Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Capital of Hispanic America?
Dallas 4 1.70%
Denver 4 1.70%
Houston 16 6.81%
LA 109 46.38%
Miami 115 48.94%
San Antonio 25 10.64%
San Diego 10 4.26%
Other 18 7.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 03:01 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times

Advertisements

Also LA and Miami cater to Latino's way more than NYC does. How many Latino mayors has NYC had?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 03:05 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
Thank you. The border compared of Mexico and the U.S. is significantly larger then one coasts of Southern Florida.

Plain and simple it's much easier to get to the U.S. from Mexico than it is from Cuba, and by a lot.
True, but a big difference is if a Cuban exile sets foot on dry ground they get to stay, not the case with illegals from Mexico who make it into the US.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:10 PM

637 posts, read 1,014,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Where does the OP state that this thread is just about cities? You made about just "cities" because you know the LA area has way more latinos than the NY area. NYC has twice as many people than the city of LA, over 4 million more, and with it's diversity it should have more in every ethnic group. Nobody made this strictly about cities except you because you know you'll lose the argument if you don't restrict it to just cities. You're so transparent, give me a break.
Excuse me, but if I remember correctly, this forum is called CITY DATA, not METRO data, not STATE data, but CITY data. So give me a break if I actually follow the one thing this forum is predicated on: cities.

And yeah, I acknowledge that LA metro area has more Latinos. But it's not the capital of Hispanic American culture since most of those Latinos have origins in ONE area of Latin America.

Quote:
The OP never stated this comparison is strictly for city limits so it is perfectly fair to compare metro areas. You didn't set the parameters of this thread nor did you create this thread, so quit acting like you did and stop trying prevent people from comparing metro areas.
And you can act like the forum police and telling me what I can and can't post. If you have a problem with it, go tell a mod. I haven't violated anything in the Terms of Service.

In REAL LIFE, the CITY of NEW YORK has more Latinos than the CITY of LOS ANGELES. NYC and the NY metro area, while having less Latinos than LA, has the most diverse Latino population in the United States WHILE having 4.7 million Latinos in the area (or nearly as many people as the state of Colorado)

Quote:
Also LA and Miami cater to Latino's way more than NYC does. How many Latino mayors has NYC had?
Funny, how many Latino mayors did LA have before 2005? How many Latinos were even up for election as LA's mayor before 2005?

Herman Badillo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Since 1966, Latinos have been involved in NYC's politics.

While I agree that Miami has more politically, socially, and economically dominated by Latinos (again, its a LATIN AMERICAN society geographically located in Anglo America), the Latin population is also much smaller than NYC and LA. However, it has Latin diversity as well, unlike the LA metro area, where 80% of the Latinos are from Mexico and another 9% are from El Salvador and Guatemala.

Quote:
What's even more ironic is that you only use cities when it comes to NYC and LA but sure don't hesitate to use Chicaoland's and the Bay Area's latino figures. At least be consistent with your BS.
That's because Chicago or SF Bay will never be considered the Hispanic capital of the United States, like many of the LA posters here are trying to claim....

LOL!

Again:

What city has the most Latinos in their city limits?
What city has the most diverse pool of Latinos?
What city not only has the raw numbers and diversity, but the percentages to back it up?

LA has none of these things. Not the % of Miami, not the raw numbers as the City of NYC, and the Latino diversity of neither.

That's what we call the bottom line

Old 04-11-2012, 03:11 PM

573 posts, read 1,360,622 times
corssing the mexican american border is harder than people think, once you jump the border the rest of the way you have to watch out for border patrol and you have to walk over mountains, through desserts, those walks could take you days, since you only walk at night so they wont be spotted.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:13 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I think you often find neighborhoods that have more than one ethnic group. Jackson Heights, Corona and Sunset Park are good examples. The biggest difference between NYC and everywhere else is that so many different Hispanic groups have been able to win physical territories. So you'll have a Dominican block, a Mexican block, a Peruvian block or a Bangledeshi block all in the same neighborhood.
You can somewhat find that in Miami. Parts of Little Havana(Cuban), have turned into an official, designated, Liltte Managua(Nicaragua).

Old 04-11-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
Funny, how many Latino mayors did LA have before 2005? How many Latinos were even up for election as LA's mayor before 2005?
stroll back a couple of pages and find out who was the first Latino mayor in LA, i couldnt remember when or what his name was.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:18 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
Excuse me, but if I remember correctly, this forum is called CITY DATA, not METRO data, not STATE data, but CITY data. So give me a break if I actually follow the one thing this forum is predicated on: cities.

And yeah, I acknowledge that LA metro area has more Latinos. But it's not the capital of Hispanic American culture since most of those Latinos have origins in ONE area of Latin America.

And you can act like the forum police and telling me what I can and can't post. If you have a problem with it, go tell a mod. I haven't violated anything in the Terms of Service.

In REAL LIFE, the CITY of NEW YORK has more Latinos than the CITY of LOS ANGELES. NYC and the NY metro area, while having less Latinos than LA, has the most diverse Latino population in the United States WHILE having 4.7 million Latinos in the area (or nearly as many people as the state of Colorado)

Herman Badillo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Since 1966, Latinos have been involved in NYC's politics.

While I agree that Miami has more politically, socially, and economically dominated by Latinos (again, its a LATIN AMERICAN society geographically located in Anglo America), the Latin population is also much smaller than NYC and LA. However, it has Latin diversity as well, unlike the LA metro area, where 80% of the Latinos are from Mexico and another 9% are from El Salvador and Guatemala.

That's because Chicago or SF Bay will never be considered the Hispanic capital of the United States, like many of the LA posters here are trying to claim....

LOL!

Again:

What city has the most Latinos in their city limits?
What city has the most diverse pool of Latinos?
What city not only has the raw numbers and diversity, but the percentages to back it up?

LA has none of these things. Not the % of Miami, not the raw numbers as the City of NYC, and the Latino diversity of neither.

That's what we call the bottom line
To be fair, a Metropolitan area is a collection of cities. So when you discuss metro areas you're discussing multiple cities.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:18 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge112597 View Post
stroll back a couple of pages and find out who was the first Latino mayor in LA, i couldnt remember when or what his name was.
The first Latino mayor of LA since 1872 is Villaraigosa.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:19 PM

771 posts, read 1,395,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge112597 View Post
corssing the mexican american border is harder than people think, once you jump the border the rest of the way you have to watch out for border patrol and you have to walk over mountains, through desserts, those walks could take you days, since you only walk at night so they wont be spotted.
Haha, dude I don't think anyone is doubting that it's hard to cross that border, it must be horrible! But I rather do that, than be in a mini raft in the ocean that might take me out to the middle of nowhere or risk of flipping over and drowning.

Crossing the sea/ocean is much riskier than going through desert/mountains. Neither is easy breezey, but at least humans were made for land. We weren't made to last out in the middle of the sea.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
The first Latino mayor of LA since 1872 is Villaraigosa.
his name was cristobal aguilar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City