U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite city center?
Downtown Los Angeles 14 63.64%
Downtown Atlanta 9 40.91%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 07:54 AM

2,851 posts, read 5,431,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coo77 View Post
Atlanta has the Georgia Aquarium.
---Downtown Los Angeles is home to the Museum of Contemporary Art, the Grammy Museum, Chinese American Museum, Japanese American National Museum, and Museum of Neon Art.

-Downtown Los Angeles has a variety of parks including Pershing Square, Los Angeles State Historic Park, and public spaces such as that video at California Plaza, Wells Fargo Plaza, 7th/Fig, Nokia Plaza, etc...

-And no, we have nicer shopping areas than a dreary ugly shopping center underground because we like our beautiful sunshine and not dark brick caverns underground.

The question is, does Atlanta have:

A Chinatown? (downtown L.A. also is home to Little Tokyo)

or an experience like Olvera Street?

Or a gritty crowded urban wholesale shopping experience like the L.A. Fashion District

or one of the largest and most vibrant art communities in the nation??? Downtown L.A. is estimated to have the largest frequent art walk/gallery walk in the nation and is also home to the Museum of Contemporary Art. Other museums include the Chinese American Museum, Japanese National Heritage Museum, Museum of Neon Art, and Grammy Music Museum.

World famous buildings like the Walt Disney Concert Hall that hosts one of the nation's top symphonies?

One of the nation's largest indoor markets?

The shortest railway in the world?

Preserved buildings in the historic core bustling with beautiful architecture from the early 1900's from the Eastern Columbia Building to Bradburry Building to Tower Theatre, etc...

These are just a sample of some things I don't think Atlanta has or can match.
The area of L.A. you describe above is about a two and a half mile stretch of real estate. If you examined that long a swath of central Atlanta you would have all of Downtown Atlanta plus Midtown all the

Last edited by JMT; 12-28-2014 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: Too many images
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 10:20 AM

8,190 posts, read 11,857,234 times
Atlanta is also getting the Center for Civil & Human Rights downtown. Downtown Atlanta will also be getting the National Health Museum, as well as a pirate museum (sounds pretty whimsical, but I think it will be fun).

Last edited by JMT; 12-26-2014 at 05:40 PM..

Old 08-11-2010, 07:30 PM

400 posts, read 847,867 times
Galounger:

Do not EVER use the Olympics against Los Angeles. Ever. Atlanta's rise to a modern city is highly attributed to the 1996 Olympics and two times the Olympics almost went extinct.. and two times Los Angeles stepped in to save the modern Games. The very exposure of Atlanta to the international community is owed to the Olympics, and the existence of the Olympics past 1932, and again past 1984 is owed to Los Angeles.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:44 PM

245 posts, read 569,600 times
Hmmm, I guess no one mentioned the California Science Center in LA. I frequent it so it jumped out of my head. It's about 2 miles from downtown and since we're considering Midtown, then we can include this also. I think ATL also has this if I'm not mistaken, but just wanna put it out there cuz I'm a science nerd.

I notice how often the Georgia Aquarium is used against LA's. No, LA does not have an aquarium in the downtown area. It's a good thing too because who would go to an inland aquarium in downtown LA when there's one 30 minutes away adjacent to an actual Pacific Ocean? Having an aquarium next to the ocean just makes it livelier, kinda like eating seafood near the sea vs. eating somewhere in the mountains. Also having a downtown aquarium won't permit us to go out bay and whale watching... NOT ok for a west coast city. For the purpose of this thread, however, Atlanta's got us there. LA's downtown is crappy for a city of it's size, but I'll still go with LA on this one. My reasons are lengthy, but a lot of previous posters did a good job at explaining already.

Last edited by FrostyThe2nd; 08-11-2010 at 09:17 PM..

Old 04-04-2012, 04:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,176 times
I think LA is better like we have grifith park one of the biggest parks in U.S. amd if LA is the second biggest city in U.S. that must mean that lots of people like dt LA more than atl.We have the staple center in dt and we also have the grove wich is a giant shopping center.Then why a aquarium when we have a zoo wich also has fish and other types of animals I live close to downtown and hollywood and hollywood is part of dt LA. So now you have it atl can't compare to LA and people think so too!

Old 04-04-2012, 06:29 PM

10,087 posts, read 12,577,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victormiranda View Post
I think LA is better like we have grifith park one of the biggest parks in U.S. amd if LA is the second biggest city in U.S. that must mean that lots of people like dt LA more than atl.We have the staple center in dt and we also have the grove wich is a giant shopping center.Then why a aquarium when we have a zoo wich also has fish and other types of animals I live close to downtown and hollywood and hollywood is part of dt LA. So now you have it atl can't compare to LA and people think so too!
LULZ - Excellent answer....

Half that stuff is not remotely close to downtown LA.

Doesn't mean LA doesn't have a bigger, better downtown than Atlanta.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:22 PM

5,257 posts, read 12,570,359 times
I was in dt Los Angeles all day today and like I said a few years ago, this one definately goes to LA. It's simply too big with so much happening and much more to come it makes dt Atlanta look like dt Kennesaw.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:45 PM

29,125 posts, read 21,154,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victormiranda View Post
hollywood is part of dt LA.
????????????????????????????????????????????

Old 04-05-2012, 09:40 AM

361 posts, read 454,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I was in dt Los Angeles all day today and like I said a few years ago, this one definately goes to LA. It's simply too big with so much happening and much more to come it makes dt Atlanta look like dt Kennesaw.
you've always been one to make some crazy statements about atlanta but this one takes the cake. atlanta's downtown has nearly the same amount of office space (without midtown included) as LA's. atlanta's includes the state capitol and government district, as well as the state's second biggest university.

like detroit (and i'm sure other cities) our arts district is in midtown, not downtown. i'd still vote for DT LA over Atl, but the margin is not so far apart as you suggest, and there's no need for downright stupid hyperbole.

dt_from_grady_curve (http://www.flickr.com/photos/24151130@N03/6897900186/ - broken link) by cabasse (http://www.flickr.com/people/24151130@N03/ - broken link), on Flickr

Old 04-05-2012, 12:43 PM

10,087 posts, read 12,577,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
you've always been one to make some crazy statements about atlanta but this one takes the cake. atlanta's downtown has nearly the same amount of office space (without midtown included) as LA's. atlanta's includes the state capitol and government district, as well as the state's second biggest university.

like detroit (and i'm sure other cities) our arts district is in midtown, not downtown. i'd still vote for DT LA over Atl, but the margin is not so far apart as you suggest, and there's no need for downright stupid hyperbole.

dt_from_grady_curve (http://www.flickr.com/photos/24151130@N03/6897900186/ - broken link) by cabasse (http://www.flickr.com/people/24151130@N03/ - broken link), on Flickr
Office space is a tiny, tiny part of what makes a downtown interesting. In fact, I'd say the lack of office space in DTLA is a good thing, because that means areas like Bunker Hill are at a minimum.

It would be nice for any new office space to be in restored buildings on Broadway, Main and Spring Streets, which seems like is the trend right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or