Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 09:58 AM

26 posts, read 28,501 times

Advertisements

the stereotype that all Philadelphians wear tims and have long beards are so wrong rofl. Where they do that at? Not all of them are muslims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 08:34 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Because there's a double standard and men don't have the same sense of solidarity as the sisters.
Women have more solidarity than men? What does that mean?

They have more of a capacity to form alliances, teams or squads of women, versus men and other men?

I doubt it. I don't think either sex has a monopoly on that!

Old 05-06-2012, 10:24 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Women have more solidarity than men? What does that mean?

They have more of a capacity to form alliances, teams or squads of women, versus men and other men?

I doubt it. I don't think either sex has a monopoly on that!
Have you looked across the media lately? Any kind of media? Advertisements and services that cater to the chicks' desires, young or old. Even "manly" stores like Lowe's and Home Depot are full of the "modern" man which always has to be really good looking. Male-oriented advertisements are often seen as grotesque, juvenile and dismissed as "goofy," but these really are becoming more of a rarity, at least as a percentage of what we're bombareded with from my casual observation. To a great extent, this is understandable since women are the real consumers of this society.

Ever check out meetup.com for any major metropolitan area? Women's group this, girls' night that, women only, ladies' dinner whatever, girlfriends' blah blah. For every one men's group I see, I see literally 20-30 women-oriented groups.

Yes, the sisters have more solidarity...until it's time to catfight for some, then they're out of the trenches.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:47 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Have you looked across the media lately? Any kind of media? Advertisements and services that cater to the chicks' desires, young or old. Even "manly" stores like Lowe's and Home Depot are full of the "modern" man which always has to be really good looking. Male-oriented advertisements are often seen as grotesque, juvenile and dismissed as "goofy," but these really are becoming more of a rarity, at least as a percentage of what we're bombareded with from my casual observation. To a great extent, this is understandable since women are the real consumers of this society.

Ever check out meetup.com for any major metropolitan area? Women's group this, girls' night that, women only, ladies' dinner whatever, girlfriends' blah blah. For every one men's group I see, I see literally 20-30 women-oriented groups.

Yes, the sisters have more solidarity...until it's time to catfight for some, then they're out of the trenches.
I find it hard to believe that women or men really identify at any level of solidarity with another 50% of the population. Really, can people side with members of one sex (eg. their mothers, daughters, sisters, female friends, aunts, nieces vs. fathers, sons, brothers, male friends, uncles, nephews) consistently over another -- that seems rather incredible.

Besides, if you bring up the media, aren't women also stereotyped/depicted as catty and fickle (eg. female friends ditching one another, and female friendships not lasting shortly after after they fight etc. as compared to men). But as well, both men and women frequently end their friendships of the same sex/gender when they get into a relationship or find someone to marry/settle down with. Why is there a cliche that girls' night's outs or guys' nights' outs frequently end because the spouse (husband/wife), and kids take priority, then?

So, it cuts both ways.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:53 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,517,350 times
small towns

Old 05-08-2012, 04:21 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Sullivan View Post
the stereotype that all Philadelphians wear tims and have long beards are so wrong rofl. Where they do that at? Not all of them are muslims.
But a lot of guys do wear Timbs and have Sunni beards. A stereotype by definition does not apply to everyone. But the fact that they exist in the first place is proof that they do not materialize out of thin air. There's always some measure of truth to them.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:27 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,958,846 times
I'd actually say the biggest cities are where a more rugged and masculine guy would be most appreciated by women. Here in NYC, my girlfriend's friends often complain about how there are very few "manly" men here. And the guys I know that fit the more stereotypical rugged and masculine image tend to get A LOT of women here.

I think other big cities like DC, Chicago, Boston, SF, Philly, Miami, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, and especially LA would all be similar in this regard, as these are all places that have a lot of men who are stylish and well-groomed, qualities that are often considered to be more feminine. Basically, people want what isn't easily available to them.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:01 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,257 times
Yuppified cities like DC, Boston, and SF are some of the LAST cities where gritty men ought to be. These places are so yuppified, feminist-filled, passive-aggressive, and PC that men who even have a bit of masculinity will be shot down and seen as either "proles" or "classless".

Old 05-17-2012, 05:06 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,860,367 times
Any city / town / village in Alaska!

Old 05-18-2012, 12:50 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,936 times
Let me give you some sage advice: carry yourself well and women notice. They're like dogs in that respect. Dogs can sense hesitation, lack of confidence, fright, and nervousness, and have keen abilities to read faces. Women are the same. It's been proven scientifically that women can and usually do think logically at some level even when sexually aroused. Men ... obviously, no.

So if you are a "gritty" guy... clean yourself up, wear aftershave and deodorant, practice basic hygiene, and wear more than holed-up baggy pants and your 10 year old beat up t-shirt. Women want a man who is composed. Doesn't matter if I haven't shaved in a few days, I'm not superman physique, and I'm not even making mega-riches, and women still look at me because I'm composed and am confident in myself and know myself and I practice basic hygiene.

To answer your question ... if you are willing to move somewhere based on your lack of ability to follow these simple rules, I have news for you ... NOWHERE will women like what you think consists of a "gritty" guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City