Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2014, 12:55 PM

17 posts, read 42,529 times

Advertisements

Savannah or Wilmington NC?

Here's the scoop. DH and I are in our 30s, no kids yet. I have a job transfer to Wilmington, but there's a possibility I could go to Savannah, too. I've been to Wilmington recently, but it has been ages since I've been to Savannah. I'm curious to see people weigh in on the pros and cons of each city. I work in aviation, and I'd make more money in Savannah. DH works in marine biology and aquariums. (I am aware that there is a public aquarium in Wilmington, but I don't think there is one in Savannah.) He has done work in the past designing and maintaining reef aquariums in businesses and homes.

We are outdoor people, and we currently live pretty much in the country. We are moving south to get back to warm weather and the coast. We are what I would consider open minded conservatives, maybe libertarian would be closest.

Looking for any insight people can provide! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 02:13 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Charleston would actually suit both of you better. It has the Boeing plant and other related companies and is home to the SC Aquarium.

But out of these two, I'd probably go with Savannah.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:22 PM

Unfortunately, Charleston isn't an option for us at this point, which is a shame because of the aquarium. I have a job, this would be a transfer, so i have to take what is available. Thanks for the insight.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:37 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
UGA has a marine education center and aquarium in Savannah and there's a sea turtle center on Jekyll Island.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:18 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Savannah is a good bit larger than Wilmington and has more to offer, IMO. It's also more accessible (directly on two interstate highways) and has a much larger / busier airport. You don't say what type of aviation industry you work in, but assuming it is Gulfstream, they have a very large presence in Savannah and are expanding very rapidly. It's a good place to work.

As Mutiny mentioned, the University of Georgia maintains a marine research institute and small aquarium on Skidaway Island. Savannah State University has a grad-level program in Marine Biology / Marine Services.

If you haven't been to Savannah "in ages" then you owe yourself a visit. The city has grown and changed tremendously in recent years. The downtown Historic District is simply amazing, with millions of dollars in new investment currently underway. Several hundred new hotel rooms are currently under construction, and Atlanta developer Ben Carter is spending $72 million on "The B Street Project," a renovation of historic Broughton Street that will bring dozens of upscale retail chains, restaurants and loft apartments to the heart of the city.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:38 PM

I work for the FAA.

I visited Wilmington recently, and while I found that it seems to be a wonderful city, there was something just... missing. I'm planning a trip down to Savannah the end of this month, and I'm hoping things go well.

From what I can tell, Wilmington and Savannah are both riverfront communities, with easy access to the ocean. Wilmington seemed pretty busy, but not city busy, just... busy. We loved the downtown area, it reminded me in many ways of New Orleans (that could be because the first thing I heard when I got out of the car was a guy wailing on the tenor sax. Made my day. :-) However, I have to say I just love that "deep south" feeling, and that was something I didn't feel in Wilmington. It seems like it may be more prevalent in Savannah.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:29 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuRu2152 View Post
I work for the FAA.

I visited Wilmington recently, and while I found that it seems to be a wonderful city, there was something just... missing. I'm planning a trip down to Savannah the end of this month, and I'm hoping things go well.

From what I can tell, Wilmington and Savannah are both riverfront communities, with easy access to the ocean. Wilmington seemed pretty busy, but not city busy, just... busy. We loved the downtown area, it reminded me in many ways of New Orleans (that could be because the first thing I heard when I got out of the car was a guy wailing on the tenor sax. Made my day. :-) However, I have to say I just love that "deep south" feeling, and that was something I didn't feel in Wilmington. It seems like it may be more prevalent in Savannah.
Well, if you thought downtown Wilmington reminded you of New Orleans, then you'll flip over Savannah. It's a cleaner, prettier, smaller version of New Orleans. And Savannah's downtown is VERY busy.

The Savannah airport is VERY nice ... one of the better small airports in the nation. And with the recent addition of JetBlue, traffic there is getting very busy (10 percent increase in passengers expected this year). The suburban area around the airport (Pooler) is absolutely booming with new development and a very popular place to live. You'll have plenty of housing options within close commute.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:08 AM

35 posts, read 39,856 times
Default Wilmington NC vs Savannah GA

Hi all,
Yet another Northerner looking at coastal cities for possible relocation (Please don't hate, half my family is from Arkansas and the other half is from Finland, so not your typical Yankee?) We've been doing our fair bit of research and visiting for years, and my main concern is crime. We don't have kids to worry about, but we do want to feel safe within our environment. Neighborhood scout would suggest that Wilmington and Savannah are both comparable as far as crime goes, and I find that somewhat hard to believe? Forgive me, but I had assumed that Savannah was much more dangerous than Wilmington.....Any input on crime stats would be helpful, or just some general opinions. Also, feel free to chime in about overall living quality in either area. Thanks all! Ps, some might wonder why we ruled Charleston out, and honestly we just feel there is too much urban sprawl surrounding the city....Thanks all!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City