Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: East vs. West
East 57 35.19%
West 87 53.70%
Neither 18 11.11%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 01:39 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,677,747 times

Advertisements

The east coast hands down
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 01:40 PM

637 posts, read 1,011,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
No, New York is diverse(although not more so than the Bay Area), but the rest of the Northeast is dreadfully UNdiverse. Philadelphia and Boston are two of the Whitest CSAs in the country.

lol

I love your enthusiasm tho.
LOL Bay Area more diverse than New York.

Hold on...bawahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahah

In what universe? And you call ME delusional when I'm the one who's been posting all the statistics.

LOL! The Bay Area isn't even the most diverse place on the West Coast.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:42 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,218,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Asians have never been discriminated against, and are basically White? themoreyouknow I guess.
Yup, the classic troll tactic of trying to make CA seem less diverse, by claiming that asians are white.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:49 PM

36,644 posts, read 67,325,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
LOL Bay Area more diverse than New York.
Without a doubt.

We know the Bay Area has a higher proportion of foreign language speakers than NY, we know that the Bay Area has a higher proportion of foreign born residents than NY, we know that the Bay Area has greater racial diversity than NY and we know that the Bay Area's diversity is also more spread out throughout the entire region than NY. We also know that the Bay Area has a higher proportion of multiracial persons, households and that minorities on average make more money in the Bay Area than in any other large metropolitan region in the United States.

That is all substantiated by the US Census Bureau.

This is why I thumb my nose at any suggestion that the Northeast is even comparable to California because if the Bay Area already beats New York in many key categories, the rest of you are just toast.

Dry, burnt, blackened toast.

*coughs*

Old 04-24-2012, 02:02 PM

And you want to brag about where minorities live relative to Whites? What a laugh.

Sorry, where I live Whites are a minority as well.

EEK.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:19 PM

No, lets ignore these real world facts.

Anyways, here are more stats from the American Community Survey:

New York City foreign born: 2,971,143
SF Bay Area foreign born: 2,157,174

New York City speakers of another language: 3,649,607
SF Bay Area speakers of another language: 2,762,056

So nearly 1 million less speakers of another language, and 800,000 less foreign born. And unlike the Bay Area, New Yorkers have NO NEED to add the rest of their metro area. They already wipe you out using the city limits alone.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
No, lets ignore these real world facts.
No, I only deal in reality and the information below is FACT.

We know the Bay Area has a higher proportion of foreign language speakers than NY, we know that the Bay Area has a higher proportion of foreign born residents than NY, we know that the Bay Area has greater racial diversity than NY and we know that the Bay Area's diversity is also more spread out throughout the entire region than NY. We also know that the Bay Area has a higher proportion of multiracial persons, households and that minorities on average make more money in the Bay Area than in any other large metropolitan region in the United States.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
No, I only deal in reality and the information below is FACT.

Source: American FactFinder - Results

Please admit or deny that New York City has a higher population than the SF Bay Area?
Please admit or deny that New York City has a higher proportion of foreign language speakers than SF Bay Area? (48.3 v. 40.3)
Please admit or deny that New York City has a higher proportion of foreign born residents than SF Bay Area? (36.8 v 29.8)
Please admit or deny that Queens, at a whopping 2.2 million people has a more diverse array of people and more integration than any 109 square mile area in the SF Bay Area?
Please admit or deny that proportion doesn't matter in the face of overwhelming numbers?

Seriously. You are DEEP in the minority in thinking the Bay Area is more diverse than NYC. Show me the numbers and give me a formula to prove that the Bay Area is more diverse than NYC. Please. Anything.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:58 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,444,121 times
Quote:
Source: American FactFinder - Results

Please admit or deny that New York City has a higher population than the SF Bay Area?
Please admit or deny that New York City has a higher proportion of foreign language speakers than SF Bay Area? (48.3 v. 40.3)
Please admit or deny that New York City has a higher proportion of foreign born residents than SF Bay Area? (36.8 v 29.8)
Please admit or deny that Queens, at a whopping 2.2 million people has a more diverse array of people and more integration than any 109 square mile area in the SF Bay Area?
Please admit or deny that proportion doesn't matter in the face of overwhelming numbers?

Seriously. You are DEEP in the minority in thinking the Bay Area is more diverse than NYC. Show me the numbers and give me a formula to prove that the Bay Area is more diverse than NYC. Please. Anything.
I don't think he was talking about the 5 boroughs though, I think he meant NY Metro. In an earlier post he clearly said "Unless it's Queens or Brooklyn" implying that the city is diverse. But as an entire metro. . . .

Old 04-24-2012, 02:59 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,838,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Asian have been oppressed just like blacks in America , crack a history book will you,,,.
why do think that asian built asian communities throughout the United States.Asian were
falsely imprisoned during WW2 and Asian in the Bay Area still are treated like Minorities.
Only a racist would claim otherwise.

My mother is an Asian immigrant. She certainly doesn't fit the profile of an educated Asian. I've seen her badly treated, pigeon-holed, disrespected, sneered at, put down by people. After living everywhere in the US, she will only consider living in the West Coast because that's where she's most comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City