Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Boston or Seattle
Boston 35 47.30%
Seattle 39 52.70%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 09:08 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrikeArghast View Post
Is the Sound too cold to swim in? Or too dirty? I know the Pacific up there definitely is... but since Puget Sound is so sheltered, does it heat up?
It is too cold. The sandy beaches you see are an anomaly. Alkai (West Seattle) has sand. Carkeek (North Seattle) is pebbly and mossy. Most of them are pebbly. Most of Lake Washington has no sandy beaches, that's why the houses, with docks, are built right at the shoreline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 09:48 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
It is too cold. The sandy beaches you see are an anomaly. Alkai (West Seattle) has sand. Carkeek (North Seattle) is pebbly and mossy. Most of them are pebbly. Most of Lake Washington has no sandy beaches, that's why the houses, with docks, are built right at the shoreline.
Sandy beaches on a lake? No, but there are quite a few places along the lake where people DO swim.

Also I took these in February along the sound. Maybe you can't swim in February but at least you can go hang out at the beach in the winter.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:53 PM

422 posts, read 815,395 times
Great pics. Surprised nobody pulled out the Beantown pics.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:20 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,866,378 times
Quote:
Its spelt "Alki", not Alkai.

And there are definitely sandy beaches to be found, even on Lake Washington. From memory alone: Seward Park, Golden Gardens, Gene Coulon Beach park, Kennydale Beach park, Newcastle Beach Park, Enatai Beach park, Chism Park, Kirkland Marina Park. I know there's more sandy beaches on the northern parts of Lk WA because friends talk about it. And these are not obscure parks-- lots of people frequent at these parks.

Anyone who says there's hardly any sandy beaches in the Seattle obviously hasn't got out enough.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:36 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Its spelt "Alki", not Alkai.

And there are definitely sandy beaches to be found, even on Lake Washington. From memory alone: Seward Park, Golden Gardens, Gene Coulon Beach park, Kennydale Beach park, Newcastle Beach Park, Enatai Beach park, Chism Park, Kirkland Marina Park. I know there's more sandy beaches on the northern parts of Lk WA because friends talk about it. And these are not obscure parks-- lots of people frequent at these parks.

Anyone who says there's hardly any sandy beaches in the Seattle obviously hasn't got out enough.
I lived in Bellevue, close enough to Enatai, and in Kirkland, north of Totem Lake. Both of them are real small areas.

I'm not saying they are not beautiful areas. They are. I liked East Side living. However, sandy beaches are the norm in southern New England. I think the north coast of Maine starts turning rocky.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:24 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,866,378 times
Quote:
I lived in Bellevue, close enough to Enatai, and in Kirkland, north of Totem Lake. Both of them are real small areas.

I'm not saying they are not beautiful areas. They are. I liked East Side living. However, sandy beaches are the norm in southern New England. I think the north coast of Maine starts turning rocky.
No one is disputing that sandy beaches are the norm in southern New England, nor of its beauty.

If anything, to me, that gives Seattle, WA an edge because there's more of a variety of beaches you can attend to. If someone doesn't like sand because it gets into everything... then a pebble beach would work out for him/her beautifully. If someone's into sandy beaches and sandy beaches only-- Seattle does have that in abundance. I was addressing to this in particular:

Quote:
There *are* sandy beaches for both Puget Sound and Lake Washington.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrikeArghast View Post
Is the Sound too cold to swim in? Or too dirty? I know the Pacific up there definitely is... but since Puget Sound is so sheltered, does it heat up?
People do swim in it. And I guess it would require some acclimation for a lot of people-- its never been a problem for me; its quite refreshing!

Water is clean!

Puget Sound doesn't "heat up". If for whatever reason, you just can't acclimate to the cold water, then you have the smaller lakes in the area that you can swim in.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:36 AM

159 posts, read 428,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Also I took these in February along the sound. Maybe you can't swim in February but at least you can go hang out at the beach in the winter.
Just lovely pictures of the Olympics. Lovely.

Those have to be some of the most dramatic mountains in the country.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:02 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,648,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Puget Sound doesn't "heat up". .
While absolutely true of the Puget Sound itself as a whole per se (Average Water Temp in January is 45 degrees,July is 53), shallow estuaries do warm up. Water along some areas of the Hood Canal for example reaches 70 or so.

If you jump in the main body of The Puget Sound even in July, it's riverdick time.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:53 PM

422 posts, read 815,395 times
Seattle is very picturesque. Considering the mountains and ocean, it's almost in a league of its own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City