Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 01:42 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,846,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Two and three? University City is Philadelphia's second largest business district and it is larger than downtown Pittsburgh. So maybe Pittsburgh has the three and four spot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Actually not sure if if UCity is larger than DT Pittsburgh

But is larger than Oakland of the extended Burgh DT as are KOP, Blue Bell, and Wilmington DE. There are quite a few CBDs in the Philly just a hair below DT in pittsburgh in actually (Cherry Hill, Mt Laurel, Horsham, Newtown/Yardley, Great Valley, Media etc.) and many more larger than Oakland with places like Bala and Conshy and Radnor.

KOP is actually more than 5 times the size of Oakland and more than twice the size of of DT Pittsburgh. BB makes many claims on Pittsburgh that just are not backed in reality.

There are 5 CBDS in the Philly market larger than DT Pittsburgh and it looks like another 7 or 8 larger than Oakland

Think 6 and 14 in the state are more reality

http://www.cushwake.com/cwmbs3q11/pd...burgh_3q11.pdf

http://www.cushwake.com/cwmbs3q11/pd...lacbd_3q11.pdf

The Philadelphia CBD is roughly the size of the whole Pittsburgh market with everything included. KOP alone is nearly 40% the size of the total Pittsburgh metro office market.

I like the Burgh a lot but these claims are beyond outlandish
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
I don't know, I've lived in the Burgh'. I wouldn't say Oakland is big by any stretch. It's basically an area where Canegie Mellon resides as well as the U of Pitt. It's basically a typical college area. Not a traditonal "Central Business district". It's about the size of a very small city (20,000), so I wouldn't see that as being big. It's definately packed due to all the college kids, but does it seem like its own downtown-absolutely not. Then there's East Liberty. I know the area very well since I lived by there. It has more of a downtown feel (or atleast central business district) than Oakland, but by no means is it large enough from what the op' is saying. It looks like it would be a small downtown for a city or town of 10,000. Pittsburgh (discluding the downtown) to me always seemed like a city of lots of small towns.

I say this, because alot of people are talking pretty much other cities like Fort Worth to Dallas. The areas you suggested are like small towns/ even really tiny cities compared to what the op' is reffering too. I'm glad atleast you didn't mention Squirell hill or Shadyside. Then you would be really stretching it..

Can anybody offer up any actual facts to state some other CBD actually has more economic output than Downtown Pittsburgh and Oakland. Besides Center City Philadelphia

This is isn't about office space, or Sq mils...its about Economic/GDP output.

Kidphilly loves to change methodology in order to prop up Philadelphia.

Quote:
Oakland is the academic, cultural, and healthcare center of Pittsburgh and is Pennsylvania's third largest "Downtown". [1] Only Center City Philadelphia and Downtown Pittsburgh can claim more economic and social activity than Oakland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oakland_(Pittsburgh)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 01:50 PM

20,499 posts, read 33,299,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I was talking about Chicago's inner loop....
Yeah, I still think you'd be wrong. Chicago's loop is just far far more compact and tall.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:12 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,665,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Can anybody offer up any actual facts to state some other CBD actually has more economic output than Downtown Pittsburgh and Oakland. Besides Center City Philadelphia

Montgomery county PA actually has more GDP than does the city itself; most of which is in KOP

Montco is an economic monster. Wilmington DE is also a monster though on the border of PA; not sure if it surpasses Oakland but almost positive KOP does in this regard.

And again how did I change the methodology? You said 2nd and 3rd largest - to me office sq footage is a decent barometer; I posted facts on cbd market sizes as such

Sure looks like u meant size (who is changing methodology - regardless KOP is larger)

Quote:
Pittsburgh has 2 & 3 largest CBD (Downtown and Oakland) in the state of PA...with an emerging 3rd CBD in the East Liberty the neighborhood where Google is located.
Based on the facts it looks more like these are 6 and 14 in the state (Wouldnt falsly calling #2 and 3 in the state when in FACT they are 6 and 14 be propping up -hmmm tough to look in the mirror at times I assume

Quote:

But is larger than Oakland of the extended Burgh DT as are KOP, Blue Bell, and Wilmington DE. There are quite a few CBDs in the Philly just a hair below DT in pittsburgh in actually (Cherry Hill, Mt Laurel, Horsham, Newtown/Yardley, Great Valley, Media etc.) and many more larger than Oakland with places like Bala and Conshy and Radnor.

KOP is actually more than 5 times the size of Oakland and more than twice the size of of DT Pittsburgh. BB makes many claims on Pittsburgh that just are not backed in reality.

There are 5 CBDS in the Philly market larger than DT Pittsburgh and it looks like another 7 or 8 larger than Oakland

http://www.cushwake.com/cwmbs3q11/pdf/off_pittsburgh_3q11.pdf

http://www.cushwake.com/cwmbs3q11/pdf/off_philacbd_3q11.pdf

The Philadelphia CBD is roughly the size of the whole Pittsburgh market with everything included. KOP alone is nearly 40% the size of the total Pittsburgh metro office market.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:

Also have been to Oakland and UCity - you really think they are comparable? Honestly?

Old 04-30-2012, 02:18 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,760,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah, I still think you'd be wrong. Chicago's loop is just far far more compact and tall.
dont think he is talking about compact or tall. he is saying if Houston didn't build all over the place it would be more on the level of the loop in Chicago.

Houston has over 190M sq feet of office space in the city. That would have been a helluva downtown area. With that many buildings in our loop we would have to get rid of all those single family homes and start building more condos.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
dont think he is talking about compact or tall. he is saying if Houston didn't build all over the place it would be more on the level of the loop in Chicago.

Houston has over 190M sq feet of office space in the city. That would have been a helluva downtown area. With that many buildings in our loop we would have to get rid of all those single family homes and start building more condos.
While I think the office space is impressive, isnt the 190 million the metro number, much of which is not highrises.

http://www.cushwake.com/cwmbs3q11/pd...uston_3q11.pdf

The Chicago Loop is closer to 121K and this does not include the far more numerous Apt and Condo and Hotels in tha area; really just a different scale altogether

http://www.cushwake.com/cwmbs3q11/pd...gocbd_3q11.pdf
I am not sure Houston consoldiated would compare to the Loop; one thing for sure is on the whole it would not compare to all of the Chicago highrises.

Which was point; likely would be far closer to the Philly set up in numbers and size than anything remotely close to Chicago. Houston and Philly are large; Chicago is immense (really a different level)

Old 04-30-2012, 02:57 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,760,188 times
Quote:
While I think the office space is impressive, isnt the 190 million the metro number, much of which is not highrises.

http://www.cushwake.com/cwmbs3q11/pd...uston_3q11.pdf

The Chicago Loop is closer to 121K and this does not include the far more numerous Apt and Condo and Hotels in tha area; really just a different scale altogether

http://www.cushwake.com/cwmbs3q11/pd...gocbd_3q11.pdf
I am not sure Houston consoldiated would compare to the Loop; one thing for sure is on the whole it would not compare to all of the Chicago highrises.

Which was point; likely would be far closer to the Philly set up in numbers and size than anything remotely close to Chicago. Houston and Philly are large; Chicago is immense (really a different level)

no the city.

Downtown
Midtown
Allen Parkway
TMC
Binz
Greenway are all in the inner loop

Uptown
Westchase
Energy Corridor
Greenspoint
are in the city outside the loop.

Apart from The Woodlands and Sugarland the metro is rather flat. Most of the Tall buildings are in Houston itself.

And no Houston would be far Larger than Philly's CBD if they built all those districts together. It would definitely be more comparable to Chicago's loop.And yes, we are just comparing the Loop.

Houston has far less Condows but they are coming up. Especially in Uptown, and we have more hotels than you think. Tons of hotels.

This is the one I used: http://www.grubb-ellis.com/SitePages...type=9&id=1355

Minus TW and Sugarland and add in TMC and you get 190M sq feet.

If I am correct the Philly CBD is about 45M sq feet.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:12 PM

747 posts, read 1,225,007 times
Quote:

http://www.cushwake.com/cwmbs3q11/pd...burgh_3q11.pdf

http://www.cushwake.com/cwmbs3q11/pd...lacbd_3q11.pdf
W

It has nothing to do with size or land area. Downtown pittsburgh and oakland are the second and third largest business districts in pa. Downtowns corporate presence coupled with oaklands medical, research, university, and cultural presence seems acurate to me.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
no the city.

Downtown
Midtown
Allen Parkway
TMC
Binz
Greenway are all in the inner loop

Uptown
Westchase
Energy Corridor
Greenspoint
are in the city outside the loop.

Apart from The Woodlands and Sugarland the metro is rather flat. Most of the Tall buildings are in Houston itself.

And no Houston would be far Larger than Philly's CBD if they built all those districts together. It would definitely be more comparable to Chicago's loop.And yes, we are just comparing the Loop.

Houston has far less Condows but they are coming up. Especially in Uptown, and we have more hotels than you think. Tons of hotels.

This is the one I used: http://www.grubb-ellis.com/SitePages...type=9&id=1355

Minus TW and Sugarland and add in TMC and you get 190M sq feet.

If I am correct the Philly CBD is about 45M sq feet.
CBD is 45 Million in office sq footage; that excludes Ucity also excludes the many more aptartment and condo towers; 5 more going up in the CBD as we speak. In the number of highrises Houston (all areas included) and Philly are far closer than Chicago, and yes the loop is larger than either; not withstanding the continued line in Chicago

Why just the loop though; the comment was about more a gap in Houston and the response if all were together it would give Chicago a run; I disagree; Chicago is continuous and long - Far larger than Houston.

I said Philly because if all highrises were combined in Houston the cluster would be closer to the size in Philly; which is true based on numbers of highrises. Remember that the Philly CBD with similar office sq footage has vastly more residential highrises and most of the Hospital highrises already in the cluster

I used as a comparison because Houston today in numbers soes not compare to the moster that is Chicago on this front

Old 04-30-2012, 03:44 PM

672 posts, read 1,781,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Oakland, LA and Brooklyn

Wow!

Amazingly similar.

Oakland, our Brooklyn, who would have thunk it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City