Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 11:55 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,968,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
" A working homeowner is more likely to have more disposable income to use on entertainment in Nashville than in Denver. "

Could be wrong, but would that person make more in Denver? Pretty sure they would!
Not necessarily.

On city-data: Denver 2009 median household income: $46,410 vs. Nashville 2009 median household income: $45,540. That says incomes are really comparable. Of course housing costs are FAR higher in Denver. $244,600 vs. $166,400 median. So no, the housing cost disparity is not made up for by similarly higher wages. The $78k housing cost disparity more than eats up the slightly (less than $1k) higher income in Denver. People in Denver simply have to get by on less because housing consumes a much bigger portion of their resources. People in Denver simply have less disposable income than people in Nashville, generally speaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 02:40 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,072,086 times
Try this link:

https://www.efanniemae.com/sf/refmat...Button1=Search

Denver - 78,200
nashville - 66,200

Old 05-27-2012, 04:57 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,328,903 times
Quote:
Try this link:

https://www.efanniemae.com/sf/refmat...Button1=Search

Denver - 78,200
nashville - 66,200
Best Value Cities 2011: How Does Your City Stack Up? Sortable Data, U.S. Metropolitan Areas, Population, Cost of Living Index, Creative Class, Median Household Income, Income Growth

Or this one.

You can find a ton of different ones that give different values.

Point is, cost of living is less here. It doesn't matter if the average income is a little higher in Denver...that advantage is negated by the cost of living.

MantaRay was not wrong in saying that the average Nashvillian probably had more disposable income. That's what they can spend, not what they take in.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:48 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,072,086 times
Usually less desireable places have lower costs of living!

Old 05-27-2012, 08:13 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,328,903 times
Quote:
Fantastic. Don't move here.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Usually less desirable places don't have the high rate of influx from California that Nashville has seen. Usually less desirable places don't have the high rate of tourism influx that Nashville has. Usually less desirable places don't have wealthy entertainment stars left and right choosing to live there.

Trying to insinuate that Nashville is a less desirable place is a joke. Nashville has recreational amenities, arts presence, pro sports, variety in restaurants, and the simple fact is that people in Nashville generally have more disposable income to spend on those things than people in Denver have to spend on what Denver has.

Like I've said before, these two places are my top 2 for where to retire to, so clearly I like both places quite a lot, quite a lot more than most other US cities. But to try to put bogus inferences out there about Nashville being less desirable just because we have demonstrated with factual data that Denver DOES have some minusses to go along with its plusses is really unnecessary.

In my earlier post, I stated some things Nashville has on Denver and some things Denver has on Nashville. It's really a shame that people have to get offended that the city they prefer doesn't have EVERYTHING on another city. Why such a thin-skinned perspective that can't stand any minusses being mentioned along with the plusses? And even when somebody presents them in a BALANCED approach? No city has all plusses and no minusses. Why the fear to acknowledge Denver's minusses?

Old 05-28-2012, 05:05 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,578,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
That would seem to qualify both cities, then. 4 sports vs. 2 sports isn't exactly a dozen sports vs. no sports.

Futhermore, I could say that music contributes significantly to having world class entertainment, and it's clear which city has the better music scene. My point, again, is that this sports example ultimately is not all that decisive a factor and certainly doesn't mean a whole lot all by itself. Except maybe to the person who is interested in most every sport and has no interest in music at all.
Nashville is a Gamma World Class City and i'm not knocking it , and it's doing good to even have two Major League Sports Teams , good for a
city Nashville sizes (Nashville a great city) "and so is Denver" Oh by the
way Denver has (5) Major League Sports Teams...for people that like
a whole lot of Major League Sports like me.....

Old 05-28-2012, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I could care less about pro sports. Give me NCAA Basketball anyday!
March Madness/Final Four and in don't get any better any place outside of Kentucky imo.

The Manliest Cities
Okay, so Nashville takes first place here, but Louisville is still in the top 15.
Denver floats around 30 or so...
(I got bored trying to find their rating)
When you get right down to it Louisville is the best city for some people , and Nashville is better for yet another group of people , and Denver is
better for those people that prefer Denver it's a Win Win Sit.....n don't
you think???

Old 05-28-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Oh by the
way Denver has (5) Major League Sports Teams...for people that like
a whole lot of Major League Sports like me.....
And more miles of off road bike paths than any other city in the US, for people that like a whole lot of off road bike paths like me. And in my opinion one of the best performing arts complexes in the entire US. My retirement city decision is now coming down to Denver and Nashville (unless and until the air quality in a 3rd city, not Louisville, dramatically improves by then).

By the way, I should also point out that I don't prefer on-street bike lanes because of the numerous instances of bikers getting creamed by cars, particularly in places like San Diego for example. But I did notice while in Denver that when day tripping to Boulder, plenty of bikers are out on the regular roads and that the traffic was so light, so absent, and the roadway so visible from far back, that it really was safe for them to bike there. Boulder is not Denver, but it is close and I found this fact really interesting. I've rarely seen open road in major metropolitan areas where it seemed particularly safe to ride bikes.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
And more miles of off road bike paths than any other city in the US, for people that like a whole lot of off road bike paths like me. And in my opinion one of the best performing arts complexes in the entire US. My retirement city decision is now coming down to Denver and Nashville (unless and until the air quality in a 3rd city, not Louisville, dramatically improves by then).

By the way, I should also point out that I don't prefer on-street bike lanes because of the numerous instances of bikers getting creamed by cars, particularly in places like San Diego for example. But I did notice while in Denver that when day tripping to Boulder, plenty of bikers are out on the regular roads and that the traffic was so light, so absent, and the roadway so visible from far back, that it really was safe for them to bike there. Boulder is not Denver, but it is close and I found this fact really interesting. I've rarely seen open road in major metropolitan areas where it seemed particularly safe to ride bikes.
I understand what the OP was trying to do by comparing Nashville and Denver , the only way to get the news out on Nashville is to compare it to a Larger , more well known city.

Nashville has a lot going for itself , and it is a desirable city with a really low COL , check out these links below....
Nashville
http://www.visitmusiccity.com/music/musicvenues

Denver
http://www.denver.com/nightlife/live-music-clubs.html

Louisville
http://louisville.metromix.com/bars-...686546/content

Last edited by Howest2008; 05-28-2012 at 01:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City