Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...
Denver 194 69.04%
Charlotte 87 30.96%
Voters: 281. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 03:15 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,764,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagrown View Post
Charlotte has more concerts than Denver and that's a proven fact.
Denver does not have more recreational activities either.

"if you are single, looking for cultural things to do that involve different diverse genres then CLT.is not the place for you." Then neither is Denver.
Okay, what is your source that proves Charlotte has more concerts?

Charlotte may have an equal amount of recreational activities available than Denver, sure, but Denver's are definitely superior in quality and more accessible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 03:37 PM

704 posts, read 1,786,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnLion512 View Post
Okay, what is your source that proves Charlotte has more concerts?

Charlotte may have an equal amount of recreational activities available than Denver, sure, but Denver's are definitely superior in quality and more accessible.
If you like fishing, boating, and the beach, then Charlotte may very well be a whole lot better than Denver in terms of recreational opportunities. Charlotte has both the ocean and the mountains within a reasonable drive. I happen to agree that Denver is better in terms of outdoorsy stuff, but it's almost entirely mountain-oriented. Charlotte has a wider array of activities available, because it's not a flat, dry, high plains base camp for hiking and skiing like Denver is.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:39 PM

704 posts, read 1,786,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Denver is much more similar in culture to Chicago than Charlotte though.
I've never found Chicago and Denver to be very similar. Charlotte is a large, business-and-family-oriented city full of transplants, and is relatively new and wealthy. That's a lot like Denver. Chicago is an older, less white-collar, more gritty-hipster mega-metro area. Denver and Charlotte are much more vanilla, generic, etc. It's not a bad thing, and it tends to attract jobs, families, etc. But it is what it is.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:49 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,764,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
If you like fishing, boating, and the beach, then Charlotte may very well be a whole lot better than Denver in terms of recreational opportunities. Charlotte has both the ocean and the mountains within a reasonable drive. I happen to agree that Denver is better in terms of outdoorsy stuff, but it's almost entirely mountain-oriented. Charlotte has a wider array of activities available, because it's not a flat, dry, high plains base camp for hiking and skiing like Denver is.
I guess...IMO when it comes down to it both cities are reasonably close to a variety of recreational activities. However, the ocean and its activities are pretty monolithic, whereas with the Rockies immediately adjacent to the West, are incredibly varied in the amount of year-round activities one can partake in. However, I will concede that when I think recreational activities I'm specifically referring to 'active' activities, such as snowboarding, mountain biking, climbing, paddling, snow-shoeing, hiking 14ers, etc. etc....furthermore, many of these activities are the best in the country of that type (arguably skiing, hiking, mtn biking) I lived on the Front Range for 15+ years and these are the activities I participated in on a regular basis. The abundance of this type of activity is a big player in making Colorado the least obese state. I would not immediately include boating or laying out on the beach as 'recreational activities' as they are not active activities... although I do love both of those things as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
I've never found Chicago and Denver to be very similar. Charlotte is a large, business-and-family-oriented city full of transplants, and is relatively new and wealthy. That's a lot like Denver. Chicago is an older, less white-collar, more gritty-hipster mega-metro area. Denver and Charlotte are much more vanilla, generic, etc. It's not a bad thing, and it tends to attract jobs, families, etc. But it is what it is.
I certainly agree that Denver is quite vanilla...but on the other hand Charlotte is even more so, IMO.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:52 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,787,894 times
Quote:
How does pro sports have anything to do with this? & Denver does NOT have "slightly more concert options", Charlotte wins that no doubt. Denver has mountains/hiking. Charlotte has the mountains, beaches and climate.

if you are single, looking for cultural things to do that involve different diverse genres then CLT.is not the place for you. Then neither is Denver.

Charlotte and Denver are very similar cities, so I don't understand why this thread was even made.

Dude. - Chill. It's just an opinion. Respect it. I respect yours.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:11 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,050,206 times
Quote:
How does pro sports have anything to do with this? & Denver does NOT have "slightly more concert options", Charlotte wins that no doubt. Denver has mountains/hiking. Charlotte has the mountains, beaches and climate.

if you are single, looking for cultural things to do that involve different diverse genres then CLT.is not the place for you. Then neither is Denver.

Charlotte and Denver are very similar cities, so I don't understand why this thread was even made.
You really need to stop. Denver and Charlotte are not similar cities. They attract people from different areas of the country so they have differing vibes.

Quote:
Charlotte has more concerts than Denver and that's a proven fact.
This is complete b.s. Charlotte will get the mainstream concerts, but good luck seeing an up and coming band or a good independent show. Denver is a must stop for most bands while Charlotte gets bypassed. That's a fact.

Last edited by BlackOut; 08-03-2012 at 04:20 PM..

Old 08-03-2012, 04:36 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,685,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Denver is much more similar in culture to Chicago than Charlotte though.
No...just no. Denver is a great city and all but Chicago beats Denver in pretty much every category. The only advantage I can see Denver having is better weather and mountain views.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:37 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,685,111 times
Quote:

Pro sports is a big plus IMO. You do know Denver has mountains and climate as well right?

Old 08-03-2012, 05:00 PM

365 posts, read 496,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Charlotte reeks!!!!!....Lets just call it what it is .....A conservative, non-progressive city, not big on diversity that lacks a quality of life for older singles. Charlotte does however have affordable housing though.It's definitely a "married" town for sure. So-called nightlife sucks too...And theres just not enough "GOOD" jobs to keep up with the amount of people that moved here. Sorry but $10 an hr is not going to cut it in today's economy.Charlotte is a very fickle city. Very "clickish" to some degree. I mean if you are married, settled, content, then Charlotte is definitely suited for you. But if you are single, looking for cultural things to do that involve different diverse genres then CLT.is not the place for you.
This is so false
Not even conservative

Old 08-03-2012, 07:47 PM

126 posts, read 294,854 times
Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks Charlotte and Denver are similar... the other Charlotte/Denver threat also states this.

If you "respect" my opinion and want me to respect yours, I think you need to watch how you word your sentences; "Dude. - Chill" is coming of more in a smart way.

Charlotte may have mainstream concerts, but that's whats in today.

It depends on the person of which city is better for them... so the point in all the attacking against Charlotte and what is said about it is not needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City