U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite city center?
Downtown Los Angeles 14 63.64%
Downtown Atlanta 9 40.91%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 01:12 PM

2,910 posts, read 3,614,137 times

Advertisements

Well there are 1.5-2.5 mile distances on major systems but they are mostly due to geography, like crossing rivers or bays. I think that the only gaps like that for LA's subway is when it passes under the mountains to universal and north Hollywood. Other than that I don't think that any stations are much more than a mile apart. That's rare even for the light rail although I can think of a few instances like that on every line.

That being said the purple li e extension will have a 2 mile gap between western and la Brea which I think is a big mistake.

Regarding the station spacing at one mile creating gaps where it can be a long walk, that's true. In some cases there may be another line serving that area, but if not its a trade off. Still it fits LA's long term plans for creating density around stations and not just everywhere. So you really have to consider it in terms of people being in walking distance and not land area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 01:17 PM

14,801 posts, read 17,657,859 times
Poll is closed, i would vote Los Angeles. Fashion District is a pretty awesome place.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:25 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,066,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Well there are 1.5-2.5 mile distances on major systems but they are mostly due to geography, like crossing rivers or bays. I think that the only gaps like that for LA's subway is when it passes under the mountains to universal and north Hollywood. Other than that I don't think that any stations are much more than a mile apart. That's rare even for the light rail although I can think of a few instances like that on every line.

That being said the purple li e extension will have a 2 mile gap between western and la Brea which I think is a big mistake.

Regarding the station spacing at one mile creating gaps where it can be a long walk, that's true. In some cases there may be another line serving that area, but if not its a trade off. Still it fits LA's long term plans for creating density around stations and not just everywhere. So you really have to consider it in terms of people being in walking distance and not land area.
LOL. Apparently everyone in LA except Metro thinks it's a mistake

Old 10-10-2012, 02:24 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,499,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
LOL. Apparently everyone in LA except Metro thinks it's a mistake
do you guys have details of how Santa Monica/Venice/Culver City will be connected via Expo or other lines going into DT?

Old 10-10-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
do you guys have details of how Santa Monica/Venice/Culver City will be connected via Expo or other lines going into DT?
Expo Phase II is connecting Santa Monica to downtown via Culver City. I think the stops are at Palms / Expo, Westwood / Expo, Sepulveda / Expo, Bundy / Expo, Bergamot Station (~26th / Olympic), 17th / Colorado and then 4th / Colorado in Downtown Santa Monica. If you look at this map view, you can sort of see the existing ROW on the middle/right near the 405/10 intersection.

The Purple Line will only make it as far as the VA Center on the West side of the 405. Eventually I believe the plan is to connect the Purple Line to the Expo Line via the Sepulveda Pass Line (timing depends on Measure J but won't be till 2025 at the earliest) which unfortunately will probably be BRT, but we'll see it has a long way to go.

http://www.metro.net/images/measurej...Fact_Sheet.pdf

Old 10-10-2012, 02:52 PM

15,423 posts, read 25,321,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Well isn't that section of Wilshire relatively low density? Can't imagine the big homes of Hancock Park would provide much ridership.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Well isn't that section of Wilshire relatively low density? Can't imagine the big homes of Hancock Park would provide much ridership.
Yeah it's pretty low density. The biggest issue is twofold: One, that those trying to make a connection from the heavily used Crenshaw bus line and Rapid Line will have to get on the Wilshire bus or walk 1/2 a mile to the subway. The other issue is that any northern expansion of the Crenshaw Corridor LRT will be forced to connect at Wilshire / La Brea (the Crenshaw / Expo station is being built as a subway station to accommodate future northern expansion). That might end up making sense anyways because the Crenshaw LRT will eventually go all the way north through WeHo to the Hollywood / Highland Station and that routing will most likely be San Vincente to La Brea or Fairfax and then north to Hollywood.

But yeah, you are right that Wilshire / Crenshaw station would not provide many riders, mostly just from south of Wilshire.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:20 PM

2,910 posts, read 3,614,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Yes. And it's not only relatively low density, it's zoned to prevent future density by declaring large areas as historic or something like that. So as of now it looks like it won't transform into a dense urban area barring some significant change. That being said, that's still what we need to prepare for. The purple line will be very heavily used. Much more than the red line is now. In the 15-20,000 riders per mile range. Having a large gap is going to make moving around in that area harder than it needs to be for many people. A Crenshaw station wouldn't be super busy, but it wouldn't be un-busy either. The only consolation is that the Crenshaw light rail extension will connect to the purple line at either La Brea, Fairfax, or La Cienega (and not Crenshaw) so there will be options.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:02 PM

303 posts, read 471,422 times
LA wins. LA Live alone blows anything in DT Atl.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Chaser View Post
LA wins. LA Live alone blows anything in DT Atl.
If that is true then DTLA absolutely blows Atlanta away because IMO LA Live is the worst part of downtown (ok skid row is, but still...).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or