U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 09:31 AM

11,972 posts, read 26,853,926 times

Advertisements

I love Chicago, and am staying here in spite of job opportunities in SF that keep arising. But I think SF's weather is just about perfect, except for the fog.

Restaurants? Both cities have wonderful restaurants that would keep any foodie happy. It's a toss-up. SF has better seafood for sure, but Chicago has more of everything, including high-end restaurants. And Chicago has been on the cutting edge of this new "molecular gastronomy" trend lately, though the trend seems to finally be playing itself out again.

Beauty? SF is one of the most beautiful cities in the world, and has a beauty that reaches across the entire city. Chicago has a much better "big city" dense downtown, and has a certain industrial aesthetic that many find ugly, but I embrace. Chicgao's high-rise architecture--especially the 19th Century "Chicago School" early modernism--is unrivaled anywhere in the world. SF is dense, but there are parts of Chicago that are more dense than ANY part of SF.

Suburbs? There are many beatiful older suburbs of Chicago, like Evanston, Oak Park, and the North Shore... But even the sprawl in the Bay Area looks better than the sprawl just about anywhere else. And there are very few suburbs anywhere in the country that are as beautiful and walkable as Palo Alto.

This thread is a bit ridiculous. Both SF and Chicago have many strengths and weaknesses, and both are really wonderful American cities. It's really a matter of finding the place that's right for you.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:45 AM

128 posts, read 113,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Sorry chap, San Fran's summers are rather chilly. Alot of people, myself included, prefer a warm summer. I was in San Fran back in July of 2001 and had to buy a light jacket to wear the 3 days I was there. The rest of the year San Fran experiences mild temps, far milder than Chicago's no doubt. I just dont like their summers all that much.

Sorry, Drover.

Sorry chap, but you spent three days in San Fran. How does that give you authority to say that more people prefer San Fran summers over Chicago's?

I'm sorry, but the last time I took a gander at population statistics, San Fran gained more people that Chicago, so obviously you ar wrong. Not to mention the fact that Chicago's weather is so humid during the summer that you can't even use shade as an escape. Oh, and yes, the whole mass of mosquitos that invade the entire Fox Valley during the summer is just perfection. Nothing makes me want to go out and take a stroll more than all of those chemical trucks that pump "mosquito killer" into the air. Ever heard of the West Nile Virus. Sorry, but I would rather wear a light coat for a few days in San Fran, than face the long misery that is Chicago's summer/winter weather.

Last edited by desert student; 02-14-2008 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-14-2008, 11:47 AM

20,005 posts, read 67,960,131 times
Drover, you got that fly-swatter handy?

Old 02-14-2008, 02:26 PM

11,972 posts, read 26,853,926 times
Man, is that "desert student" a troll! Maybe I should go hang out on the Phoenix board and bash that terrible non-city constantly. What a great way to spend time.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:52 PM

20,005 posts, read 67,960,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Man, is that "desert student" a troll! Maybe I should go hang out on the Phoenix board and bash that terrible non-city constantly. What a great way to spend time.
Go for it! Everyone else does.

Back on track here... Chicago and San Fran are equally great cities, you cant go wrong with either one, actually.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:37 PM

3,567 posts, read 7,515,438 times
A lot of people have this idea that San Francisco is a more polished, elegant city of cosmopolitan computer-programmers-by-day-entrepreneurs-by-night types.

The truth is, San Francisco has its own crazy freaks: anti-development people, a surplus of irritating soccer moms who screech about the environment (and development) at meetings they drove their SUVs and vans to, crazy hippies that hate development (although in their case, maybe just because what with the mountains and the ocean, more development means less room for the herb), and lots and lots of homeless people that accost you everywhere. Because of its mild temperature, San Francisco suffers more crazy people than Chicago does. And I don't mean "Oh isn't that adding to the crazy character of this city, how adorable!" crazy... I mean, like, flinging feces at you in the midst of a bad acid trip. Or finding that you've gone too far into Chinatown and the Triad and/or other innumerable gangs aren't pleased.

Don't mistake me-- this was meant to point out only that San Francisco is just as plagued by decidedly non-cosmopolitan elements as Chicago. What San Fran truly has that Chicago doesn't is exclusivity. Chicago will never have such a degree of global demand to live there that every condo/apartment to hit the market is immediately snatched up by foreign investors. It's just not a hip place to be, and the winters have a terrible affect on the value of the city in foreign eyes. Whereas San Fran has that misty, gorgeous and mysterious evergreen scene going on. It also is built on a fault line tilted towards the ocean.

There's always a balancing factor. Me, personally? I'm into the political scene. I much prefer the backhanded, behind-the-scenes politicking of Chicago, instead of the city where the big question is "Does our mayor use hair gel?"

Old 02-14-2008, 07:49 PM

15,587 posts, read 22,390,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
San Fran is more beautiful than Chicago and has more density and much better weather year round but Chicago gives you everything you want and need in a big city. It has way more soul. I don't want to offend anyone but SF seems fake at times.
Chicago is getting more fake every month.:-(

Old 02-14-2008, 10:52 PM

38 posts, read 209,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Sorry chap, San Fran's summers are rather chilly. Alot of people, myself included, prefer a warm summer. I was in San Fran back in July of 2001 and had to buy a light jacket to wear the 3 days I was there. The rest of the year San Fran experiences mild temps, far milder than Chicago's no doubt. I just dont like their summers all that much.

Sorry, Drover.
I understand that you perform a warm summer, but I believe you were disagreeing with someone over which city had better overall weather, as in year-round. The answer is San Francisco. The last two weeks have been 65 and sunny. Enough said....There are also many people, myself included, who prefer summer high's in the 70s as opposed to low 90's with high humidity.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:33 AM

38,691 posts, read 86,811,612 times
The next person to talk about weather in this thread should be banished to live on East St. Louis or Ganymede, whichever is less desolate and inhospitable on any given day.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:45 AM

128 posts, read 113,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter85 View Post
I understand that you perform a warm summer, but I believe you were disagreeing with someone over which city had better overall weather, as in year-round. The answer is San Francisco. The last two weeks have been 65 and sunny. Enough said....There are also many people, myself included, who prefer summer high's in the 70s as opposed to low 90's with high humidity.
Are you crazy skeeter85?!

How dare you imply that almost year yound perfect weather would be better than 90's with high humidy!!!! I declare!! I mean, what is this world coming down too these days??!! j/k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or