U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-15-2007, 04:27 PM
 
313 posts, read 609,984 times
Reputation: 96

Advertisements

People wise how do they differ?

 
Old 09-15-2007, 07:00 PM
 
Location: Chicago
38,691 posts, read 86,783,990 times
Reputation: 29355
Less patience for nutbaggery in Chicago.
 
Old 09-15-2007, 07:06 PM
 
1,408 posts, read 4,372,096 times
Reputation: 469
Chicago is a city where people live and work; they go elsewhere to play.

San Francisco is a city where people come to play; they live and work elsewhere.

That, and of course the standard Midwestern conservatism vs. West Coast fruitiness!
 
Old 09-16-2007, 01:39 PM
 
2,222 posts, read 5,694,091 times
Reputation: 1559
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancasterNative View Post
Chicago is a city where people live and work; they go elsewhere to play.

San Francisco is a city where people come to play; they live and work elsewhere.

That, and of course the standard Midwestern conservatism vs. West Coast fruitiness!
i really dont think any of that is true at all. chicago is an exceedingly democratic city, even if the rest of illinois isnt. if anything, chicago is more moderate, but definitely not conservative. also, chicago is a top 3 tourist destination in the country, so im not sure how well that bodes for saying people dont come here to play.
 
Old 09-16-2007, 03:44 PM
 
1,408 posts, read 4,372,096 times
Reputation: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
i really dont think any of that is true at all. chicago is an exceedingly democratic city, even if the rest of illinois isnt. if anything, chicago is more moderate, but definitely not conservative. also, chicago is a top 3 tourist destination in the country, so im not sure how well that bodes for saying people dont come here to play.
Hey, good points on whether Chicago is conservative/moderate/Democratic.

I was mainly going for the strict apples-to-apples comparison between the two cities in inquiry...and next to San Francisco, almost any city would appear conservative.

To an arch-conservative like me, Chicago is a seething cauldron of liberalism

Nonetheless...a lot of Chicago's Dem voters are actually middle- or working-class folks with strong ethnic ties, who are pretty conservative on "values" issues. That's what I meant by the "Midwestern" reference.

For a specific example...I don't think Chicagoans will ever be as enthusiastically receptive to weird/bizarre sexual experimentation in their neighborhood as San Franciscans are. Know what I mean?
 
Old 09-16-2007, 09:59 PM
 
10 posts, read 67,319 times
Reputation: 14
^^^ WOW!

Um, out of touch with reality, just a little? And please, could you try to use even more stereotypes in your posts.

*DISCLAIMER* LancasterNative is not from Chicago, or even Illinois for that matter. LOL
 
Old 09-16-2007, 10:04 PM
 
10 posts, read 67,319 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-iron View Post
People wise how do they differ?
People in Chicago will be faster-paced, gruffer, more to the point, and more assertive; yet they will still have friendliness, honesty, and realism to them.
 
Old 09-17-2007, 07:53 AM
 
1,408 posts, read 4,372,096 times
Reputation: 469
Well...if you'll notice, I did state "To an arch-conservative like me..." so everyone knows exactly where I'm coming from...

"Out of touch with reality" depends entirely on where you are, and on your worldview. Not everyone should have to think the same, right? Celebrate diversity...
 
Old 09-17-2007, 12:50 PM
 
3,567 posts, read 7,513,390 times
Reputation: 2854
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancasterNative View Post
Hey, good points on whether Chicago is conservative/moderate/Democratic.

I was mainly going for the strict apples-to-apples comparison between the two cities in inquiry...and next to San Francisco, almost any city would appear conservative.
There is no apples-to-apples comparison here. Chicago is a city. San Francisco is a boutique city, much like Disneyworld-- lots of buildings and people who do not actually want a city. They're vastly, radically different from one another.

Quote:
To an arch-conservative like me, Chicago is a seething cauldron of liberalism
The only thing Chicago politicians care about is money. We're very upfront about that here.

Quote:
Nonetheless...a lot of Chicago's Dem voters are actually middle- or working-class folks with strong ethnic ties, who are pretty conservative on "values" issues. That's what I meant by the "Midwestern" reference.
We don't have many working-class folks these days. That ended in the 60's. We ceded our title of manufacturing strongarm to Los Angeles. We also employ more high-tech workers than San Francisco, for an interesting comparison

Quote:
For a specific example...I don't think Chicagoans will ever be as enthusiastically receptive to weird/bizarre sexual experimentation in their neighborhood as San Franciscans are. Know what I mean?
The thing to remember here is that Chicagoans are midwesterners. That means that we shut our mouths and keep these things to ourselves. Talking about them in public is rude, it's not shocking. This is a point most people on the coasts no longer understand. I don't care what your sexual orientation is and I don't want to hear about your latest BSDM session, there's a time and a place to discuss those things and it is not in the subway. Add to this our cold climate, and everything is indoors anyway-- nothing here is out in the open, either in cultural expression or social activity. You'll have to *gasp* learn how to be subtle
 
Old 09-17-2007, 12:59 PM
 
202 posts, read 184,690 times
Reputation: 27
Agreed...people are more reserved about discussing sexual proclivities in the midwest, it's not viewed as polite, and people keep private info private. Repressed, perhaps, but definitely more private. The midwest is simply more understated than the coasts, overall. In Dar Williams' song "Iowa," she says, "And I've never found a way to say I love you, but if the chance came by, oh I, I would/
But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother/
We dont like to make our passions other peoples concern/
And we walk in the world of safe people, and at night we walk into our houses and burn."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top