Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 11:54 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
That video, while eye-opening, actually came under fire for selectively editing out the numerous white cat-callers. The video's director had a ridiculous number of excuses for their exclusion ("noise pollution, passing comments, people walking in front of the camera"). So while I do think people of color engage in the activity more (for a variety of socio-economic reasons), white guys aren't some small minority of cases, either.

'100 catcalls' video: Director Rob Bliss admits 'editing out white people' | Metro News

And I'm not sure I'm following your argument--your two paragraphs seem to be contradicting each other. Your first postulates that NYC's density makes it harder for people to "get away" with catcalling, as opposed to less-dense, car-oriented cities. But then your second states that the anonymity of that density allows this to happen. Which is it? I agree with your second paragraph in that NYC has so many people that the individual is lessened--I just want to make sure I understand the reasoning for your first, which seems to be contradicting the paragraph I agree with.
Read it again. I said I was puzzled by the two things being true at once. They don't contradict each other. Then I clearly explained one possible reason why I think that might be the case. What are you confused about?

I don't know about the truth or falsehood of editing out white people in the video, however, in my personal experience, walking many places with my girlfriend, I can't think of any time a white guy has cat called her. That is just how it's gone. You'd be amiss to read anything into that, I'm simply stating a fact. Trust me, if a white guy catcalled my girlfriend, that event would stick out to me and I'd remember it. It simply hasn't happened. This is in Boston. Others might have different experiences, but I cannot relate to them at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 02:21 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Read it again. I said I was puzzled by the two things being true at once. They don't contradict each other. Then I clearly explained one possible reason why I think that might be the case. What are you confused about?

I don't know about the truth or falsehood of editing out white people in the video, however, in my personal experience, walking many places with my girlfriend, I can't think of any time a white guy has cat called her. That is just how it's gone. You'd be amiss to read anything into that, I'm simply stating a fact. Trust me, if a white guy catcalled my girlfriend, that event would stick out to me and I'd remember it. It simply hasn't happened. This is in Boston. Others might have different experiences, but I cannot relate to them at all.
It's because you were with her, that's why. As a young Millennial woman I get catcalled a lot when I am walking around here in Tucson. Doesn't matter what I am doing or what I look like. But once I'm with one of my guy friends, my dad, my brother... It all stops. Proof that guys respect other guys more than the girls themselves in this situation. They assume I am "with" them, and my dad is a bodybuilder so that has an intimidation factor, and they respect that more than harassing me.

Ask her how many times she has people cat calling her when she's by herself or with a group of girl friends. I think you'd be surprised.

One poster mentioned how when he was with his wife guys still cat called her in Harlem and that probably had to do more with the fact they were a group of guys (not worried about what the poster might do) or they could tell by looking at the poster he wouldn't do anything to them...

Old 03-09-2016, 03:43 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,087,591 times
I've only been catcalled a few times, once in Seattle and Manchester, and a few times each in New York and San Francisco. Most other cities I've spent a lot of time in I imagine don't have a large enough pedestrian culture (does that make sense?) for cat calling to be as much of a problem, particularly catcalling towards males. I usually don't mind catcalls. It is degrading towards the men and women doing it, and I actually feel empowered in a way, like I am better than them for not snooping to the same level.

I have been told I "catcall" because I used to be vocal towards people (both sexes) whenever I liked their clothes or thought they were beautiful (not in a sexual way, especially not towards females, since I am not attracted to them). That's a habit I picked up from my mother, who grew up in Seoul.

Also, despite what one poster said, Catcalling seems uncommon in Korea (I've been in Seoul many times and spent, in total, likely up to a years worth of time there), even according to my mother (who is often described as very attractive and used to go to Seoul by herself all the time). I even tried looking it up and the few examples I could find was it being done by a small number of foreigners. What is common, however, is people scanning each other (since physical appearance is very important there), but that is mostly everyone doing to everyone else (even between family), and not just men doing to women.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:39 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,693,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd9124 View Post
If a guy isn't being disrespectful or weird I never got why women hated this so much.
Of course you don't because you're a man. You don't realize how creepy it is

Old 03-10-2016, 09:31 AM

14,010 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I get what you mean. However, for the same reason denser cities tend to be safer overall, I'd think that works against catcalling. For example, a very dense city makes it harder to get away with crime given how many witnesses there are to everything. You'd think the same thing would be true for catcalling, as it's not really a socially sanctioned thing to do, except maybe in some of the less educated neighborhoods (not convinced of that though).

Maybe the anonymity of New York makes it easy to get away with. Catcalling, while very rude, is not quite the same thing as mugging someone. It might rub people the wrong way who hear it, but they probably won't do anything about it and just carry on.

I also really don't think men of all backgrounds engage in this behavior. Let's be honest about who it usually is. Watch that NYC catcall video again. From the looks of it, it seems to be the homeless, and non-whites at that.

I rarely see or hear catcalling in Boston.
You don't hear catcalling in Boston because people don't say anything on the street at all.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:43 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
You don't hear catcalling in Boston because people don't say anything on the street at all.
That's true. It would be very strange for someone to say anything unsolicited in public that didn't have to be said in a given day. But hey, no catcalling is still a positive.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:24 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
I have never seen that happen. IMO it's sexual harassment.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:42 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,087,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Of course you don't because you're a man. You don't realize how creepy it is
Implying men cannot find cat calling disrespectful. In a thread in which multiple men have called cat calling disrespectful or harassment.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:44 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
I have to ask the men who don't see anything wrong with cat calling, "What's the point?" Do you think your target will come to you and fall into your arms? Doubtful unless maybe she's a hooker and wants to charge you for her attention.

Do you want to show her how "manly" you are? Chances are, she will think you are a little twerp no matter what your size because you have to resort to a rude display of yourself in order to get a woman's attention.

Do you want to show off in front of your friends in order to impress her? All that will accomplish is her thinking all of you are jerks.

Do you want to impress her with your "clever remarks?" Fat chance.

Do you think you are flattering her? Unlikely someone will really be flattered by being singled out and yelled at on the street.

Do you want to embarrass her and make her feel uncomfortable? THAT you can do.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:49 PM

400 posts, read 422,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
lol....

What's wrong with catcalling? Most guys don't do it expecting a number or some magic. They just want to be playful and the women like it too, they sometimes won't admit it though
Totally with you on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City