U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-18-2007, 06:40 PM
 
325 posts, read 1,309,934 times
Reputation: 99

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beone View Post
I disagree about Chicago being more "urban" than San Francisco, and a handful of other cities. It is still a big midwestern town. There are definitely urban parts, but the whole of San Francisco is urban, as is much of the bay area.

I also don't think of bigger in terms of overall population size or geopraphic size. I think it bigger in terms of what a city has to offer and the overall feel of the city (among other things). No doubt Chicago has a lot to offer and is a huge city, but it still doesn't feel as big to me as San Francisco. Bigger in terms of how you are all defining it, but not bigger in terms of how I define it. Bigger doesn't always refer to sheer size. Here are some other meanings of bigger:

+Outstanding for a specified quality
+Conspicuous in position, wealth, or importance; prominent
+Bountiful
+Of great significance; momentous
+Important, as in influence, standing, or wealth

By those definitions, IMO, Seattle, Boston and San Francisco are bigger cities than Chicago. You may disagree and you are entitled to it, but things mean different things to different people.

Los Angeles is interesting because you have a lot of weathly areas, with big houses on big lots, but I still get a sense of it being very urban in a lot of places...even Beverly Hills (south of Sunset) feels pretty urban. I wouldn't argue LA feels less urban than Chicago. I like Chicago a lot better, but again - bigger size and population do not mean bigger in the sense of more to offer, more important, more influencial, etc...

San Francisco is not urban because it's on a peninsula...it is urban because of the number of people living in such a small space, and 46.7 square miles is a small place.
OK, if you feel that Beverly Hills is urban, I need to hear your definition of urban.

 
Old 09-18-2007, 06:49 PM
 
374 posts, read 1,721,001 times
Reputation: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw68 View Post
OK, if you feel that Beverly Hills is urban, I need to hear your definition of urban.
Have you been to Beverly Hills? I said below Sunset Boulevard is quite urban, and it is.
 
Old 09-18-2007, 06:51 PM
 
374 posts, read 1,721,001 times
Reputation: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
And if you had actually spent any time in Chicago outside of areas preferred by tourists, you would have experienced plenty of that here as well. Next time you come through, go to my old neighborhood of Albany Park (considered one of the most diverse neighborhoods in the nation) and then talk to me again about midwestern homogeneity.
Again, being that I visited, with friends living there, many many times, I have experienced a lot of Chicago....and what tourist areas are you referring to? The "so-called" Maginifcant Mile? Downtown? Nope....while I go down there every time I visit, I spend a majority of time in the neighborhoods my friends live.

Chicago is a BIG midwestern town...Period! That's my opinion and it won't change.
 
Old 09-18-2007, 06:52 PM
 
374 posts, read 1,721,001 times
Reputation: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Seattle is a beautiful city in my respects and I've been there a couple of times, but to say that Seattle is more culturally diverse than Chicago shows a lack of understanding of simple demographics.
Again, your opinion vs. mine. You think yours is right, it doesn't mean it is.... I think mine is right, it doesn't mean it is.
 
Old 09-18-2007, 06:56 PM
j33
 
4,625 posts, read 12,648,437 times
Reputation: 1650
Actually, unless you are going to re-define 'diverse' to fit your tastes, then it is a simple fact that more ethnic groups are represented in Chicago than Seattle (and of course more ethic groups represented in nyc than either of those two cities), any demographer knows this. However, since you've seemed to redefine everything else to fit your myopic view of the world , I suppose you have your own definition of that term as well.
 
Old 09-19-2007, 01:07 AM
 
1,119 posts, read 2,413,918 times
Reputation: 382
While I like SF a lot I think its way too small to compare with NY, Chicago, LA.

Chicago is Second Most Global City in U.S.: Brookings

Campaign for Sensible Growth (http://www.growingsensibly.org/news/releaseDetail.asp?objectID=1830 - broken link)


Quote:
Originally Posted by beone View Post
Again, being that I visited, with friends living there, many many times, I have experienced a lot of Chicago....and what tourist areas are you referring to? The "so-called" Maginifcant Mile? Downtown? Nope....while I go down there every time I visit, I spend a majority of time in the neighborhoods my friends live.

Chicago is a BIG midwestern town...Period! That's my opinion and it won't change.
 
Old 09-19-2007, 07:55 AM
 
2,227 posts, read 5,703,698 times
Reputation: 1563
Chicago Declared North American ''City of the Future'' for Its Economic, Business and Financial Strength

Monday April 23, 9:05 am ET
Financial Times' fDi Magazine Awards Chicago the Top Honor

Moderator cut: do not repost copyrighted material

Last edited by Yac; 12-12-2007 at 01:27 AM..
 
Old 09-19-2007, 12:01 PM
 
325 posts, read 1,309,934 times
Reputation: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by beone View Post
Have you been to Beverly Hills? I said below Sunset Boulevard is quite urban, and it is.
Yes, I have (I live in CA). I still don't think LA, or any part of it, is "urban." To me, urban is gritty with lots of people and the ability to live without a car because everything is either right by you, or the public transportation system is well developed because of need.
 
Old 09-19-2007, 01:04 PM
 
374 posts, read 1,721,001 times
Reputation: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw68 View Post
Yes, I have (I live in CA). I still don't think LA, or any part of it, is "urban." To me, urban is gritty with lots of people and the ability to live without a car because everything is either right by you, or the public transportation system is well developed because of need.
Good points. However, LA is different in the respect that people seem to love their cars there. I would still definitely argue that parts of LA (including lower Beverly Hills) are urban.

Urban isn't necessarily gritty. To me, urban is a high density of buildings and people. LA definitely has both. No, LA doesn't feel as urban to me as NYC or SF, or even Boston, but it doesn't feel any less urban than Chicago.
 
Old 09-19-2007, 01:07 PM
 
374 posts, read 1,721,001 times
Reputation: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
Chicago Declared North American ''City of the Future'' for Its Economic, Business and Financial Strength

Monday April 23, 9:05 am ET
Financial Times' fDi Magazine Awards Chicago the Top Honor

Moderator cut: do not repost copyrighted material
That's all fine and dandy, but not everyone basis their love or value of a city based on any of those criterias. Quality of Life - absolutely...but quality of life is different from person to person.

Last edited by Yac; 12-12-2007 at 01:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top