Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...
Denver 194 69.04%
Charlotte 87 30.96%
Voters: 281. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 10:07 AM

1,588 posts, read 4,060,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagrown View Post
How does this have anything to do with Charlotte vs. Denver? Regardless of what concerts come to Denver and what concerts come to Charlotte does not make Charlotte any less of Charlotte. Stop comparing music scenes to a city that has no relevance in the thread and don't bash another city because it isn't up to your liking.
Once you are a moderator, then you can tell others what they can and can't post. Until then, don't respond if you don't like what others have to say. The fact is that someone from Charlotte made a big deal about concerts and another Charlotte member brought demographics into discussion (as if demographics have automatically made Charlotte some hip-hop / rap mecca). I'm from Charlotte and I used my experiences living in other cities (Denver and Minneapolis) in the discussion. Again, if you don't like it, tough. Go and discuss Charlotte with only those who are from there and have the same opinion as you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 10:12 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,098,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
North Carolina is in the South?
Since when was NC not the south?

Old 08-07-2012, 10:15 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,341,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
Man, NOBODY outside of YOU has heard of those acts... y'all are trying too hard. Lol
I'm not gonna lie. I have NEVER heard of any of those cats. I have heard of Project Pat though and he has done some things here in Charlotte with local rappers. I'm not a huge fan of rappers who talk about drugs as if it's a "good thing", but look up "Featuring PROJECT PAT "Charlotte On The Rise" by Cam & Red OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO" on youtube.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:26 AM

209 posts, read 304,173 times
Both seem like reasonable places to live, but I personally would give the edge to Denver.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:32 AM

252 posts, read 492,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I'm not gonna lie. I have NEVER heard of any of those cats. I have heard of Project Pat though and he has done some things here in Charlotte with local rappers. I'm not a huge fan of rappers who talk about drugs as if it's a "good thing", but look up "Featuring PROJECT PAT "Charlotte On The Rise" by Cam & Red OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO" on youtube.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:16 AM

737 posts, read 1,653,881 times
Coming from the Carolina's I was actually quite impressed with the hip hop scene in the Twin Cities. Soundset 2012 is large festival held every year in Shakopee (TC suburb) that's pretty legit. It blends many local, underground, regional, and national acts into its line up. Haven't been since moving here but plan on attending soon! Then of course there are always many local venues that have several acts performing (Triple Rock, Fine Line, & Cabooze have been where I typically go to see them), Anyway not to intrude I know this a rumble between Denver and Charlotte so I will steer clear.

Last edited by sandlapper; 08-07-2012 at 11:26 AM..

Old 08-07-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unity77 View Post
I've seen and heard far worse make it to the top 10 on the weekly hip hop countdowns. That's one of the reasons why my android is filled with 90s hip hip. Wu-Tang, Crucial Conflict, Jay-Z, Nas, Biggie, Pac, Big Pun, Snoop, Onyx, Gravediggaz etc. I'm almost 32 years old and I can't stand this "hip-pop" that teens listen to today. I'd much rather go see the Foo Fighters or Coldplay than listen to wannabe hip-hop.

Still though, I think you missed the point of my previous post. Clearly you can hear the "southerness" and ATL influence in the typical Charlotte rapper's technique. "Down south" is where Charlotte is located so naturally "down south" is the type of rap you will hear in these parts. Being that these guys are being co-signed by major players such as Project Pat and Lil Scrappy, I'd say they might end up being played on your local hip-hop station within the next year or two (this all depends on how well they are received in the south first). Obviously, a song that says the name "Charlotte" more than 50 times is NOT going to appeal to a National mainstream audience. Such a song was most certainly written with the idea of getting locals on board. Think about Lil Kim's "lighters up". She made a NYC version of that song where she gave a shoutout to all NYC area neighborhoods. However, her mainstream version of that song gave a shoutout to cities throughout the US. Guess which version of the song was played in Denver and Charlotte vs which version was played in Brooklyn?

With that said, Charlotte is not only a hotbed for downsouth rap; it also has quite a long history of r&b acts (some of which I'm sure you are familiar with).

All My Life - K-Ci & JoJo (With Lyrics) - YouTube

Sunshine anderson - heard it all before - YouTube

Anthony Hamilton - Coming From Where I'm From. - YouTube

Fantasia-When i see you - YouTube

^^^My point here is that Charlotte's demograhics has alot to do with the type of music that comes out of this area. Even the rock that comes out of this area is influenced by Charlotte's demographics. The following is a group that is classified as "rap-rock".
Paper Tongues - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Paper Tongues - Get Higher - YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
Since when was NC not the south?
Since we voted for Obama...

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 08-07-2012 at 11:43 AM..

Old 08-07-2012, 11:50 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unity77 View Post
Run along qc dreamin before you end up embarrassing yourself and your Charlotte peeps again.
Man, ultra sensitive huh! You guys sound crazy saying that Denver offers more hiphop music than a city that us in the heart of the black belt!! Lol! You guys were wrong about csa population, airport ranking, annual visitors and now you have the audacity to say you guys have a better hip hop scene??!! Come on man, Denver is bigger than Charlotte but not league above it. You guys area tryin to make out Denver like its Atlanta, Dallas, or D.C. Stop it!

Old 08-07-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
You guys area tryin to make out Denver like its Atlanta, Dallas, or D.C. Stop it!
If you've ever visited Denver (which I have) you'll notice that there is a mentality there as if their city is on par with major eastcoast cities such as Atl, DC, Boston, and Philly. IMO, this has to do with Denver's extreme isolation. Let's look at the isolation of Denver vs Charlotte.

Denver
The closest city to Denver (that is larger than Denver) is Phoenix (a metro area smaller than Atlanta). Pheonix is 800 miles away from Denver.

Charlotte
Within 800 miles of Charlotte, we have:
Chicago, Detroit, DC, Atl, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Columbus, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Miami, New Orleans, Nashville, Memphis, Orlando, Tampa, Philly, NYC, Toronto, Indianapolis, and St Louis

Here is how things look locally.

Colorado (Denver is located slightly north east of the state's center)
5,116,796 population
103,642 sq/miles of land
Colorado QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

NC/SC (if they were one state, Charlotte would be located slightly north west of the state's center)
14,335,631 population
78,679 sq/miles of land
North Carolina QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
South Carolina QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

So, imagine if Charlotte was only slightly larger than it is now. However, there were 9 million fewer people in NC/SC and the nearest city larger than Charlotte was located in Canada (and that city is a smaller metro than Atlanta). Wouldn't most Charlotteans walk around thinking their city was some real "big chit"? That's basically Denver in a nutshell. Make sense now? Isolation has led to better name recognition and well as a MUCH larger "big city" mentality in Denver. Charlotte on the other hand is the "weed" who has to grow up in the shadows of much older, taller, and more established "trees". As a result, Charlotte (a city who is in a similar league as Denver) is not known by name as well as Denver. It's easier to recognize a name when you are the only kid in the classroom; not as easy when you are in the company of many peers as well as bigger kids. If Denver was located only 4 hours away from metro Atlanta and 6 hours away from DC, only then would they (folks in Denver) know what it's like to be a 2.5 million-ish metro in the shadows of larger-nearby cities.

Luckily for Charlotte, our president (who is a smart man) reconized this truth that I've just posted. He was able to see beyond the media calling Charlotte "Charlotte, NC". He saw similarities in cities like Charlotte that he saw in cities like Denver. As a result, he decided to expand his party's geography by placing their convention in Charlotte right after a successful convention in Denver. All of the evidence shows what guys like you and I have been saying all along, but few people will ever give Charlotte the respect it deserves because we're not the only kid in the classroom. Plain and simple. Isolation breeds destination. Great for Denver, sucks to be Charlotte.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:02 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,826,102 times
Denver for every metric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City