U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which metro region?
Minneapolis-St. Paul 33 21.02%
Los Angeles 35 22.29%
Chicago 6 3.82%
Philadelphia 8 5.10%
New York 7 4.46%
Bay Area 1 0.64%
Dallas-Ft. Worth 44 28.03%
Houston 10 6.37%
Phoenix 3 1.91%
Other 10 6.37%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 07-17-2012, 12:09 PM
 
Location: Dallas,Texas
5,272 posts, read 7,202,860 times
Reputation: 2039

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Northpark Dallas is a local shopping destination.

Houston Galleria is the regional shopping mecca.


Houston Galleria - 375 stores - 2.4 million square feet of retail space - 4 floors

Northpark Dallas - 235 stores - 2 million square feet of retail space - 2 floors
There's absolutely nothing special about the Houston Galleria. NorthPark Center displays art throughout the mall and it's design will never go out of style. I've never seen a mall that hasn't changed/alter it's original design (other than NorthPark) The size of the Houston Galleria doesn't make it better, the quality of stores in NorthPark just makes it better.

NorthPark Center has the highest grossing Neiman-Marcus and Dillard's in the USA.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-17-2012, 12:16 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 27,264,418 times
Reputation: 7566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
There's absolutely nothing special about the Houston Galleria. NorthPark Center displays art throughout the mall and it's design will never go out of style. I've never seen a mall that hasn't changed/alter it's original design (other than NorthPark) The size of the Houston Galleria doesn't make it better, the quality of stores in NorthPark just makes it better.

NorthPark Center has the highest grossing Neiman-Marcus and Dillard's in the USA.
North Park copied many of The Galleria's design. And all malls display art

Leave Dallas every now and then
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2012, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
20,344 posts, read 20,441,018 times
Reputation: 31588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Northpark Dallas is a local shopping destination.

Houston Galleria is the regional shopping mecca.


Houston Galleria - 375 stores - 2.4 million square feet of retail space - 4 floors

Northpark Dallas - 235 stores - 2 million square feet of retail space - 2 floors
I once walked past the Galleria, can't say the same for Northpark.

my vote goes decisively to the Galleria.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2012, 01:12 PM
 
185 posts, read 357,308 times
Reputation: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
Minneapolis has the largest mall in the US.
And? That doesn't mean it's the best mall. Besides King of Prussia mall is now the largest mall in the U.S.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2012, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Dallas,Texas
5,272 posts, read 7,202,860 times
Reputation: 2039
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
North Park copied many of The Galleria's design. And all malls display art

Leave Dallas every now and then
NorthPark Center was built in 1965, so how could we copy the Galleria's design?

You need to look at this

Tribute to NorthPark Center - You + Dallas
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2012, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, New York
3,236 posts, read 3,478,472 times
Reputation: 2850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I guess it's also the birthplace of the enclosed shopping mall, Southdale in Edina, and I believe others have been featured in motion pictures. I'm not sure how it compares with the Metroplex on a blow-by-blow basis. Also curious to know how NYC stacks up: obviously the shopping in Manhattan totally dominates, but I wonder if there are any big malls in outer parts of Queens, Statten, or Long Island, or is high street shopping too dominant even there?
The other boroughs of NYC are just like Manhattan, it is all street shopping and almost no malls. In NYC itself on average there is like one mall for every one million people (and no one even goes to those compared to the traffic of shopping streets). 99% of the malls of NYC area are in the suburbs.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2012, 01:59 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 27,264,418 times
Reputation: 7566
NorthPark looks like a 1950's office building. The Galleria is nice as malls go:


Photo: Wikipedia Commons
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2012, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Dallas,Texas
5,272 posts, read 7,202,860 times
Reputation: 2039
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
NorthPark looks like a 1950's office building. The Galleria is nice as malls go:


Photo: Wikipedia Commons
The Houston Galleria had numerous renovations over the years, that's why it looks like that. The Galleria looks like the average suburban mall. I've seen pictures of the Houston Galleria in the 70s and it was nothing to write home about. Thank God it was renovated.

The design of NorthPark is so good that it never needed to be updated.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2012, 02:13 PM
 
Location: America
7 posts, read 6,371 times
Reputation: 12
Los angeles
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2012, 05:39 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,805 posts, read 16,996,201 times
Reputation: 8981
Quote:
Originally Posted by stasi_crystals View Post
And? That doesn't mean it's the best mall. Besides King of Prussia mall is now the largest mall in the U.S.
MoA has around 520 stores... KoP has just over 400. Not only we have the largest we also have the first enclosed mall, Southdale Center in Edina.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top