Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 01:34 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,563,763 times

Advertisements

Looking to download an app for the best station on the Westcoast region. Id prefere them not to play too many old songs. Not really interested in the personalities of the stations, but want to know which city is known for breaking new music for it trinkles its way to the midwest, downsouth & eastcoast areas. Is it Seattle? the Bay Area? LA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 01:52 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
I'm gonna guess LA (just because it is the largest city and probably has the most stations) but really most radio stations are pretty much the same at this point.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:16 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I'm gonna guess LA (just because it is the largest city and probably has the most stations) but really most radio stations are pretty much the same at this point.
Yeah, back in the day when stations actually had individuality, KMEL(world premiered Mariah Carey) was the king by far, and their owners copied their format and created the Beat in LA(taking John London and Theo Mizuhara down to LA).

Today, meh, radio is so bad...its the same everywhere.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:26 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,883,465 times
I don't think the westcoast gets anything older or newer on their radio stations anymore than other cities do. I had a pretty hard time finding an hip hop/ R&B station in LA which actually surprised me. The urban stations in Detroit, Chicago, and NYC is much better IMO. You should get I heart radio. You can choose a city and see many (but not all) radio stations in that area. It's a great app. But I think I heart radio somehow owns all those stations or something because most of the urban stations in big cities are so damn similar that even their websites are set up the same. You hear the same music pretty much except some local stuff from time to time.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Thats lazy man. All stations are not the same, that is why I am asking people who live in these cities.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
I don't think the westcoast gets anything older or newer on their radio stations anymore than other cities do. I had a pretty hard time finding an hip hop/ R&B station in LA which actually surprised me. The urban stations in Detroit, Chicago, and NYC is much better IMO. You should get I heart radio. You can choose a city and see many (but not all) radio stations in that area. It's a great app. But I think I heart radio somehow owns all those stations or something because most of the urban stations in big cities are so damn similar that even their websites are set up the same. You hear the same music pretty much except some local stuff from time to time.
Yes I live in Atlanta (Clear Channel has no hip hop station in Atlanta) The iHeartRadio app is my new favorite app, thats kinda why I created this thread. Right now my favorite station from iHeartRadio is New York 105.1 and Chicagos WGCI...I even made a thread giving Chicago props for a radio station I thought was was better than the two in Atlanta

I am really feeling radio WGCI!

They pretty much told me their own station sucked..but compared to what Ive been listening to in Atlanta it was great because I wanted to hear NEW music and I did. If people HATE their local stations I say turn to your phone. Download iHeartRadio, AirKast or Winamp/Shoutcast your local station is not your final choice anymore. Mobile apps can take you to any city you want to listen to.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:20 PM

54 posts, read 82,921 times
Bay Area hands down.....KMEL 106.1 is the go to station for hip hop and R&b in the Bay Area. I can't stand LA radio stations when I drive down to LA.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:20 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Thats lazy man. All stations are not the same, that is why I am asking people who live in these cities.
IMO relying on the radio to find new, up-and-coming artists is lazy, man.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:26 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,883,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Yes I live in Atlanta (Clear Channel has no hip hop station in Atlanta) The iHeartRadio app is my new favorite app, thats kinda why I created this thread. Right now my favorite station from iHeartRadio is New York 105.1 and Chicagos WGCI...I even made a thread giving Chicago props for a radio station I thought was was better than the two in Atlanta

I am really feeling radio WGCI!

They pretty much told me their own station sucked..but compared to what Ive been listening to in Atlanta it was great because I wanted to hear NEW music and I did. If people HATE their local stations I say turn to your phone. Download iHeartRadio, AirKast or Winamp/Shoutcast your local station is not your final choice anymore. Mobile apps can take you to any city you want to listen to.
Yes those are one of my favorites too. I always cycle between NYC/Chicago/Detroit stations on there. I looked for Atlanta stations but couldn't find any. And as for the bad feedback on the Chicago thread. You should first realize your not on a urban thread what so ever. I doubt 90% of the people here listen to modern day hiphop & R&B.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:32 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,982,352 times
It's 106.1 KMEL. I don't listen to it as much as I did during the second half of the 80's and through the 90's, but they have always remained consistant. Though I have noticed in the last 5-10 years they are less involved promoting local talent as they were back in their 90's heyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City