U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 03:16 AM

897 posts, read 354,194 times

Advertisements

If this was a skyline competition LA would be last IMO, but when it comes to street level activity I really don't think the other 2 can compare, though I would like to know of Houston and Atlanta which one comes out ahead on vibrancy downtown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 09:22 AM

13,463 posts, read 14,945,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
If this was a skyline competition LA would be last IMO, but when it comes to street level activity I really don't think the other 2 can compare, though I would like to know of Houston and Atlanta which one comes out ahead on vibrancy downtown?
Atlanta comes out ahead in vibrancy over Houston.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:33 AM

5,023 posts, read 5,857,784 times
Downtown LA definitely has more vintage buildings common to older cities than the big southern three (DAL, ATL, and HOU), which makes sense as LA started its growth spurt earlier than the other three (LA was 100,000 in 1900, the other three were around 40,000 in 1900. However apart from that, I find it a bit to be like splitting hairs.

LA is more of a global city for what is beyond central LA/downtown, which of course the others don't have.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:55 AM

9,057 posts, read 5,865,636 times
Downtown Los Angeles is probably the most up-and-coming of the sunbelt cities... That may be more of a testament to just how low it sank though.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:02 AM

3,328 posts, read 5,042,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Wow, seriously? LOL...the Sunbelt pretty much refers to the Southern 1/3 of the country, roughly speaking.
I was being quite serious.

Just because some map says it's the sunbelt, doesn't make it very convincing.
There are places south of that line that get less sunshine than places north of it. If anything, whatever sunbelt line we want to come up with should be more of a east-west division.
Call it the heat belt, pass-out-while-exercising belt, the sweat-your-gord-out belt or whatever, but the word sunbelt should be reserved for places primarily out west. That's just my opinion.
I'm also suspicious of the term Bible Belt. It may be a different brand of religion, but not necessarily more of it.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:07 AM

11,113 posts, read 6,974,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
I was being quite serious.

Just because some map says it's the sunbelt, doesn't make it very convincing.

There are places south of that line that get less sunshine than places north of it. If anything, whatever sunbelt line we want to come up with should be more of a east-west division.
Call it the heat belt, pass-out-while-exercising belt, the sweat-your-gord-out belt or whatever, but the word sunbelt should be reserved for places primarily out west. That's just my opinion.
Oh okay.

Well just so you know for future reference, the map I posted is what's generally considered the Sunbelt. Don't argue with me, I didn't come up with the name. I just found it quite surprising that someone didn't know that the South was included in the Sunbelt (hence the "belt" part of the name). Semantics aside, the major metros within the belt have very similar patterns of development and are based on similar industries which is really what binds them together.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:20 AM

3,328 posts, read 5,042,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Oh okay.

Well just so you know for future reference, the map I posted is what's generally considered the Sunbelt. Don't argue with me, I didn't come up with the name. I just found it quite surprising that someone didn't know that the South was included in the Sunbelt (hence the "belt" part of the name). Semantics aside, the major metros within the belt have very similar patterns of development and are based on similar industries which is really what binds them together.
Yeah, I wasn't' trying to argue with you specifically. I knew that southern cities got lumped in with sunbelt cities at some point, I just don't always know how the name stuck. It would make more sense to me to call Phoenix and Los Angeles "southern" cities instead of Atlanta sunbelt. Maybe it's because the term 'southern' has a stigma to it while 'sunbelt' is generally viewed as positive.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:44 AM

11,113 posts, read 6,974,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Yeah, I wasn't' trying to argue with you specifically. I knew that southern cities got lumped in with sunbelt cities at some point, I just don't always know how the name stuck. It would make more sense to me to call Phoenix and Los Angeles "southern" cities instead of Atlanta sunbelt. Maybe it's because the term 'southern' has a stigma to it while 'sunbelt' is generally viewed as positive.
Not "stigma," but history. The regional designations of north and south were firmly in place by the time California and the Southwestern states were even founded and certainly by the time the major metros in the southern half of the country started hitting their stride and needed a useful categorical shorthand term. I think "sunbelt" is more or less an appropriate designation especially since it's more indicative of climate/weather.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:54 PM

681 posts, read 753,161 times
DT Houston is underrated IMO. Lots of free events that go on there. That's also the best place in Houston to go if want to meet chicks and for nightlife, lots of clubs and bars. You also have the House of Blues, The Warehouse Live, The Under Ground Tunnel System, etc. and some real good restaurants too. 3 of Houston sports venues are located in DT Houston as well Discovery Green that can get pretty packed at times.

DT Atlanta has a good night life...has alot of trees though. LA's DT is the best out the three. In my order it will be:

1. DT Los Angles
2. DT Houston
3. DT Atlanta

Last edited by llmrkc07; 04-20-2012 at 09:06 PM..

Old 04-20-2012, 10:22 PM

1,243 posts, read 621,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
I disagree. LA's skyline is underrated and often bashed to no end. But really it's quite large and it spills out into Koreatown and Hollywood, down Wilshire Blvd into Century City. Most people only seem to look at Downtown and not anywhere else. Granted it's no Manhattan or Chicago but I think it compares well with all other cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City