Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 04:09 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
Yeah, but almost no one in real life ever uses CSA statistics: almost everyone uses METROPOLITAN area statistics, of which the "Bay Area" is not one of them.

It's either San Francisco MSA, San Jose MSA, Napa MSA, Santa Cruz MSA, Santa Rosa MSA, or Vallejo-Fairfield MSA.

What's next, adding Sacramento, Stockton, and Modesto because some of those areas happen to vaguely connect with SF Bay?

No one in real life uses any statistics. San Francisco and San Jose are more uniform than DC/Balt simply because those cities are older established cities that grew together.
Sorry, thats just the way it is....take a visit someday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 04:16 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
San Francisco and San Jose are more uniform than DC/Balt simply because those cities are older established cities that grew together.
What does this mean in practical terms? San Francisco is the same distance from San Jose as DC is from Baltimore.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:19 PM

637 posts, read 1,015,245 times
Quote:
No one in real life uses any statistics. San Francisco and San Jose are more uniform than DC/Balt simply because those cities are older established cities that grew together.
Sorry, thats just the way it is....take a visit someday
And it is just the way it is that San Jose is a different metro area than San Francisco.

Sorry, that's just the way it is...take a visit there someday.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:26 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
What does this mean in practical terms? San Francisco is the same distance from San Jose as DC is from Baltimore.
I think he means that it is built up in it's entirety and has a pretty good density at that. DC/Bmore does not even compare to that.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I think he means that it is built up in it's entirety and has a pretty good density at that. DC/Bmore does not even compare to that.
This looks pretty built up to me.

The Case for a D.C.-Baltimore Mega-Region - Politics - The Atlantic Cities

Old 05-01-2012, 04:28 PM

54 posts, read 82,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
What foolishness? Is it not true that the 'Bay Area' is 6 different metros conglomerated together? Hell, even back in 1990, Oakland had its own metro area, but rightfully so, its become relegated as a suburb of San Francisco because it is.

I'm sick of people not acknowledging reality. No matter what ANYONE says here, SF Bay is 6 different metros according to the Federal Government.

Again, let's connect these 6 touching metros together and see what happens:

Washington MSA
Baltimore MSA
Philadelphia MSA
New York MSA
Hartford MSA
Boston MSA

It's the same thing: completely arbitrary. I can throw in any 6 metros together to make it seem powerful, but it doesn't translate to real life power.
Just give it a rest already. The Bay Area is NOT 6 different metros. Look I know it's hard for you to understand how things work in the Bay Area, we are not a cookie cutter example of a metro area and that seems to blow your mind.

The Bay Area is not some random 6 metros touching such as your expample of Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York, Hartford, and Boston. SF, SJ, Oakland and it's suburbs share the same transit, media (t.v radio) and sports teams. I live in the East Bay, went to school in San Jose and work in SF...that blows your mind right???

Old 05-01-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFG510 View Post
I live in the East Bay, went to school in San Jose and work in SF...that blows your mind right???
How's that any different from someone who lives in Baltimore City and attends Georgetown Law School? It's just a MARC ride away.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:33 PM

637 posts, read 1,015,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFG510 View Post
Just give it a rest already. The Bay Area is NOT 6 different metros. Look I know it's hard for you to understand how things work in the Bay Area, we are not a cookie cutter example of a metro area and that seems to blow your mind.

The Bay Area is not some random 6 metros touching such as your expample of Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York, Hartford, and Boston. SF, SJ, Oakland and it's suburbs share the same transit, media (t.v radio) and sports teams. I live in the East Bay, went to school in San Jose and work in SF...that blows your mind right???
Contact Us - the U.S. Census Bureau

Call Center: 301-763-INFO (4636) or 800-923-8282
TDD: TTY users can dial 1-800-877-8339 to use the Federal Relay Service
Mailing Address:
Via U.S. Postal Service (USPS):
U.S. Census Bureau
4600 Silver Hill Road
Washington, DC 20233
Via private carriers (FedEx, DHL, UPS, couriers and suppliers):
U.S. Census Bureau
4600 Silver Hill Road
Suitland, MD 20746

All the Bay Area homers should consider writing the US census bureau at these addresses, or perhaps give them a call.

Your personal experiences are nice, but in the real world, the US government defines the 'Bay Area' as having 6 different metropolitan areas. Until that changes, it stands my ground that putting them all together is no different than the Northeastern Megapolis as one area as well, considering they're connected via highways (I-95 and US 1), rail (Acela), and all touch each other.

San Jose has its own sports teams as well: Sharks and Earthquakes. San Francisco Metro lacks a hockey team. There are only 4 highways connecting SF MSA to SJ MSA, US 101, I-280, I-680, and I-880.

Compare that to Dallas-Fort Worth, where there are multitude of highways, streets, and even an airport connecting the two: hence the MSA designation there.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:34 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
In practical terms.......again.
This means that SF/SJ function more as a uniform metro area than DC/Balt

Old 05-01-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
In practical terms.......again.
This means that SF/SJ function more as a uniform metro area than DC/Balt
I read those words the first time. But what does that mean in practical terms when the cities are the same distance apart? People work live in San Jose and work in San Francisco. People live in Baltimore and work in DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City