U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 04-27-2012, 08:27 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
772 posts, read 348,663 times
Reputation: 438

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Hmmm get a map out.. the gulf is a coast where Houston is. LOL its clear the US doesnt have a good education system.

Miami cant be on the list, its know as the nicest city in latin america so its not a us city
I know where Houston is, but it's not regarded as coastal city in this context. When people talk about the coastal cities they are referring to the east and west coast not the gulf coast or north coast. You know what I meant. Houston is considered as coastal as much as Pittsburgh is considered East Coast if you catch my drift.

Yes Houston, just a sliver, is on the coast, but it's not considered as one of the coastal cities in a social, historical, national and international context. Geography is just not physical, it's also cultural, social and historical. Sounds like you need to study in detail what geography is really all about, because I actuallymajored in urban geography, so yeah, I know my geography.

Even if you are joking, Miami would be far from being the nicest city in Latin America if it were part of it, so dunno where you ever heard that from.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-27-2012, 08:28 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
772 posts, read 348,663 times
Reputation: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrip View Post
lol What a stupid un-logical response back, could you actually explain why am I wrong, before you shot another one in your arm and bluff anything else?
You are basing how international a place is based on what people see in movies and TV. That's why it's flawed.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2012, 08:29 PM
 
388 posts, read 484,885 times
Reputation: 190
Why a personal rank when there are stats for this?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2012, 08:32 PM
 
Location: Arroyo Grande, California
5,466 posts, read 3,864,069 times
Reputation: 3168
NY
LA
SF
Mia
DC
Chi
Bos
Hou
Dal
Sea
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2012, 08:42 PM
 
52 posts, read 40,396 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
You are basing how international a place is based on what people see in movies and TV. That's why it's flawed.
People travel according to what they see, so how is it flawed to say, Santa Fe is not international, when its actually full of tourist from all over the world??

It only makes more sense, the more popular, the more reason why to visit it!If its not popular how can it bring international tourism or attention? that logic seems flawed to me!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2012, 08:46 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
772 posts, read 348,663 times
Reputation: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrip View Post
People travel according to what they see, so how is it flawed to say, Santa Fe is not international, when its actually full of tourist from all over the world??

It only makes more sense, the more popular, the more reason why to visit it!If its not popular how can it bring international tourism or attention? that logic seems flawed to me!
WTF are you talking about? I think you are confusing the words tourism and international. What makes a city international is its role in the global economy, influence of different countries within that city, diversity of the people and yes part of it is tourism, but it's only a small part of what makes up a an international city. Movies and TV help make a place more popular, but is not the driving force of where people choose to visit or make a place mor international, give me a break.

But really not going to argue with you. You believe what you want to believe.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2012, 11:00 PM
 
Location: SoCal
1,243 posts, read 624,314 times
Reputation: 848
I don't want to be "Tier Guy" but to me that seems to be the best way for me to list them:

1) New York/Los Angeles/San Francisco
2) Chicago/DC/Miami/Boston/Philly
4)Seattle/Houston...

That's 10 cities right there, obviously there would be more to that list. And by no means is my list perfect but that's how I would place them.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2012, 11:08 PM
 
52 posts, read 40,396 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
WTF are you talking about? I think you are confusing the words tourism and international. What makes a city international is its role in the global economy, influence of different countries within that city, diversity of the people and yes part of it is tourism, but it's only a small part of what makes up a an international city. Movies and TV help make a place more popular, but is not the driving force of where people choose to visit or make a place mor international, give me a break.

But really not going to argue with you. You believe what you want to believe.
What a bunch of croc sh@t

International can mean anything look at a dictionary! you are skewing the meaning to interpret it one way.

International can also mean it gets world recognition for its history and tourism, not just that it's a financially strong city world wide. Columbus Ohio is financially stronger than Santa fe, yet foreigners have never heard of it.

The tittle of the post does not say "the top ten financial cities in the u.s. recognized world wide" are you miopic?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2012, 11:33 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,516 posts, read 16,513,656 times
Reputation: 7270
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
I know where Houston is, but it's not regarded as coastal city in this context. When people talk about the coastal cities they are referring to the east and west coast not the gulf coast or north coast. You know what I meant. Houston is considered as coastal as much as Pittsburgh is considered East Coast if you catch my drift.

Yes Houston, just a sliver, is on the coast, but it's not considered as one of the coastal cities in a social, historical, national and international context. Geography is just not physical, it's also cultural, social and historical. Sounds like you need to study in detail what geography is really all about, because I actuallymajored in urban geography, so yeah, I know my geography.

Even if you are joking, Miami would be far from being the nicest city in Latin America if it were part of it, so dunno where you ever heard that from.
nonsense. Houston is right on the coast. It has multiple counties with coastal waters.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2012, 11:48 PM
 
Location: Burnsville, Minnesota
2,627 posts, read 1,213,578 times
Reputation: 1215
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
IMO Miami is more international than Houston, Boston, San Jose, sand Diego and long beach. Miami is a very international city. I dont understand how you say Miami isn't but then Honoulu is? Honolulu is the same as Miami only except it's Asians rather than Latinos.

I think it is foolish to say tht Miami is not international. If anything it would right after the group of NYC, LA, SF, DC and Chicago. If anyting I would say its part of that group.
Okay, you're right. Based on the OP's lists, Miami is international.

I was just going on my own scale of using racial groups and their proportions of a city's population in comparison to the world to determine international status. Miami has a majority of people born overseas, lots of different restaurants, and many hotels, so yeah, it's international in that context. However, on an ethnic and cultural level, Miami represents Latin America a hell of a lot more than it does the entire world. Honolulu and the world have a similar percentage of Asians, so Honolulu, in a racial context, represents the world well since it has an Asian majority. However, some other races in the city aren't very representative of the globe. Unmixed Whites make up about 20% of the population of Honolulu, which is probably a little higher than the world percentage, and it has few Blacks and a lot of Multiracial people, which is the opposite of the world's proportion of those groups (a lot more Blacks and a lot less Multiracial people). Just my observation.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top