old 04-09-2012, 09:31 AM

10,087 posts, read 12,567,366 times
Check out Hancock Park / Larchmont Village in Los Angeles.

EDIT: Just read your last post, not sure there is anywhere in LA like that, but perhaps in Laurel Canyon or some other Hollywood Hills neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or