U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 03:45 PM
JJG

13,582 posts, read 20,446,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah, I still think you'd be wrong. Chicago's loop is just far far more compact and tall.
Well tall, no. But if really, just think of ALL the highrises in and outside 610. Just imagine if they were all in downtown...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 03:50 PM

22,402 posts, read 34,181,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins View Post
It has nothing to do with size or land area. Downtown pittsburgh and oakland are the second and third largest business districts in pa. Downtowns corporate presence coupled with oaklands medical, research, university, and cultural presence seems acurate to me.
Am just curious, is there a larger University, medical, research, and cultural precense in Oakland compared to U City

Have you been to U City. The Penn Complex is enormous. The medical center, Penn, CHOP, Vet, etc is enormous.

I the science center complex is very large; closer to if not larger than Kendall sq and MIT area of Cambridge then Oakland based on my experience. Am not trying to be dense but just dont see it. There is currently research space in order

This is U City into Philly etc.

Kite Over Penn Relays, University City, U. of Penn and Drexel U. Philadelphia, PA | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Kite Over Penn Relays, University City, U. of Penn and Drexel U. Philadelphia, PA | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

University City | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 04-30-2012, 04:13 PM

5,805 posts, read 8,965,323 times
And this is Oakland if we're going by pictures (just Pitt, No CMU), you still offered no hard fact that's Oakland isn't PA 3 largest business district....You simply can't stand that Philly takes a back seat to anything PA.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:25 PM

I clearly posted links to show larger business districts in PA than Oakland. And you lived in both are you suggesting Oakland is a lerger area than U City BB?

And I like Pittsburgh and am very much an advocate. I posted data that showed your claim wrong; by a large amount and you call this me boosting?

Nice images by the way - do a much better job in showing the size than those I have posted

Is the Pitt complex larger than Penn and Drexel; didnt seem to me but I have limited experience so ask

Old 04-30-2012, 04:34 PM

7,485 posts, read 9,236,100 times
Its Houston hands down with its many CBD like areas of office some like the Galleria has a robust night life with high density residential near by despite being the shadow of downtown. Philly and Oakland are nice too but no zoning puts Houston in another category as mini DT's can pop up anywhere

Old 04-30-2012, 04:37 PM

18,509 posts, read 29,676,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
CBD is 45 Million in office sq footage; that excludes Ucity also excludes the many more aptartment and condo towers; 5 more going up in the CBD as we speak. In the number of highrises Houston (all areas included) and Philly are far closer than Chicago, and yes the loop is larger than either; not withstanding the continued line in Chicago

Why just the loop though; the comment was about more a gap in Houston and the response if all were together it would give Chicago a run; I disagree; Chicago is continuous and long - Far larger than Houston.

I said Philly because if all highrises were combined in Houston the cluster would be closer to the size in Philly; which is true based on numbers of highrises. Remember that the Philly CBD with similar office sq footage has vastly more residential highrises and most of the Hospital highrises already in the cluster

I used as a comparison because Houston today in numbers soes not compare to the moster that is Chicago on this front

so Philly has 150M sq feet of Hirises??

Sorry hun, I don't believe you.

and I don't know which comment you are talking about. I am talking about the poster who thought it would make an interesting skyline if they were all built in one area. He said it would be comparable to the loop in Chicago.

No offense but Philly's CBD is not that big. Without the condos building all those district in one would be twice as large as Phillys CBD even with all the residential hi rises. You are proping up the weigh of the residential buildings in Philly

Philly is definitely not as big as you think:
Helicopter Rides | Uwishunu - Philadelphia Blog About Things to Do, Events, Restaurants, Food, Nightlife and More

Old 04-30-2012, 04:41 PM

252 posts, read 444,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Oakland, LA and Brooklyn

and Minneapolis

PHOTO by Punchup

Old 04-30-2012, 04:44 PM

Some better shots of U City

First require the link due to copyrighting
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

University of Pennsylvania Campus, Looking East | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

University of Pennsylvania Campus with Jon M. Huntsman Hall, Looking East | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 04-30-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
so Philly has 150M sq feet of Hirises??

Sorry hun, I don't believe you.

and I don't know which comment you are talking about. I am talking about the poster who thought it would make an interesting skyline if they were all built in one area. He said it would be comparable to the loop in Chicago.

No offense but Philly's CBD is not that big. Without the condos building all those district in one would be twice as large as Phillys CBD even with all the residential hi rises. You are proping up the weigh of the residential buildings in Philly

Philly is definitely not as big as you think:
Helicopter Rides | Uwishunu - Philadelphia Blog About Things to Do, Events, Restaurants, Food, Nightlife and More
umm suggest you re-read. I said Houston doesnt have 150 m sq feet of highrises

And my point was and is always that Houston and Philly would be more similar than the Chicgao comparison which to me was silly (and the loop was never thrown in until called on it, even so the broader DT of Chicago is vastly larger than combined Houston on both office and residential; Chicago is not a good comparator; my point). Chicago is Vastly larger than Houston in numbers of highrise; whereas Houston and Philly are much closer the point

On the later point yes 45 mil is what it is but including the residential highrises (many more in Philly compared to Houston on the residential front) and Ucity as a clust would be more similar to all Houston combined

Are you suggesting Houston in terms of highrises is closer to Chicago than Philly - this is crux

And I never said Philly is any behomoth, I said large. Houston and Philly are in the same range; neither all that large especially relative to a monster like Chicago, the point

And look up high rise numbers and explain how Houston would be closer to Chicago than philly please

I posted sq footage for the DTs and broader houston - not comparable and we all know Cjhicago dwarfs Houston (and Philly) in highrise residential so what is the dissucssion really. Is that you dont like that Houston is closer in number sof highrises to Philly and dwarfed by Chicago

Chicago is truly one of the wolrds great skylines, Philly and Houston are not; though both both pretty impressive but no Chicagos no matter how you configure them

Old 04-30-2012, 04:50 PM
JJG

13,582 posts, read 20,446,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unity77 View Post
and Minneapolis

PHOTO by Punchup
But St. Paul is a completely different city......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City