U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-03-2012, 07:21 AM

10,266 posts, read 11,065,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
According to my criteria, I am pretty sure Seattle wins in almost every criteria. You can look up the stats for overseas born.etc: just for starters, Seattle's Asian population is 12.9% compared to 6% in Houston. Since Asians are for the most part relatively recent migrants it's a pretty good indication.

Seattle includes companies like Microsoft, Amazon, Starbucks and Boeing (although it's not based there anymore, is probably no better symbol of being 'international' than anything else) - companies that are world famous. Houston, name me one which is a household name outside the US.

I think many Americans underesetimate the importance of west coast cities, especially Seattle (I've noticed this trend) while overestimating cities like Houston simply based on population. No, despite all your home town pride, Houston is not in the same league as Seattle, San Francisco.etc in international/cosmopolitan-ness.
Because only Asians count for diversity. What about Latin Americans and Africans? Houston has a very diverse Latin populace and the largest Nigerian population in the US. Hosuton (as well as Dallas) are both more multicultural than Seattle. The number prove that and that isn't even up for debate. If you want foreign born numbers, read the report below:

http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/Fil...mmigration.pdf

Companies know outside the US based in Houston? Ever fill up your car with gas?

Im sorry, but you're wrong. Houston is absolutely more international. It has nothing to do with hometown pride.

Last edited by peterlemonjello; 05-03-2012 at 07:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 11:12 AM

18,516 posts, read 16,525,548 times
Quote:
Fair points, but when discussing how 'international' a city is, I think an outsider's point of view does have some relevance. To us, Seattle is better known and more familiar. Houston is known maybe by the space center and for those knowledgeable enough for oil. Other than that, it's not even on the psychological radar for most non-Americans. It probably DOES say something about how international it is or isn't.
So you are speaking for every International person?

Dude you passed by on a Bus, how the heck are you gonna seat all the way in freaking Aussie Land and talk about American Cities like you spent weeks in them researching them. Cut the BS man, you know a minuscule bit about Houston, you are not qualified to speak.

Quote:
According to my criteria, I am pretty sure Seattle wins in almost every criteria. You can look up the stats for overseas born.etc: just for starters, Seattle's Asian population is 12.9% compared to 6% in Houston. Since Asians are for the most part relatively recent migrants it's a pretty good indication.

Seattle includes companies like Microsoft, Amazon, Starbucks and Boeing (although it's not based there anymore, is probably no better symbol of being 'international' than anything else) - companies that are world famous. Houston, name me one which is a household name outside the US.

I think many Americans underesetimate the importance of west coast cities, especially Seattle (I've noticed this trend) while overestimating cities like Houston simply based on population. No, despite all your home town pride, Houston is not in the same league as Seattle, San Francisco.etc in international/cosmopolitan-ness.
There he goes again with his nonsense

so Seattle has 4 international companies, have you considered that Almost all of Houston's Companies are international? From its 5000 Oil Companies down to its Law firms with Offices in Europe and the Middle East,???

dude everyone on here disagrees with you and thinks tha assertion is absurd, why don't you save yourself the embarrassment and just quietly back away from that stinking pile.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:11 PM

1,860 posts, read 1,605,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I'm suprised no one made a bid for Detroit.

It has a lot going against it now, but I'm not sure how anyone can deny it's not one of America's most international cities.

It has the busiest international border crossing in the continent, and in terms of distance it is closest in the world. Detroit and Windsor combined make up the largest international Metropolis in the world.

Ambassador Bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Detroit International Riverfront - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ill have to agree with you here. Even though Detroit isn't in the best shape right now and is still in recovery stage there is no arguing that it is a international area. You can't have a large international metropolitan area and not be international, especially as large as Detroit's. Not to mention the Arabic population and it still has a Mexicantown and a Greektown.

In NO order I would say these cities are undoubtedly the most international cities in the US.
NYC
LA
Miami
Chicago
San Diego
Detroit
San Francisco
Houston
I think other cities that could finish the list is Atlanta, Dallas, Philly, Baltimore, Boston, DC, and Phoenix.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:15 PM

13,475 posts, read 14,978,263 times
Quote:
Seattle is 7.9% black and 6.6% Hispanic. Sizable communities, if you ask me. It's black communities is also fairly old.
Seattle's black population and Hispanic population does NOT compare to what Houston has. This is all metro stats btw.

Seattle's Black population = 234,477
Houston's Black population = 1,029,880 and it's growing much much faster.

Seattle's Hispanic population = 309,476
Houston's Hispanic population = 2,099,412

Just to compare the Asian communities.
Seattle Asian population = 490,579
Houston's Asian population = 417,415

Houston's Asian population is much closer to Seattle's Asian population than Seattle's Black and Hispanic population is to Houston's.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:22 PM

13,475 posts, read 14,978,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
Ill have to agree with you here. Even though Detroit isn't in the best shape right now and is still in recovery stage there is no arguing that it is a international area. You can't have a large international metropolitan area and not be international, especially as large as Detroit's. Not to mention the Arabic population and it still has a Mexicantown and a Greektown.

In NO order I would say these cities are undoubtedly the most international cities in the US.
NYC
LA
Miami
Chicago
San Diego
Detroit
San Francisco
Houston
I think other cities that could finish the list is Atlanta, Dallas, Philly, Baltimore, Boston, DC, and Phoenix.
I have to disagree with Detroit and San Diego being more international than San Francisco, Houston, DC (especially), and Boston.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:55 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,057,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Seattle's black population and Hispanic population does NOT compare to what Houston has. This is all metro stats btw.

Houston's Asian population is much closer to Seattle's Asian population than Seattle's Black and Hispanic population is to Houston's.
Well heres the thing about this Spade these are racial diversity stats and on Asian the Houston area keeps up well with Seattle however when we look at the composition of Mexicans, Hondorans, Salvadorans, Guatemalans, Argentenians, Peruvians, Brasilians, Chilleans, Nigerians, Dominicans, Haitians, Congoans, South Africans, Kenyans, Sudanese, Morroccoans, and other such groups on ethnic break up/nationalistic break up then Houston pulls away from Seattle. Another thing is 'destination' cities and Houston gets more international visitors than Seattle and the Houston airport system has a much superior network to other countries/especially direct flights than Seattle which to certain parts of the world isnt very connected. Seattle has a stronger marketing force so people in the world may know of the city of Seattle more but not even close with the business world or the world of immigration. Houston registers more in Europe while Seattle does in Asia [except China] and Houston pulls away with the middle east, Caribbean, Central and South America, and Africa is a big bonus to Houston.

[China its not uncommon to see Houston Rockets jerseys in Beijing or Shanghai, and the Rockets had a following of 80 million Chinese while the Knicks draw about 95 million thanks to Jeremy Lin, and Bucks at one point drew 60 million thanks to Xie]

Australia will go easily to Seattle, Houston is an international city with a weak national identity and Austalia is one of the closest connected cities to the U.S., U.K., and Canada culturally so Houston wont register there on the level of Seattle. Seattle is more known about in the U.S. than it is overseas by far. Its a darling of media in the U.S.

Now Dallas has a FAR bigger identity in the U.S. than Houston or Seattle COMBINED but internationally it levels off and follows Houston and is slightly above Seattle from my travels. Boston is another city that has a larger international reputation instead of national reputation, although unlike Houston, Seattle, or Dallas the difference is that Boston is strong on both.

Last edited by Slyman11; 05-03-2012 at 03:13 PM..

Old 05-03-2012, 03:34 PM

19,353 posts, read 16,700,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post

But asian somehow count more on CD - especially to the West Coast faithful

good info

Personally I find Hosuton and Seattle to have an international flair -both in the 6-12 range of which it is difficult to quantify IMHO

Old 05-03-2012, 03:42 PM

13,339 posts, read 13,531,587 times
Why wouldn't Asian count more? The Asian countries are simply more different from each other than the Latin-American ones.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:51 PM

10,266 posts, read 11,065,967 times
I might repharase it like this:

The top 6 in no order:

Chicago
Miami
Los Angeles
San Francisco
New York
Washington DC

7 and 8 in no order

Boston
Houston

9 through 13 (though I would put Atlanta and Detroit at 12 and 13)

Philly
Dallas
Seattle
Atlanta
Detroit

I would say all the cities above at least have international aspects. The top 6 are international on every level, 7 and 8 are international on most levels. 9 through 13 have many international aspects, but are less so than the others. Atlanta for example is a pop culture icon abroad, Dallas has the highest immigrant population of that group, Detroit is the worldwide center of the auto industry, Philly has the historical culture, and Seattle for its beauty.

I personally think Orlando in Las Vegas are in their own little category. They serve one purpose: tourism.

Last edited by peterlemonjello; 05-03-2012 at 04:01 PM..

Old 05-03-2012, 06:31 PM

637 posts, read 284,054 times
The Times-News - Google News Archive Search

Interestingly, back in 1980, Houston had the 2nd largest Vietnamese population after Southern California. I'd say Houston has had international connections for a LONG time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City