U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-11-2012, 08:18 AM

19 posts, read 22,800 times

Advertisements

Looking to relocate for a few reasons. I own an internet company, so I'm not moving for a job, but I am moving for no income tax

What we (late 20's couple) like: hiking, parks, running paths, lakes, outdoor activities, good sunny weather, nice people, good quality of life, decent shopping, whole foods type stores, nice gyms, not a lot of traffic, movie theaters etc. Not into bars or partying.

I think I've narrowed it down to these two areas. I've been to both. I'm concerned about the heat and the traffic in Austin and also how far it is from other cities, but also concerned I might be bored in Nashville after a while.

Loved the Franklin, cool springs, area in Nashville for homes, shopping, central location etc. I've only been to Austin proper, westlake etc, not Round Rock, but it was suggested to me, but I loved a lot about Austin, like the younger hipper feel, the endless hiking trails, whole foods etc.

Speaking of Austin, are there running trails in the burbs, like round rock - like the one around lady bird lake?

Thoughts on Nashville vs Austin, and/or any other suggestions? How bout the weather - how much hotter is Austin than Nashville during the summer?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 08:41 AM

461 posts, read 621,212 times
Hi verdegallardo,

I also run an internet company and just moved to Austin. Sorry, no competition please!

You will find a lot of what you like (outdoor activities, running, biking, gyms, whole foods - it's the whole foods capital) but downtown does have a lot of partying around UT and 6th street. Most of the residential areas are insulated from this to a varying degree.

I don't know RR very well but Circle C in SW Austin has a huge park with running trails as well as a bicycle-only veloway. Nashville's summer heat is not going to be as brutal as Austin's is, but Austin's winters will be more mild. If you want to run or bicycle year-around you'll be getting up VERY early in the Summer months in Austin, but they are nevertheless hugely popular activities here.

According to wiki, the average high from Jun-Sep in Austin is in the 90s, while in Nashville it's in the 80s (and it drops down to the low 80s in September, while Austin is still pretty hot throughout September).

From a tech company POV I preferred Austin's tech market to other places we considered, though we didn't really look at Nashville.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:43 AM

2,297 posts, read 3,374,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verdegallardo View Post
Speaking of Austin, are there running trails in the burbs, like round rock - like the one around lady bird lake?

Thoughts on Nashville vs Austin, and/or any other suggestions? How bout the weather - how much hotter is Austin than Nashville during the summer?
Brushy Creek Trail is the best trail around Round Rock. It's great for running. I've pasted a link below. It's not located in what people normally think of as Round Rock, but it borders the very West side of it. You didn't mention your price range for housing. Is that why Round Rock was recommended to you? If you can afford a home in the $180K-$300K price range, then you could live basically walking distance to Brushy Creek Trail (Round Rock, Cedar Park, North Austin), but you also don't mention kids. I personally wouldn't choose to live in that area if I wasn't planning on having kids soon.

Brushy Creek Regional Trail

And just to add, if you're a serious runner, you'll have to adapt to the extreme heat of the summer in the Austin area. Getting a good quality treadmill for your house or going to the gym is a must. You won't be able to run outside every day during the summer. It's just too hot. Some gyms have indoor running tracks that help out with the monotony of long runs on a treadmill.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:49 AM

19 posts, read 22,800 times
Thanks for the link! Price range...we would rent first @ $2500-$4000/month. Once we bought it would be ~$600kish. No kids yet. So skip round rock? Any other area recommendations? A friend is from there and he recommended Westlake, Lake Travis and Round Rock.

Wherever we live, I want a yard, and atleast some privacy. I like downtown, but feel it has no shopping, no theater, etc except for bars, restaurants and whole foods.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:53 AM

For that price range you can live pretty much anywhere you want in Austin. Westlake is probably the nicest/most convenient area. Lake Travis will be a little more remote but more scenic - you'll be a good 25 minutes outside of Austin and most of the shopping around there is centered on the Galleria, which is a huge shopping-plex with a Whole Foods and a ton of other stores.

Your dollar will go a bit further in Round Rock than it will in Westlake or Lakeway (on Lake Travis) but I think if I were you I'd focus on Westlake and the area off of the 360 loop.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:57 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,763,138 times
Isn't Nashville the live COUNTRY music capital of the world? Or something like that....anyways, not sure which city I would pick in this situation. Nashville is a FAR more attractive city with access to beautiful rolling hills with dense forests. Also about 2 hours from real mountains. It also rains on a normal basis so it's far greener overall than brown desertlike Austin.

Cost of living is lower in Nashville, and it isn't nearly as isolated as Austin with regards to other cities. Basically you only have SA, Houston and Dallas within an easy drive from Austin--Nashville has many more larger metro areas within 3 hours.

Crime is higher in Nashville, however. Climate is colder in the winter, and cooler in the summer. Overall pretty crummy year round weather much like Austin. Unlike Austin, Nashville does get regular rainfall which keeps everything nice and green!

One big advantage to Nashville--it's not in Texas!!

Anyways, its a hard decision--good luck to you.

Quote:
Looking to relocate for a few reasons. I own an internet company, so I'm not moving for a job, but I am moving for no income tax

What we (late 20's couple) like: hiking, parks, running paths, lakes, outdoor activities, good sunny weather, nice people, good quality of life, decent shopping, whole foods type stores, nice gyms, not a lot of traffic, movie theaters etc. Not into bars or partying.

I think I've narrowed it down to these two areas. I've been to both. I'm concerned about the heat and the traffic in Austin and also how far it is from other cities, but also concerned I might be bored in Nashville after a while.

Loved the Franklin, cool springs, area in Nashville for homes, shopping, central location etc. I've only been to Austin proper, westlake etc, not Round Rock, but it was suggested to me, but I loved a lot about Austin, like the younger hipper feel, the endless hiking trails, whole foods etc.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:05 AM

4,025 posts, read 6,240,890 times
Quote:
Thanks for the link! Price range...we would rent first @ $2500-$4000/month. Once we bought it would be ~$600kish. No kids yet. So skip round rock? Any other area recommendations? A friend is from there and he recommended Westlake, Lake Travis and Round Rock.

Wherever we live, I want a yard, and atleast some privacy. I like downtown, but feel it has no shopping, no theater, etc except for bars, restaurants and whole foods.
Round rock is more of a compromise city. It is a bit far out so it is a bit cheaper. If you are going to spend 600k it would be one of the most expensive houses in round rock.

Not sure what kind of shopping you are looking for, but north has most of the chain shopping (via the domain, arboretum and arborwalk). Barton creek mall (south west) has nordstrom. Based on what you described I would recommend northwest. 600K wont get you much in westlake so you are probably looking more at great hills or some areas just north. There are areas that arent in HOAs that have older homes but much larger lots along dk ranch and texas plume. Alternately you can get a greenbelt facing lot which will give you good privacy.

Personally south has more of the austin vibe and is a bit closer to downtown. South congress is a lot of fun, but it depends on what you want.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:06 AM

2,297 posts, read 3,374,312 times
Quote:

So, from everything that you've stated, I don't really understand why your friend is recommending Westlake, Lake Travis, and Round Rock with your price range. Those are all great areas, but those are places where you will do a lot more driving and are generally some of the best places to raise a family. You sacrifice a lot of your specific wants in exchange for very family oriented areas and great public schools.

I would focus on locations that are bit more central given all your stated wants. I would definitely look at the areas around the North Central Market grocery store (similar to Whole Foods, but owned by HEB). Rosedale is a great location. There are areas closer to Zilker park that I think would fit for you as well, but I'm not as familiar with those areas.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:07 AM

4,025 posts, read 6,240,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Isn't Nashville the live COUNTRY music capital of the world? Or something like that....anyways, not sure which city I would pick in this situation. Nashville is a FAR more attractive city with access to beautiful rolling hills with dense forests. Also about 2 hours from real mountains. It also rains on a normal basis so it's far greener overall than brown desertlike Austin.

One big advantage to Nashville--it's not in Texas!!

Anyways, its a hard decision--good luck to you.
Ive got one way tickets for you and your whole family to move to nashville.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:08 AM

One big advantage to Nashville....eepstein doesn't lurk on their forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City