U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you prefer ? Dallas or San Diego ?
Dallas 92 34.85%
San Diego 168 63.64%
It's a Tie! 4 1.52%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 05:31 PM

241 posts, read 95,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
Which city would you prefer in the following categories, and overall?

Things to do:
Shopping:
Scenery:
Economy:
Schools:
Universities:
Climate (Yes I know Dallas weather sucks ):
Public Transit and airport:
Traffic:
Suburbs:
Better Location:
Cultural Scene:
Crime/Safety:
Better Vibe:

The one you choose:
Things to do: San Diego
Shopping: Tie
Scenery: San Diego
Economy: Dallas
Schools: not sure
Universities: probably San Diego, both are fairly weak here
Climate (Yes I know Dallas weather sucks ): San Diego
Public Transit and airport: Public transit - SD; Airport - Dallas
Traffic: SD
Suburbs: Dallas
Better Location: SD
Cultural Scene: SD
Crime/Safety: SD
Better Vibe: SD

The one you choose: SD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 06:14 AM

2,461 posts, read 1,200,617 times
San Diego and it's not even close. Anyone who voted for Dallas has either never been to San Diego or has shown a very deep bias for Texas.

Old 01-30-2018, 06:28 AM

18,207 posts, read 25,896,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
San Diego and it's not even close. Anyone who voted for Dallas has either never been to San Diego or has shown a very deep bias for Texas.
Or maybe, just maybe, they choose Dallas because they like Dallas better. Ever thought of that?

Old 01-30-2018, 08:54 AM

141 posts, read 143,536 times
Iíve lived in both and in my opinion, it will totally depend on where you are in your life and what your job is. My answers are bolded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
Which city would you prefer in the following categories, and overall?

Things to do:
Outdoor activities- San Diego
Sports- Dallas
Museums/Theaters- Dallas (higher quality with unique museums like Nasher, and the Crow Collection, but Dallas museums are spread out more. I do like how San Diegoís museums are concentrated in Balboa Park, but the Reuben Fleet science museum pales in comparison to Dallasí Perot museum, and Iíd have to give a slight nod to the DMA over the San Diego Museum of Art)

Shopping: Dallas (the best mall in San Diego is Fashion Valley with UTC being a close second; Dallas has Northpark and the Galleria, and Stonebriar Mall and Willowbend would be the equivalent of San Diegoís UTC, in addition to pockets of upscale shopping area such as Highland Park Village)

Economy: Dallas - more Fortune 500/1000 companies in DFW than San Diego, more economic growth in Dallas

Schools: overall Dallas wins if you donít look at DISD but Highland Park, Plano, Southlake, Flower Mound- they blow any of the ďgoodĒ school districts in San Diego like Poway out the water after you compare metrics like average SAT score and the number of National Merit Semifinalists; Texas elementary schools are mandated to a 1:22 Teacher to student ratio. Itís not unusual to hear of overcrowding and a Kindergartner in San Diego starting school with close to 30 classmates

Universities: Dallas- Dallas has SMU, University of Texas at Dallas, University of North Texas, TWU, in addition to Baylor nursing school and satellite campuses, plus you could include TCU if you factor the DFW area; San Diego has SDSU (party school) and USD

Climate (Yes I know Dallas weather sucks ): San Diego

Public Transit and airport: Dallas has two major airports but San Diego public transit is better

Traffic: Both could honestly tie here considering Iíve sat in my fair share of traffic on the 5 in SD, and the Tollway in Dallas

Suburbs: Dallas- from an affordability standpoint and amenities alone.....far north Dallas suburbs of Frisco, Plano and Richardson have well regarded schools and are affordable in comparison to the suburbs of San Diego (you donít have to spend $600K+ just to have a decent home and can spend half that amount and actually live in an area zoned to great schools); the more desirable suburbs in SD are north of the 8 but the housing costs are out of reach for families who may not be able to have a net 6 digit income, which tends to have people settling for moving further inland or away from the core to areas like Temecula or Eastlake which essentially means longer commute times

Better Location: totally subjective; Dallas is better if you want accessibility to both west and east coast, San Diego is better if you prefer the west coast and traveling to Hawaii/Asia

Cultural Scene: Dallas

Crime/Safety: in my experience, suburban Dallas is safer than suburban San Diego, but I lived in the Eastlake/Otay Ranch area of Chula Vista, which is a nice family friendly suburb. However, there was (and Iím sure there still is) a certain stigma that surrounded living south of the 8 and the close proximity of the area to the border. I rarely hear of petty crime in the Dallas suburb I currently live in, but reports of petty theft/vandalism/home invasions are not uncommon in that suburb of San Diego (I still keep in touch with my San Diego mom friends). I honestly wouldnít ever want to move back if given the opportunity. Now in other aspects of crime, there are areas of Dallas that are crime-ridden, but overall if you avoid those areas and look at the surrounding parts of Dallas, itís fairly safe. I canít speak on behalf of serious crime like murders and such as I havenít read up on crime stats in San Diego currently.

Better Vibe: Dallas

The one you choose: Dallas- where I am in my life with my family with children, I prioritize education, affordability, and safety over San Diego. Two of my babies were born in San Diego and we miss the trips to the Zoo/Wild Animal Park, driving up north to Disneyland and having Easter Egg hunts at the Del, but we will always go back to visit San Diego. On our income, it would not be sustainable for us to live there now. We paid less for our home in Dallas and doubled our square footage and got better schools.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:57 AM

5,371 posts, read 7,657,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
These are my two most recent trips, and I enjoyed both for different reasons. Dallas is a great city and offers a lot so I don't see why it's impossible for someone to prefer it over San Diego

Old 01-30-2018, 11:14 AM

1,517 posts, read 984,028 times
Things to do: No idea.
Shopping: Dallas.
Scenery: San Diego-it is so beautiful.
Economy: Dallas.
Schools: No idea? I imagine Dallas has more options, being larger and with independent school districts. Generally, both states have bad school systems overall.
Universities: San Diego
Climate (Yes I know Dallas weather sucks : Dallas. I actually don't like stagnant weather. If San Diego, which is still hot despite what Californians will tell you, had more thunderstorms, I would pick that.
Public Transit and airport: Should be two different categories. I prefer Dallas overall because its PT is acceptable and I love both airports, while I don't care for San Diego's airport one bit.
Traffic: San Diego, it has shorter commute times.
Suburbs: Never spent time in San Diego's suburbs. Though, now that I think of it, I doubt San Diego has any upscale counterparts to the Park Cities or even South Lake, if Fort Worth is included.
Better Location: Dallas. Not a fan of oceans.
Cultural Scene: Dallas.
Crime/Safety: Dallas or San Diego, whether you include Fort Worth or not with Dallas' stats. If we include natural disasters, San Diego is probably safer, but I would prefer Dallas only because I don't mind thunderstorms, tornadoes, or hail (seriously, that is considered a natural disaster) while I have an undeserving fear of all things ocean-tsunamis, sea level rises, earthquakes.
Better Vibe: Either. San Diego was surprisingly chill and laid-back unlike LA and the Bay Area, I really liked the vibe, but I also like the vibe I get in Dallas.

I prefer Dallas overall. Especially considering diversity and cost of living.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:21 PM

2,417 posts, read 1,035,970 times
Things to do: Dallas
Shopping: Dallas
Economy: Dallas
Schools: San Diego
Universities: Dallas
Climate (Yes I know Dallas weather sucks ): San Diego, but Dallas' isn't that bad, lol.
Public Transit and airport: Dallas
Traffic: Not sure
Suburbs: Tie
Better Location: Dallas, IMO
Cultural Scene: San Diego
Crime/Safety: San Diego
Better Vibe: Very subjective. A tie. They both have a nice feel about them in different ways.

The one you choose: Dallas. San Diego is just to darn expensive. Both are nice, though.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:45 PM

519 posts, read 185,317 times
Things to do: San Diego for outdoor recreation, Dallas for Sports, Museums, & Theater.
Shopping: Dallas
Scenery: San Diego. Waterfront with mountains outside city limits whereas Dallas is more flat, plain, and inland
Economy: Dallas. One of the strongest economies in the Sun Belt area. More Fortune 500 companies as well.
Schools: Dallas
Universities: San Diego
Climate (Yes I know Dallas weather sucks ): San Diego. One of my favorite climates in the US.
Public Transit and airport: Transit- San Diego, Airport- Dallas
Traffic: San Diego
Suburbs: Dallas
Better Location: San Diego. 2hrs from LA, better scenery, not too far from Mexico.
Cultural Scene: Dallas
Crime/Safety: San Diego
Better Vibe: Draw. Subjective

The one you choose: I prefer San Diego but I would choose Dallas as a place to live because of its stronger economy and lower cost of living. But for visiting or if I had a well paying job than San Diego.

Old 01-30-2018, 02:52 PM

29 posts, read 15,168 times
America's finest city in a landslide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qStAUJkBv0

Old 01-30-2018, 11:01 PM

2,459 posts, read 1,041,031 times
Regarding the weather and scenery argument, the issue much of Texas has is the lack of geographic barriers. This means that air masses of all kinds are free to influence the land, creating a "master of none" setting, wherein benefits of one feature get cancelled out by another. For example, Dallas can get plentiful humid air masses with rain, but all the dryness it can get stunts the vegetation, and prevents it from looking lush like places farther East.

Southern Texas (east of the Balcones Escarpment) is where Gulf maritime air masses start becoming more dominant. And this allows the landscape and weather to be better. So while I will take SD weather over that of Dallas .... I will take Houston, Corpus, and South Padre weather over that of SD's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or