Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 09:13 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
But the issue is that people don't always get what "equally qualified" means. If the job only requires a bachelor's degree and three years of related experience and both have that, then they are equally qualified. If one of the candidates speaks Mandarin, has a Six Sigma certification, and received the key to the city for rescuing the mayor's wife from a burning car, those things don't make him more qualified because they aren't requirements associated with the job; otherwise, they would have been mentioned. Otherwise, what you're saying is akin to arguments against AA, but I'm not getting into that.

I've come to realize that trying to argue morality in this context is about as useless as getting Mary J. Blige to sing in the right key. This is the way the world has worked ever since there's been civilization and complaining about how it's "wrong" won't change it. So do your best to get connected or get left in the dust.
WHOOOAAA. Leave her out of this.

I don't believe I ever said anything about wanting to change the world. Wrong will always be wrong, though.

And I know what equally qualified means, and, in my experience, it does not happen often. They might have the same level of education and years of experience, but one of them usually has more better skills that will allow him to perform better on the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 10:19 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
WHOOOAAA. Leave her out of this.
Uh oh, somebody's sensitive about Mary. I love her, but hey, it is what it is.

Quote:
I don't believe I ever said anything about wanting to change the world. Wrong will always be wrong, though.

And I know what equally qualified means, and, in my experience, it does not happen often. They might have the same level of education and years of experience, but one of them usually has more better skills that will allow him to perform better on the job.
If those skills are necessary for the job, then they will be requirements. If not, then they shouldn't really be considered.

At the end of the day, what the guy is saying is a constant across all cities but we tend to single things out when they hit home for us. To that I simple say "Welcome to the real world." I don't expect any one city to be above the fray in all of this and certainly West Coast cities certainly aren't immune. I guess he never saw this: Black in America 4: The New Promised Land - Silicon Valley - CNNMoney

Old 09-27-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
If those skills are necessary for the job, then they will be requirements. If not, then they shouldn't really be considered.
Not necessarily. For example, with Houston's large Latino population, being fluent in Spanish is a huge advantage in many industries here, but not always a requirement.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Not necessarily. For example, with Houston's large Latino population, being fluent in Spanish is a huge advantage in many industries here, but not always a requirement.
Even if it's not actually required but would be beneficial and would actually result in substantially increased productivity, it's still usually stated; something like "Fluency in Spanaish preferred." If not, then that company needs to revamp their HR department.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Even if it's not actually required but would be beneficial and would actually result in substantially increased productivity, it's still usually stated; something like "Fluency in Spanaish preferred." If not, then that company needs to revamp their HR department.
Exactly, but it's not necessarily a requirement. So if Applicant A and Applicant B both meet the prerequisites, but App. B can speak Spanish, wouldn't you agree that he should get the job, despite the fact that App. A went to his employer's alma mater?

Old 09-27-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Exactly, but it's not necessarily a requirement. So if Applicant A and Applicant B both meet the prerequisites, but App. B can speak Spanish, wouldn't you agree that he should get the job, despite the fact that App. A went to his employer's alma mater?
Come on, you know it's NEVER as simple as that, even assuming that fluency in Spanish is explicitly mentioned as a plus. The guy who doesn't speak Spanish could have interviewed better or had a better presentation of himself overall. You don't run resumes through a computer and let an automated system decide; it's a very human experience and several other factors--emotional, psychological, etc.--are at play. In the extremely hypothetical case that both candidates are identical in every way but one speaks Spanish (which is explicitly stated as being preferential) and didn't attend the hiring manager's alma mater, of course that person should get the job but we all know this situation is practically non-existent. There are too many variables that exist between people for it to be.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Come on, you know it's NEVER as simple as that, even assuming that fluency in Spanish is explicitly mentioned as a plus. The guy who doesn't speak Spanish could have interviewed better or had a better presentation of himself overall. You don't run resumes through a computer and let an automated system decide; it's a very human experience and several other factors--emotional, psychological, etc.--are at play. In the extremely hypothetical case that both candidates are identical in every way but one speaks Spanish (which is explicitly stated as being preferential) and didn't attend the hiring manager's alma mater, of course that person should get the job but we all know this situation is practically non-existent. There are too many variables that exist between people for it to be.
We're only posing hypotheticals here, Mutiny. The Spanish thing is just an example. My only initial point is that there are instances where a lesser qualified man will be given a biased advantage. You cannot deny that.

We're not talking about a guy getting hired because he gave a better interview. We're talking about a guy getting hired because of the connections he has; two very different situations.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:04 PM

76 posts, read 143,330 times
Quote:
We're only posing hypotheticals here, Mutiny. The Spanish thing is just an example. My only initial point is that there are instances where a lesser qualified man will be given a biased advantage. You cannot deny that.

We're not talking about a guy getting hired because he gave a better interview. We're talking about a guy getting hired because of the connections he has; two very different situations.
It happens all too often that women are overlooked but in corporate america it seems to be changing (slightly). AND once hired, women rarely receive the same compensation as males and by a large margin. Being a male and once married to a fairly successful woman, her and others struggle over and over again to achieve recognition especially for advancement to managerial and director level positions. My theory has always been and am sure, there's a "good 'ol boys" network and having women over men in upper management positions will threaten that network. There are many male slackers in the upper management position who will rarely hire women and then if they do, resist pushing them up the ladder. The small number of women brought into the fold are intimidated into not pushing for change for fear of losing their hard earned position. HR & Ethics departments should do their jobs and monitor this and if they don't, hold them accountable. I for one, do NOT fear a woman boss. They are often the most open minded and honest. Not universal but in many cases vs. males.
Just my experienced opinion. sounds like a new thread for this might be needed?

Old 09-27-2012, 09:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,164 times
Cool Race in the US

Race relations is so bad because of people. People should judge individually not as a race. There are bad people of every race. There are some in good in every race too.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:03 AM

Quote:

Yes, but the connection is not the only thing at play here. It's disingenuous to think that a person with connections has nothing else besides that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City