Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state is more influenced by Mexicans and other Hispanics?
California 81 38.76%
Texas 128 61.24%
Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 05:59 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,035,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I couldn't agree more with Red John and TasteLikeCandy's premise. It seems the benefits of multi culturalism(food, music, events, etc) are lauded when it's convenient. But they don't want to actually live near these people.
From what I read in previous pages the Cali posters are downplaying Calis Mexican heritage. It like they look down on Mexican influence as a bad thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 10:43 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,592,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
From what I read in previous pages the Cali posters are downplaying Calis Mexican heritage. It like they look down on Mexican influence as a bad thing.
Yeah, it's ONLY California posters. It's not like earlier in the thread, Texas poster's weren't trying to deflect any sort of history with Mexico despite the fact that Texas has the longest land border with Mexico. No, it's only California posters, you're right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
So are we just going to ignore the black population in Texas??? The African American population is much more significant in Texas than the Asian population is in California. I'd go with California; Texas historically has ties to both Mexico and the South. Many Mexicans here in Texas are strongly influenced by the south.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemike84 View Post
texas is least influenced by mexico. texas border is mexican but the mexican american outside the border region & san antonio seem to be like rednecks or like texan blacks (southern), so either they are wearing redneck attire or have good teeth. lol. california excluding north california seem more mexican influenced. the mexican seem more boastful in their mexicaness while in texas the tejanos distinguish themselves from mexicans. amzingly in massachettus u got 2 and 3rd generation boricuas who still got the puerto rican accent
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUM398 View Post
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brother, you don't have the slightest clue to what you are saying. Houston Black Population is far from declining. Every demographic with the exception of Jewish is increasing in the Houston city and metro areas.

Houston is one of the top cities in the US for black americans.

In regards to this poll, Texas Hispanics are a different breed to California Hispanics. Texas Hispanics are majority White Hispanics. Just over 60% of our hispanic population is White-Hispanic with strong ties to Texas or the White Majority cities in Mexico like Monterrey. We do have a large number of Mestizo Hispanics but they are poor, uneducated, and are concentrated in the lower south texas plains and urban areas.

This is the reason why Texas doesn't appear to be effected politically to the degree that California is by the large hispanic population, because the White Hispanic in Cali is just under half the hispanic population.

Texas hispanic population is 30+%. The White Hispanic population makes up 20+% of the states total population.

California and Texas both have heavy hispanic roots, but California is more exposed to Mestizo Hispanic....which is much different then the White Hispanic. Essentially Texas vastly more European then California.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I was just about to say the same thing about Texas; that is, "my" part of the state (Houston and virtually most areas east of I-35). Aside from the fact that Texans love them some fajitas and chili con queso, I can't think of any other outstanding way that Hispanic culture has a direct or indirect influence on those of us who aren't Mexican; certainly not to the point where it would be remarkably greater than in California. In South and West Texas, that might be a different story, though.

Something to consider: in the 40+ county region of East Texas, African Americans are still the largest minority group, which results in a huge, distinct chunk of the state being arguably more influenced by black culture. Does such a large area exist in California?
It's EVERYONE: both California AND Texas posters.

Don't let this JeffSanDimas character fool you. Californians really aren't that hostile in the real world. He'd legit hate what the LA professional world looks like nowadays, including the very office I am in right now (and I work for a relatively large law firm, as a law clerk). It's easy to live off the taxpayer and complain about the immigrants behind the computer, when people like me and the lawyers I work for, and the other law students I go to school with have bigger things to worry about.

I'm glad I live in a cosmopolitan area. I'm glad my co-workers and friends are of many different shades of culture, and speak many different languages. I'm glad that I get to go to my friend's sister's quincenera this weekend in Granada Hills, then get to go to a Filipino birthday party the next day, followed by an event with the Armenian law student event at night. I'm really glad for that. I'm glad that I actually get to use the languages I know on a daily basis, instead of bragging about it having no real use.

If that bothers you, then your priorities in life are pretty ***** up.

Last edited by Lets Eat Candy; 04-01-2015 at 10:53 AM..

Old 04-01-2015, 11:24 AM

Location: Simi Valley, California - which was once part of the USA
350 posts, read 536,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Yeah, it's ONLY California posters. It's not like earlier in the thread, Texas poster's weren't trying to deflect any sort of history with Mexico despite the fact that Texas has the longest land border with Mexico. No, it's only California posters, you're right.

It's EVERYONE: both California AND Texas posters.

Don't let this JeffSanDimas character fool you. Californians really aren't that hostile in the real world. He'd legit hate what the LA professional world looks like nowadays, including the very office I am in right now (and I work for a relatively large law firm, as a law clerk). It's easy to live off the taxpayer and complain about the immigrants behind the computer, when people like me and the lawyers I work for, and the other law students I go to school with have bigger things to worry about.

I'm glad I live in a cosmopolitan area. I'm glad my co-workers and friends are of many different shades of culture, and speak many different languages. I'm glad that I get to go to my friend's sister's quincenera this weekend in Granada Hills, then get to go to a Filipino birthday party the next day, followed by an event with the Armenian law student event at night. I'm really glad for that. I'm glad that I actually get to use the languages I know on a daily basis, instead of bragging about it having no real use.

If that bothers you, then your priorities in life are pretty ***** up.

Didn't realize that foreign people was something to prioritize? Or that "the real world" is devoid of anglophonic white Americans.

Again, I think its almost laughable how folks on here live in this bizarre world where "diversity" trumps all else.

You're exaggerating, in the professional world from my perception it seems to be 99% white or East Asian, and the only Mexicans you see at offices are sweeping the floor.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSanDimas View Post

You're exaggerating, in the professional world from my perception it seems to be 99% white or East Asian, and the only Mexicans you see at offices are sweeping the floor.
Yeah, and that isn't an exaggeration in of itself. You should hang out at Pershing Square or 7th and Fig sometime. Some associate from Deloitte (555 S. Grand Avenue) or Latham and Watkins (355 S. Grand Avenue) might walk by you and laugh when you ask them to clean the floor.

Let me know what profession you work in, while you're going to CSUN and commuting from the Conejo Valley.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Yeah, and that isn't an exaggeration in of itself. You should hang out at Pershing Square or 7th and Fig sometime. Some associate from Deloitte (555 S. Grand Avenue) or Latham and Watkins (355 S. Grand Avenue) might walk by you and laugh when you ask them to clean the floor.

Let me know what profession you work in, while you're going to CSUN and commuting from the Conejo Valley.
Been in my dads office many times...also those jobs necessitate a 4 year degree right? At CSUN I see very few people who aren't persian, Jewish, Armenian, white or East Asian, and in the time I have spent at UCLA it's pretty much the same thing. I moved to the Conejo Valley to be around normal folks and get away from the away of freaks that inhabit the Los Angeles basin.

Why would I hang out by Pershing square or the rest of DTLA? I'm not homeless

Old 04-01-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSanDimas View Post
Been in my dads office many times...also those jobs necessitate a 4 year degree right? At CSUN I see very few people who aren't persian, Jewish, Armenian, white or East Asian, and in the time I have spent at UCLA it's pretty much the same thing.

Why would I hang out by Pershing square or the rest of DTLA? I'm not homeless
Now I know you're lying. My folks live DOWN THE STREET FROM CSUN, you literally can't lie to me about that.

From the CSUN Website:
Racial and Ethnic Background of Students Enrolled in Fall 2013 | California State University, Northridge

38.0% Latino
27.2% White (which includes Armenians and Persians)
10.9% Asian
5.9% Black

On Wednesdays, there's a farmer's market at Pershing Square. I know this because I go there, every Wednesday. You know, a farmer's market, things that cost money. Something I doubt you have because you're most likely an angry teenager or someone in their early 20s.

You have a lot of growing up to do, kid. I'm done responding to you. Have the last word if you wish.

Last edited by Lets Eat Candy; 04-01-2015 at 12:14 PM..

Old 04-01-2015, 12:27 PM

496 posts, read 574,120 times
Quote:
Now I know you're lying. My folks live DOWN THE STREET FROM CSUN, you literally can't lie to me about that.

From the CSUN Website:
Racial and Ethnic Background of Students Enrolled in Fall 2013 | California State University, Northridge

38.0% Latino
10.9% Asian
5.9% Black

On Wednesdays, there's a farmer's market at Pershing Square. I know this because I go there, every Wednesday. You know, a farmer's market, things that cost money. Something I doubt you have because you're most likely an angry teenager or someone in their early 20s.

You have a lot of growing up to do, kid. I'm done responding to you. Have the last word if you wish.
trust me, this poster is beyond rational and accurate. Pay no attention to him.

you should see the stuff he posts in the LA forum.

It's shocking. And the fact that this is 2015 and he thinks like this is beyond sad.

it's kind of scary actually.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:

From the CSUN Website:

38.0% Latino
10.9% Asian
5.9% Black

I don't see how I have a lot of growing up to do..because I think DTLA is seedy and scary. It is. I don't go there, I wouldn't go there and I wouldn't work there. I don't have much money but I don't spend what I do have at farming markets a couple of blocks from Skid Row, if I want fruit I go grocery shopping I don't need to go to a farming market in seedy and homeless infested Downtown Los Angeles to be cool.

Again, the ethnicity thing is just my perspective. Never do I encounter Mexicans at CSUN, maybe we roll in different circles idk.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin_elise_ View Post

It's shocking. And the fact that this is 2015 and he thinks like this is beyond sad.

What is scary? Opinions that are not yours??

Old 04-01-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin_elise_ View Post

I actually think it's trolling. People like that should consider getting off City Data and trolling on 4chan.

I'm more concerned (as much you can be) by the more long time boosters on this forum, who might not have the same exact thoughts, but some of the same thoughts. Thankfully, the real world is a lot different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City