U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Gang Capital of the United States?
Chicago 100 49.75%
Los Angeles 101 50.25%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-22-2012, 08:47 PM

172 posts, read 125,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
Ok genius then explain to me why the camera is already outside with these so called latino gangsters when ross kemp is just arriving to meet them LOL skip to 9:00 and you will see how bogus this is, these guys don't even resemble the hispanic gang members I see in LA

Ross Kemp on Gangs Los Angeles Part 2 - YouTube
Okay GENIUS. I'm sure you're down there mixing it up with the Hispanic gangsters. Don't know what you're talking about, but those dudes in that video DO look like these dudes.

pictures of L.A. Surenos - Google Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-23-2012, 04:16 AM

897 posts, read 267,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichRollin View Post
Okay GENIUS. I'm sure you're down there mixing it up with the Hispanic gangsters. Don't know what you're talking about, but those dudes in that video DO look like these dudes.

pictures of L.A. Surenos - Google Search
LOL it only took you like more than a month to respond and this is the best you can do and nevermind the camera already being outside when kemp first comes outside the car as that is irrelevant to this show being bogus and lets focus on google images

Unread 06-28-2012, 11:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,014 times
Well i was born in chicago and lived in la for seven years. Chicago is much more crime ridden than la, flat out. Yes, la and cally have more different gangs. But gangs and crime are first nature in chitown. Chicago was clockin 600 murders since the seventies. This yearthe city of chicafo outkilled the nations largest county. The only reason there is even a debate is pop culture. Miami and la get alot of tv but the environment in brooklyn, chicago, detroit, baltimore and the areas around em are more ferocious than la, vegas, phoenix and other cities which just started bangin and killing since crack, rap and reagan. Ive walked a lot of la and chi streets alone at night. Police presence in the western states is of such a higher degree. poor Blacks are not as concentrated in the western states. Incomes are higher in the western states. Its just a different environment.

Unread 07-12-2012, 03:15 AM

97 posts, read 66,605 times
I will respond pertaining to the thread not bragging about what city goes harder. But Chicago had gangs and the mafia before LA. Has the most gang member per capita. More gang related killings then LA and has a Chicago gang in LA and NY. I would think Chicago is the gang capitol of America. LA just gets more media attention and people believed what father TV told them. Look how the media is all downs Chicago neck saying we have more murders then Afganistan. Funny thing is Chicago is clocking 450-500 murders a year now. Back in the 1980s and 1990s 960 murders plus with less of a population then LA and NY. That's how the media works...don't believe everything you see.

The City of Los Angeles leads the nation in the number of gang related homicides for two reasons. 1) The popultion of Los Angeles (#2 in the nation) was 3.8 million according to the 2000 US Census and according to recent estimates Los Angeles has over 4 million people. 2) Los Angeles has a very general definition a "gang related murder." When ever there is a victim or assailant involved in a murder it will be defined as gang-related. For example if a woman killed her gang member nephew in a domestic situation, there is a good chance that because the victim was a gang member, that murder will be defined as gang-related. This generic definition of "gang related murder" inflates this true statistics in comparison to other cities, such as Chicago

This is a LA gang based website and the owner even has a article stating that Chicago is the real gang capitol and not LA.

But in the end who gives a ****.....lets keep our kids safe

Last edited by RarelyOffended; 07-12-2012 at 03:30 AM..

Unread 07-12-2012, 02:20 PM

68 posts, read 58,870 times
L.A. for sure. L.A. is well known to have gangs. Chicago probably is known for it too, but not on the level of L.A. at all.

Unread 07-12-2012, 05:04 PM

Chicago is the gang capitol. LA has a Chicago gang in LA the Black P Stones brought over from T Rodgers....Chicago has their gangs all over America and europe. Chicago has about 70-80 gangs with the bigger gangs have set all over the city and suburbs.......Chicago has more gang members then LA and more gang related homicides and always has. Chicago had a higher murder rate then LA and NY. LA has never been the murder capitol EVER. Chicago had gangs since the 1800s alot of good books on it.....the dude who wrote gangs of New York wrote won on Chicago in the 1920s. Chicago had over 1,000 street gangs already in the 1920s.....LA was hyped up in the media thats the only difference. LA is not even worse then st louis or detriot or camden.....lots of media sensationalism.

From a LA based gang website

Los Angeles was given the title, gang capital of the US back in 1988 by Tom Brokaw on a gang documentary. I am not sure if another person preceded Mr. Brokaw with this title, but since then it as stuck, but is that title appropriate for Los Angeles?
Los Angeles, California represents the “biggest” in nearly everything, being the largest city in the most populated State, LA is the capital for everything, including pollution, cars, traffic, guns, illegal immigration, population, etc. So saying that Los Angeles is the gang capital of the US is only true because of the actual numbers, but on a per capita examination, the City of Chicago has more murders and has consistently had more murders related to gangs since 1992, more so than Los Angeles and New York.
The lie I heard was by 790 KABC host Kevin James that Los Angeles is the “gang capital of the world” which is completely untrue. There are so many countries that are plagued with more violent gang activity throughout the world such as Jamaica, South Africa, El Salvador, and Brazil to name a few. Of course he cites absolutely no person or offers no statistics on that claim, but many of his listeners most likely believe this false statement. Although I have used the phrase, “gang capital of the country,” I say this with 100% certainty that Los Angeles is not the “gang capital of the world” and anyone who says so is either ignorant or spewing propaganda.

Unread 07-12-2012, 05:11 PM

Black P stones from Chicago in LA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBcMgmDNZvo

Unread 07-12-2012, 05:14 PM

You can't be a gang capitol if you have another citys biggest gang in the gang capitol just my opinion

Unread 07-12-2012, 05:32 PM

11 posts, read 7,655 times
Default Chicago gangs are worst than L.A. gangs

Chicago have way more gangs than L.A.. Chicago, have 4-ch which is formally known as the 4-corner hustlers, originated from the west side of Chicago's Henry Horner projects around Damen, Madison,Ashland,Lake st, Woods st, Pulina st and the Valley near Adams close to Malcolm X College. Chicago also have the CVL, Which is concervative Vice Lords. TVL, Which is Travelers Vice Lords. Mickey Cobra Snakes. Some Deciples branched off calling they're selves CC Renegades. Spanish Gangs in Chicago, Ambros, Bishops, Saint Deciples, Dragons, and so many other small group gangs around Chicago land. If your planning on moving to Chicago, the out skirts suburban areas are better. south west suburban, some west suburbs, most north suburbs and some south suburbs. Google crimes or killings in Chicago and see for yourself.

Unread 07-12-2012, 05:33 PM

2,685 posts, read 3,360,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post

I mean, its one thing to state facts and have a conversation about the topic, but who wants their city to be known for crime and violence?
Lots and lots of wannabe tough guys. Sad but funny mentality really. It's funny what happens when you have semi-organized street gangs go against a more organized entity such as the military. Should be on the "Darwinism" blooper reel.

LA Riots: National Guard Arrives in Los Angeles - YouTube

I remember hearing a story that a group of gangbangers went up to a National Guard checkpoint and threatened them. Didn't turn out so well, as the last thing that went through some of their minds was a 5.56 mm round from an M-16 carbine from a Desert Storm veteran.

As for the nowadays, it's hard to keep track of the number of gang members because what defines a "gang" is extremely loose. I can just post the murder rate and murder numbers and you can decide what makes more sense.

FBI — Table 8
Los Angeles: 7.6 per 100,000 (293 murders in 2010; countywide it was 624)
Chicago: 15.2 per 100,000 (493 murders in 2010)

Now many of the most infested gang areas fall outside of the city of Los Angeles' jurisdiction, such as Compton or Willowbrook, which is why I added the county number. Though, 624 out of nearly 10 million would mean a murder rate of a mere 6.3 per 100,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City