U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2012, 03:54 PM

10,901 posts, read 19,918,670 times

Advertisements

Hope this has not been done.

Similar idea, but two culturally different places. If you have been to both, which do you prefer?

I like them both because they really are quite different. Atlanta seems more like a destination while Toronto's is more a nessesity (to avoid weather).
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 10:28 AM

904 posts, read 1,661,279 times
I'm going to go ahead and say Toronto's! Seems pretty cool from what I know/heard.

This is going to sound really sad on my part, but I didn't even know Atlanta had an underground section.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:32 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,686,417 times
Apples and Oranges. Underground Atlanta is just a modest shopping mall. Toronto would be better compared to Montreal or even Houston

Old 04-20-2012, 11:19 AM

25 posts, read 31,869 times
I live in Atlanta and Underground ATL is a dump. Cool idea, but it does not have any decent stores or restaurants. Lots of panhandlers and loiterers make it sketchy.

It will probably make a comeback in ten years as in town Atlanta grows and thrives.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:10 PM

3,477 posts, read 4,126,350 times
Neither of them are really an "attraction" in my eyes. The only reason I liked Toronto's is when I worked in the Financial District I could avoid the winter by walking underground to my TTC station to head home.

Otherwise there really isnt anything good to eat or see in either.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:16 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,058,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
Apples and Oranges. Underground Atlanta is just a modest shopping mall. Toronto would be better compared to Montreal or even Houston
Exactly. I've been to both cities. This really isn't a fair comparison. Underground Atlanta is just a shopping/entertainment center. Underground Toronto is a walkway system covering several blocks like you see in the above ground walkway systems in cities like Minneapolis and even here in Charlotte. A better comparison would indeed be Underground Houston. Can't speak about Montreal, but it sounds similar.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:42 PM

5,886 posts, read 9,087,071 times
I have wonderful memories of Underground Atlanta in the early 1970s. Bars, dance clubs, restaurants, only a couple of souvenier shops. Some of the spaces were amazing - I remember a dance club on 3 levels and you'd exit to another part of the underground from the one you came in. It was enough of a destination we would charter a bus from UT to go down for the evening. Then I guess it got seedy. I visited again during the Olympics when it had been "revived" and it was ho-hum - more like a shopping mall.

I don't know underground Toronto but I've been to underground Montreal which is a very functional place with none of the magic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or