Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2012, 12:38 PM

432 posts, read 609,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
chicago , Philadelphia, and miami???
Why not? Each of these cities have a fairly large black population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 12:39 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,744,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
You're talking about the eary 1920s. In 1920 the Imperial Wizard William J. Simmons of Atlanta, Ga. was charged with setting up the Klan in Indiana. D.C. Stephenson was charged as the lead recruiter. The actually Klan reign lasted just short of 5 years which is hardly a legacy. D.C. Stephenson was the Klan in Indiana. When he was convicted the Klan effectively died.

As an organization, the Klan died after Stephenson was convicted... you're correct about that. In practice, however, the message of the Klan was very much alive for the better part of the 20th Century. Indiana was easily one of the most segregated states in the country to the point where the cities were almost entirely black and the suburbs were almost entirely white up until very recently. Gary IN for example used to be about 50/50 black and white until the first black mayor was elected in 1968 (Hatcher)... blacks went from around 45% of the city to 80%+ of the city in less than 15 years.

EDIT: And sundown towns existed in Indiana and the rest of the country in the real sense of the word (enforced segregation) well into the 1980's. We're not talking about ancient history here.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:58 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
Why not? Each of these cities have a fairly large black population.
that doesn't mean a thing. from my own experiences blacks themselves do not even like these places.Every black person i have known in my 22 years of living always refereed to Miami, and Philly as huge lands of ghetto. All of the black people i seen flock down to Philly only went for cost of living, other then that the areas they moved to were similarly as ghetto as the ones they once lived in nyc.

im normally in philly. philly has both good and bad black areas but it has never been recognized as a city good for blacks to move to overall speaking.

as for Miami?? the black areas in Miami are all dumps sad to say but i went their last spring, and drove outside of south beach into the main Miami city across the bridge, and i would never want to live in those places if i were a black person with good income, looking for a nice place to stay.

im black myself btw. my parents are Haitian, and even the Haitian areas in Miami are worse then the Haitian majority areas in NYC.

As for chicago it can attract black folks with positive lifestyles, and good income mainly because its a all around world class city i believe? But the black population of chicago is constantly raped by the media, which is why black folks dont always make that their first options.

i mean the headlines everyday for chicago are the gang warefare in a good couple of these black areas. Off coarse the good black areas of chicago get little to no attention, but none the less its a world class city which might be the main reason a black person would feel comfy about going their.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:02 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,909,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
As an organization, the Klan died after Stephenson was convicted... you're correct about that. In practice, however, the message of the Klan was very much alive for the better part of the 20th Century. Indiana was easily one of the most segregated states in the country to the point where the cities were almost entirely black and the suburbs were almost entirely white up until very recently. Gary IN for example used to be about 50/50 black and white until the first black mayor was elected in 1968 (Hatcher)... blacks went from around 45% of the city to 80%+ of the city in less than 15 years.

EDIT: And sundown towns existed in Indiana and the rest of the country in the real sense of the word (enforced segregation) well into the 1980's. We're not talking about ancient history here.
For starters, Gary is just one city in Indiana and Gary's decline is attributed to the decline of the steel mills not racial discord. Secondly, there are MANY states with far worse segregation issues. It is a fact that Indianapolis is one of the least segregation cities in the United States. Finally, wasn't Inglewood, California noted for it's Klan activity. My history is a little fuzzy but I seem to recall reading about extremely active Ku Klux Klan activity in Inglewood which was just as media charged as the Indiana incident. AND they were both around the same time frame.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:58 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Nope. According to the Southern Poverty Law Center there are 20 known hate organizations in Indiana. The following states have more hate organizations: Califorina 84, Georgia 65, Florida 55, New Jersey 47, Texas 45, Mississippi 41, Tennessee 39, New York 37, Pennsylvania 34, Virginia 34, North Carolina 34, Alabama 32, Ohio 32, Ilinois 28, South Carolina 27, Missouri 26, Arkansas 26, Michigan 26.
More than the KKK is included in those stats. The SPLC categorizes all sorts of organizations as "hate groups," including those that oppose gay marriage.

Old 09-23-2012, 02:28 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,955,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfside__ View Post
Atlanta #1 for blacks, as well as most areas in the south.
I'm black and would HATE to live in Atlanta. But I agree about most places in the South. Times have changed.

Old 09-23-2012, 02:37 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
More than the KKK is included in those stats. The SPLC categorizes all sorts of organizations as "hate groups," including those that oppose gay marriage.
and also black , and Hispanic hate groups as well right?? cause i do know that theirs some hispanic hate groups in places like Texas , and California.

Old 09-23-2012, 02:40 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,744,821 times
Quote:
For starters, Gary is just one city in Indiana and Gary's decline is attributed to the decline of the steel mills not racial discord. Secondly, there are MANY states with far worse segregation issues. It is a fact that Indianapolis is one of the least segregation cities in the United States. Finally, wasn't Inglewood, California noted for it's Klan activity. My history is a little fuzzy but I seem to recall reading about extremely active Ku Klux Klan activity in Inglewood which was just as media charged as the Indiana incident. AND they were both around the same time frame.

Gary's decline is attributed both to the loss of steel jobs and the loss of much of its tax base (read: white flight) in the 1970's.

And yes, South LA was a very segregated area with a very large white population as well up until the 1960's, the tipping point being the Watts Riots; it triggered massive white flight from South LA. What's your point? We're talking about Indiana. Obviously though since your intent was to make me look at "my own backyard", here's something you probably didn't know: Oakland was THE West Coast capital of the KKK up until the mid 1920's. It's not a coincidence either that 40 years later the Black Panther Party formed where it did... all I'm pointing out is that you can't ignore the impact of the history in Indiana either.

Old 09-23-2012, 02:44 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,909,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That is true. Georgia has two (2) anti gay hate groups. Over 34 of Georgia's hate groups are white supremacist groups (Klan, Neo Nazi, Skinhead, White Nationalist ...). I'm not counting the 20 Georgia Militia groups,

Old 09-23-2012, 03:05 PM

432 posts, read 609,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
that doesn't mean a thing. from my own experiences blacks themselves do not even like these places.Every black person i have known in my 22 years of living always refereed to Miami, and Philly as huge lands of ghetto. All of the black people i seen flock down to Philly only went for cost of living, other then that the areas they moved to were similarly as ghetto as the ones they once lived in nyc.

im normally in philly. philly has both good and bad black areas but it has never been recognized as a city good for blacks to move to overall speaking.

as for Miami?? the black areas in Miami are all dumps sad to say but i went their last spring, and drove outside of south beach into the main Miami city across the bridge, and i would never want to live in those places if i were a black person with good income, looking for a nice place to stay.

im black myself btw. my parents are Haitian, and even the Haitian areas in Miami are worse then the Haitian majority areas in NYC.

As for chicago it can attract black folks with positive lifestyles, and good income mainly because its a all around world class city i believe? But the black population of chicago is constantly raped by the media, which is why black folks dont always make that their first options.

i mean the headlines everyday for chicago are the gang warefare in a good couple of these black areas. Off coarse the good black areas of chicago get little to no attention, but none the less its a world class city which might be the main reason a black person would feel comfy about going their.
I'm just saying that in cities like NYC, Philly, Chicago, DC, Atlanta, and Miami, your most likely going to be more respected due to the culture that involves black people most of the time. It's not about how bad the media portrays black people. It's about cities that offer good amenities and still have a huge black population (Chicago, NYC, Philly, DC, Atlanta for ex.). Your less likely to encounter moments of racism in those cities compared to places like Boston, San Francisco, (Yes San Francisco, it seems like only Asians and Whites are the respected ones, everyone else is usually looked down upon from my experience being stationed there in the NAVY).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City