Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: As a Software engineer, which city do you want to live with your family?
SF-bay area 14 29.79%
NYC 3 6.38%
Los angeles 2 4.26%
Houston 5 10.64%
Dallas 4 8.51%
Atlanta 3 6.38%
Others 16 34.04%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 11:10 AM

103 posts, read 270,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Seattle doesn't have a long and cold winter. It has a long and wet one LOL.

Take a look at the average temps of Seattle in the winter. Around 37-40 at night and 42-45 during the day, and drizzle. For about 5 months. And contrary to opinion it doesn't really rain, it drizzles.

Today we had 73, sunny and not a cloud in the sky. That is the summer we have here.

I like to think of the winters as penance / payment for the summers we have here. I wouldn't trade the weather here for anything else. The rain allows us to have beautiful forests and the moisture allows us to have very awesome skiing resorts within an hour drive of the city core.

Don't discount Seattle unless you've visited. If you have well ... good luck
I have been in Northeast for 8 years, really don't want to go to Northwest. Thanks, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 08:36 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,126,430 times
I think Phoenix and Austin should be on the list. So I choose other.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
No, that was someone in the SF forum who asked us about places to live because despite his $170,000 income, he couldnt find anywhere decent in the South Bay.
oh, ok.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:43 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Austin and its environs is a pretty good spot.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:23 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,228,788 times
Yes! I have tons friends who programmers or are in related fields and I can throw some weight behind Austin, Raleigh, Seattle also I hear Boston somewhat as well, but it's cold up there.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:37 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,800,357 times
How can the poll options not include Boston and D.C.? Both of those areas are great tech locations and are better than Houston, Dallas and Atlanta.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoness View Post
We are talking about Software Engineering and there is no mention of Seattle? That would be my first pick. Dallas and Atlanta pale in comparison to the west coast in the fields of technology. Houston qualifies but is more industrially-oriented in terms of energy and less towards software engineering, telecom etc. However, assuming I had a family (unlikely) SF would be too costly making Seattle a prime second choice, though costs are going up. NYC is off the radar. It's an awesome city and has the MOST tech workers but that doesn't mean so much given its sheer population.

I'd also consider more mid-size cities like Denver which has a strong telecommunications presence which holds more interest to me in terms of Software Engineering. Los Angeles would be a contender too if it weren't for insane commutes and costs, I probably wouldn't raise a family in LA.
Those points are good. To be honest, I just don't like long code weather, otherwise Seattle will be a good choice.

I am not sure how is the job market in Atlanta? I know it might be a good city in terms of its having hold olympics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City