Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...
Denver 194 69.04%
Charlotte 87 30.96%
Voters: 281. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 05:48 PM

10,744 posts, read 23,798,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Albuquerque looks nothing like Denver...at all.
This is true
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 07:31 PM

704 posts, read 1,791,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Except all of those places look nothing like Denver. Have you been to these places, GoneNative?

SLC and Boise look similar to Denver, I'll give you that. But you'd clearly be able to tell the difference.

Albuquerque looks nothing like Denver...at all.

Kansas City is hillier and greener than Denver. They look nothing a like.

Indianapolis just doesn't look like Denver.

A serious question. You don't seem to take well to Denver. Why do you stay?
Oh, Denver is alright. I am from here, and it is a lot easier and more rewarding raising kids near family rather than marooned in some other place without the help and love. And a good professional life here helps, too. I wouldn't have ever chosen Denver, but family is family and that generally trumps personal pique.

There is a goofy tendency on City-Data to turn literally every thread into some weird my-city-is-more-liberal/urban/walkable/hip/public transit-y/foody -than-your-city. It is ridiculous. Everyone here literally thinks that their city is Portland with better weather. I've lived in Oregon and couldn't wait to get out. Why would you want your city to be like Portland? I can't stand that place. There is more to life than bicycles, dive bars, and and organic co-ops. Most people couldn't care less how many microbreweries or retro thrift stores are in their city. And so I don't care about Denver's post-emo music scene or whatever other gimmick people think is so desirable. I have my family, and that pretty much makes it interesting enough.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:24 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
The majority of people in Denver don't ski and the vast majority have nothing to do with pot. So much of Denver's image is this farsical South Park charade that people soon realize describes a tiny percent of the area. Some people think it's sort of this large celebration of millennial ethos when it is really not much more than a generic, suburbanized family and business town that has the weather and mountains to make it reasonably attractive to a lot of people.
It seems that pot is much more socially acceptable in Denver than it is here in Chicago (granted, I lived in Denver for 9 years and have only been in Chicago for a few months). Although I don't smoke pot, I knew a lot of people in Denver who did, and I absolutely respected their right to do so.

Sometimes, your posts make me feel as though the Denver area is too progressive for you? Have you considered moving to a more conservative city like Dallas or Indianapolis?

Old 02-08-2014, 02:03 PM

704 posts, read 1,791,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
It seems that pot is much more socially acceptable in Denver than it is here in Chicago (granted, I lived in Denver for 9 years and have only been in Chicago for a few months). Although I don't smoke pot, I knew a lot of people in Denver who did, and I absolutely respected their right to do so.

Sometimes, your posts make me feel as though the Denver area is too progressive for you? Have you considered moving to a more conservative city like Dallas or Indianapolis?
There are plenty of very vocal and intensely conservative people in the Denver area. If it were purely conservatism I was looking for, I wouldnt have to move to Dallas to find it.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:01 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,654,825 times
I've never visited Denver in the winter, but I'm curious as to how Denver's winters compare to Charlotte's (cold, damp, dreary, sometimes icy/snowy).

Old 02-09-2014, 09:56 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
I've never visited Denver in the winter, but I'm curious as to how Denver's winters compare to Charlotte's (cold, damp, dreary, sometimes icy/snowy).
Charlotte's winters are quite warm by comparison with very little snow/ice. It does go below freezing at times, but it's also very common to have many days and nights in a row above freezing.

February average high/low in Charlotte is 55/32 with 1" of snow. Charlotte, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

February average high/low in Denver is 46/19 with 6" of snow. Denver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-11-2014, 05:58 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,936,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
I've lived in both areas and they are quite different. Technically the winter lasts quite a bit longer in Denver, but CO is a weird place, weather-wise. You could see snow anytime from September to May, and it's possible to see only snow (and very little, if any rain) for that entire stretch. But you'll see a lot of sunshine and mild temperatures during that time, as well. Also, most of Denver's snow usually comes in Fall or in Spring, not in the middle of the winter, as you'd expect. The biggest thing to keep in mind is that in a place with relatively high elevation and low humidity, the temperature often feels different than what it says on the thermometer. Denver's sunshine often makes the temp feel much higher than it actually is. So you learn to bring layers with you when you go out. I can recall numerous days where it was warm enough for a short sleeve shirt at lunch time and it was a blizzard by dinnertime. Likewise, I've seen it warm up quickly enough that you're walking around outside in the 60's or 70's while there's still a foot or two of snow on the ground. People that claim their weather is erratic haven't spent time on the Front Range.

Charlotte is quite a bit grayer, and milder in terms of much smaller temperature fluctuations. Snow and especially ice storms (and real ice storms are scary, not fun at all) can happen between December and March. Some winters feature a persistent pattern can cause a few wintry weather situations in a row (like right now, for example). Other winters, there's barely any of the white stuff at all. There are generally some warm-ups- true cold snaps very rarely stick around for more than a day or two.

Overall, it depends on what you're looking for. Charlotte has many more days with chilly rain (which is the worst, in my book), but has it's share of pleasant mild winter days as well- though more cloud cover. Denver has many more snowy days and much colder snaps, but they are also very brief, and the city has a lot more sunshine and far more days in the 50's and 60's than people from other places realize. Weirdly enough, Denver winters don't feel that much colder, but there is the potential for snow or cold air for a much longer period of time.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,538 times
Thinking of relocating to USA from South Africa. As a family with 3 boys which is a better place to settle for schools, outdoor activies, great safe neighbourhoods, cost of living etc? We are considering Denver or North Carolina area.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:47 PM

415 posts, read 606,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriedemann View Post
Thinking of relocating to USA from South Africa. As a family with 3 boys which is a better place to settle for schools, outdoor activies, great safe neighbourhoods, cost of living etc? We are considering Denver or North Carolina area.
Schools are hit or miss in both cities.
Outdoor activities- Denver has hiking, zoo, and festivals.
Great safe neighborhoods- Both have them, but Charlotte is more family friendly.
Cost of living- Charlotte has lower cost homes even in the more expensive brackets.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:02 AM

29 posts, read 24,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
There are plenty of very vocal and intensely conservative people in the Denver area. If it were purely conservatism I was looking for, I wouldnt have to move to Dallas to find it.
This. Denver may have some very progressive qualities but as a former resident you definitely have your fair share of intensely conservative people. Basically, no matter who you are you'll probably find happiness in Denver provided you don't mind the snowstorms sandwiched between the sunshine during the winter months, and if you don't mind being isolated from major cities relatively speaking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City